Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taped holes in rear hub

+7
Steam Traction World
Steve H
Kiwiconnection
hartshaulage
Pitpup
Phil Uridge
chas12154
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Taped holes in rear hub Empty Taped holes in rear hub

Post  chas12154 Mon 03 Aug 2015, 5:59 pm

Hi all, can I ask has anyone else had problems with the spoke holes in hub, not been taped long enough to get M4 bolts in tight?
I had the same problem with the outer cover M3 boit threads.
I contacted Steve and he sent me a M3 tap, which solved the problem.
I have now ordered a set of taps n dias off Amazon, which should be here tomorrow.

If Steve or dean reads this, I would be grateful for a reply from STW, about this problem.

Charlie

chas12154

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2015-01-21

Back to top Go down

Taped holes in rear hub Empty Re: Taped holes in rear hub

Post  Phil Uridge Mon 03 Aug 2015, 7:09 pm

Charlie,

Yes I had the same problem. I ran a tape down them all in the end. All fitted ok after that.

Phil

Phil Uridge

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2015-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Mon 03 Aug 2015, 7:21 pm

Hi Phil, glad I'm not the only one lol! Hopefully taps will be here tomorrow. I thought it best to get a set, in case needed in the future.

Charlie

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  Pitpup Wed 05 Aug 2015, 4:14 pm

Hi...I had the same problem. After speaking with STW they said that they are aware of the problem. They cannot tap the hole any deeper as it would break through and the advised me to cut the screws down. I simply went on ebay and bought some shorter length ones....STW said they were unable to find shorter one. To be fair to STW it took me a very long time to find them. Not knocking STW here.....iv found them very supportive all the way.
Pitpup
Pitpup

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2015-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Wed 05 Aug 2015, 7:13 pm

Hi pitpup, the holes were deep enough just wasn't threaded all the way to the bottom. I understand the problem with the casting thickness, but the hole had been drilled!
I've since had the same problem with the spokes holes not being taped all the way to the bottom of the drilled hole.
Contacted Steve today, at STW, he is going to put a replacement hub in the post. Checking that the holes are threaded long enough to take the screws.
I or you, shouldn't have to rectify the problems ourself, that why we are paying STW for the machined kits.

Charlie

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  Pitpup Thu 06 Aug 2015, 8:12 am

Thanks for the reply....it's dissapointing that they are giving out diffrence messages to diffrence customers. Yes you correct we shouldn't have to put things right ourself....after all...theses things are not cheap.
Pitpup
Pitpup

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Thu 06 Aug 2015, 8:32 am

It is disappointing Pitpup, as you say, it is not cheap and it is advertised, as only needing hand tools to build the kits.
I think all we can do is contact STW when we have problems, as we are paying for technical help too.

Charlie

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  Pitpup Thu 06 Aug 2015, 4:31 pm

I 100% agree....but sometimes I think if you can sort the small problems yourself....it's easier than the chew of returning things. Anyway.....how you getting on with your rear wheels...any pics to share ?
Pitpup
Pitpup

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Thu 06 Aug 2015, 4:37 pm

Hi pitpup, got to ask, why pitpup? Anyway, at a stand still till I get new hub from STW. Got a few pics of smokebox and perch bracket that Ive painted. Will post them on my thread, my burrell new build sometime soon.

Charlie

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  Pitpup Fri 07 Aug 2015, 7:10 am

It's an old works nickname that stuck......iv a few pics to post also and will when I get back off my holidays. It sounds like we are at the same stage in build and maybe on the same production run.
Pitpup
Pitpup

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Fri 07 Aug 2015, 11:01 am

Things from work do tend to stick!! lol. Yes maybe we are, Im on what they call "catch up", As I got my first kit after they started the production run. Im on kit 4 at present and still waiting for replacement hub to arrive.
Thought it would of been here yesterday, its got me thinking, that all the rear wheel hubs, they have con stock, has the same problem with the threads.
Be good to see your progress and we can see how we both processed as the mouths and build progresses.

Charlie

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  Pitpup Fri 07 Aug 2015, 11:52 am

I'm on kit four myself...kit five came with it also....I'm not sure if I'm on catch up or in the correct sequence as when kit four wasn't available they offered me kit nine to keep me going !!!. I declined and waited for kit four which came about 3 weeks ago now along with five. Both my hubs have the same problem...spoke screw holes too short and also the outer hub cover screw holes.
Pitpup
Pitpup

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Fri 07 Aug 2015, 2:13 pm

Seems we have a lot in common, both having the same problems. I really dont see how the holes/threads are wrong, as I was told, with each production run they do, they make a model to make sure the parts fit together properly.

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  Pitpup Fri 07 Aug 2015, 2:25 pm

Yes that's what I was told also....in fact I had to wait a couple of extra day for my kits 4 and 5 to be sent as they said they were still on with the production model test and didn't want to send prior to it being done.
Pitpup
Pitpup

Back to top Go down

Taped holes in rear hub Empty t

Post  chas12154 Fri 07 Aug 2015, 2:29 pm

You think we are being told porkys! If they do make a model, how have the parts been sent out and not fit together as meant to!

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  Pitpup Fri 07 Aug 2015, 5:43 pm

Maybe one of the STW team could comment?
Pitpup
Pitpup

Back to top Go down

Post  hartshaulage Fri 07 Aug 2015, 8:05 pm

Im not building the 2 burrell but i am building the 4.5 Foden and i to wonder sometimes how somethings that are meant to have been tested and quality control checked slip through

Russ
hartshaulage
hartshaulage

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2014-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwiconnection Fri 07 Aug 2015, 11:11 pm

As a matter of course all holes should be checked and deburred, and threads should have a tap run down the hole to clean up the thread and remove any residual swarf and cuttings, especially blind holes. This is just basic engineering common sense. Exclamation
Kiwiconnection
Kiwiconnection

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  hartshaulage Sat 08 Aug 2015, 8:35 am

Yes there is that but if like these 2 builders its tapped half way and not all the way your not going to want to force it to make new threads in the fear it may damage something further down and cause more problems

Russ
hartshaulage
hartshaulage

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2014-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Sat 08 Aug 2015, 1:04 pm

Think Ive started something on here!! Im guess quite a few have had similar problems with other sized kits?
We all have paid out good money for these kits and expect them to be right.

Charlie

P.S. A comment from STW, would be good.

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  Pitpup Sun 09 Aug 2015, 4:32 pm

Kiwiconnection your input is a bit off the mark....yes things need cleaning up but the holes we are talking about just simply are NOT tapped deep enough...when you add this to the fact that a production model has been completed for the batch......it's simply not acceptable given the money these things cost.
Pitpup
Pitpup

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Sun 09 Aug 2015, 8:19 pm

I trimmed down the ones that were to long,after trying them dry fit.
At the end of the day, I didn't expect to just be able to throw this kit together,that would be boring.
Steve H
Steve H
Steve H

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2014-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Mon 10 Aug 2015, 11:18 am

Morning all,

Okay a number of options are available should any one come across an issue (whether its a part they are unhappy with or something as simple as a hole not tapped deep enough)

The first thing to do is let us know. This gives us the chance to check what we have in stock to ensure it is not an issue with everything left in stock and then also to be proactive and let other customers know.

When you are on the phone we will then give you a number of choices. (lets take the hole that isn't tapped deep enough as an example)

A. Return the part (we will even reimburse the postage!). We will then tap the hole deeper and return it to you. (or send you a replacement.)
B. If you are happy to do so and don't want to send the part back we will send you a tap. You can then manually tap it slightly deeper.

Personally though i'd do none of the above and take the easy option and trim the fastener(s) down a couple of mm with a file/hacksaw. Most of Steve's designs are over engineered and there are more than enough fasteners and depth of thread in every assembly for it not to be an issue.

On a separate note:

Just because you find an issue with something in your box does NOT mean we haven't put a control model together or are telling porkies. It simply means something has slipped through. We do not check every single part or fit every single item. We fit mating parts together as we are producing them and then put together the complete assembly from a finished kit from packing prior to despatching the batch. If this goes together without any issues we then ship. As items have been manufactured using CNC machines and jigs etc everything should be the same however it is not totally fool proof. It catches a lot of issues but something as simple as changing a drill part way through the batch and the setter not tightening it up enough (so the drill slowly slips back in the chuck) can and does happen.

I'm pretty sure during the course of your build you will each find a number of things that annoy/hold up/have to be returned. Hopefully these will be minimal but it will be inevitable as we are making 50's, 100's or more and not just your part. We will try to deal with this as quickly as we can if you contact us by phone or email. Unfortunately we don't have time to be checking the forum every day as we are trying to concentrate on getting the kits out on time. The forum tends to be something we tend to look at an evening when we've finished work or on an evening at a rally to pass the time. If we have not responded to something on the forum quickly the chances are we have NOT seen it and you are far better getting in touch directly.

Hope this helps and answers your queries.

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Mon 10 Aug 2015, 11:29 am

Reading through the messages again, i see the options i posted are what have been already been done and addressed by Steve.

A number of posts have asked for a response from STW. What would you like a response to? (how we are going to deal with it? why it's happened?). If you could be specific then i will do my best to post an answer more relevant.

Thanks

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Mon 10 Aug 2015, 12:20 pm

Good Morning Dean, Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I am happy with the service I'm receiving from you all at STW.
I understand that you can't check every part that is manufactured and mistakes happen, after all, we are human!
Building a working model from kits, is a good thing for me, I haven't a engineering background, so something small, to you, is a hard thing to get around. I'm making progress, although slow, with my build and enjoying the experience.

The problems I have had, has been sorted out with a phone call to STW, they are always very helpful in helping with problem.

I am now waiting for the replacement hub to arrive.

Many thanks Charlie

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next