Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taped holes in rear hub

+7
Steam Traction World
Steve H
Kiwiconnection
hartshaulage
Pitpup
Phil Uridge
chas12154
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Taped holes in rear hub - Page 2 Empty Re: Taped holes in rear hub

Post  Steam Traction World Mon 10 Aug 2015, 12:43 pm

Hi Charlie,

Glad it's being sorted. Steve's normally pretty good to be fair and tends to get stuff out/replaced a lot quicker and more efficiently than i do (i'd like to blame having more to do than him but that would be unfair lol).

Doesn't matter how small a problem is, it is still a problem and at the end of the day they shouldn't happen but as realists we know it does, so just let us know (Steve by phone if you need it quickly) and we will do our very best to deal with it promptly so we don't deal the build or spoil your enjoyment.

All being well your new hub should leave here when Isabel (another more efficient than me!!) goes to the post office tomorrow.

Regards

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Taped holes in rear hub - Page 2 Empty Taped holes in rear hub

Post  chas12154 Mon 10 Aug 2015, 12:50 pm

Thanks Dean for your reply and help with my problem.
Looking forward to continuing with my build soon as part arrives.

Charlie

chas12154

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2015-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Mon 10 Aug 2015, 9:01 pm

I see some folks saying they cost a lot of money, to be honest I think they are a steal at the price when you put into context the tools and skills you'd need to build from scratch.
At the shows I've attended this year when I say its just like a meccano on steroids it surprises folks. I've seen several people walk away tapping furiously on their phone when I mention STW (presumably on google) and the price rarely seems an issue. Even though I havent built mine (due to free time and space really) the fact you dont need to be an engineer as such to own one really does have a lot of appeal it seems.
I've yet to see when something goes a little wrong STW not sort it out, yeah its a bit annoying I expect but not half as annoying turning something yourself for days and then realising you've undersized it or the tool blunts just at the wrong moment and you have to start all over again.
I've called them with a small problem with mine last year and even though I bought 2nd hand, I cannot fault the fast friendly service which WAS why I bought one rather than a scratch built, having that kind of support is brilliant and brings ownership to many, like myself, who could never think of running such an engine Cool

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Tue 11 Aug 2015, 8:44 am

Well said "LiveSteam" my thoughts entirely.

Steve H Very Happy
Steve H
Steve H

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2014-03-07

Back to top Go down

Taped holes in rear hub - Page 2 Empty Taped holes in rear hub

Post  chas12154 Wed 12 Aug 2015, 6:56 pm

Got my replacement hub today, all fitted together now.
Want to thank STW, Steve and Dean for your help in resolving my problem.
I hope now to continual my build and will post some more pics on my thread "My Burrell New Build" shortly

Thanks again STW

Charlie

chas12154

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2015-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Pitpup Fri 14 Aug 2015, 8:15 am

Looks like we are all happy again which is good. In terms of sorting my tapped hole length..I simply bought some shorter screws from our friendly ebay...keep up the good work STW.
Pitpup
Pitpup

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2015-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy_jim Thu 20 Aug 2015, 10:48 am

I had exactly the same problems with hubs. I would like to emphasise what other people have said. If your engine was simply a very heavy air fix kit it wouldn't be as much fun to build. Part of the labour of love with these things is running taps down threads/de burring sharp edges from machining etc.
the beauty of STW doing the hard part is that you as the customer get to time to put that finishing touch onto whichever machine you are building.
I'm a mechanical engineer by trade so may be slightly biased but no way would I have been able to manufacture an engine myself to the precision of these kits. My hornplates slide onto my tender as if they were a machined pair and my boiler lined up with the smokestack, cylinder block, and hornplates like they were all made together. They weren't some parts have been assembled 18 months apart! The level of precision at the 2" level is a marvel. It is not without its issues and there are plenty of people on the forum and indeed on the end of the phone to help. We pay a lot for our kits I know (wife doesn't) but trimming the odd bolt and running taps into holes is no hardship for me it's part of the hobby.
Crazy_jim
Crazy_jim

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2012-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King Thu 20 Aug 2015, 12:11 pm

I totally agree jim. Part of the appeal of these kits is having to make minor alterations, to correct small issues. It would all be rather boring otherwise. Credit has to go to STW considering the diversity of the different kits being sent out each month, and getting the vast majority spot on.
Mike

Mike King

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2014-09-04

http://www.mikekingphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  chrisnchrisroberts Thu 20 Aug 2015, 10:21 pm

I agree. I did not expect a Rolls Royce product. As a Marine Engineer and a Fitter and Turner, I am used to finishing machined parts and assembling them. I knew I didn't have the time to start from scratch and to get the chance to build a 2" was a sudden opportunity. I saw it at the Warwick show in 2007 and was down to Daventry straight after. Building it in Australia I knew there was not the opportunity to "send parts back". Yes I did have to do a few corrections but I was ready for that. To me, it is an excellent STW product.

chrisnchrisroberts

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2