Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Misalignment Of Cylinder Block Holes

4 posters

Go down

Misalignment Of Cylinder Block Holes Empty Misalignment Of Cylinder Block Holes

Post  steamlaser Tue 21 Mar 2017, 5:14 pm

I tried to mount the cylinder block onto the boiler yesterday, most of the studs went in except down one side. Before I have to dismount the block and possibly have to machine out holes in the cylinder block, has anybody had the same problem?
If I attempt to force in the studs the danger is that I will wreck the threads in the boiler barrel!
Thanks

steamlaser

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2014-11-13

Back to top Go down

Misalignment Of Cylinder Block Holes Empty Re: Misalignment Of Cylinder Block Holes

Post  Mike King Tue 21 Mar 2017, 5:25 pm

Did you try it with the gasket?
Mike

Mike King

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2014-09-04

http://www.mikekingphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Misalignment Of Cylinder Block Holes Empty Misalignment of Cylinder Block holes

Post  steamlaser Tue 21 Mar 2017, 6:45 pm

I made the silly mistake of not offering up the block to the boiler in a dry run before putting on the Frolic paste. I had assumed that all the holes aligned properly.
Currently the gasket is on and all the studs on the one side and the middle are in. I tried to ease the block over with all the bolts loose, but the misalignment is more than a mm in at least one hole.
The block is pulled down equally and all surfaces are mating equally.
I do not want to start boring out mounting holes at this stage!

steamlaser

Back to top Go down

Misalignment Of Cylinder Block Holes Empty Re: Misalignment Of Cylinder Block Holes

Post  Mike King Tue 21 Mar 2017, 7:33 pm

If i remember correctly, you should put the four centre studs in first, then slip the cylinder over them, and then all being well, screw each stud down into the boiler after you have located the cylinder onto the boiler. I definately would not machine the holes as the exact location od the cylinder is meant tobe the alignment reference for the crank.
Mike

Mike King

Back to top Go down

Post  steamlaser Tue 21 Mar 2017, 8:39 pm

Mike King wrote:If i remember correctly, you should put the four centre studs in first, then slip the cylinder over them, and then all being well, screw each stud down into the boiler after you have located the cylinder onto the boiler. I definately would not machine the holes as the exact location od the cylinder is meant tobe the alignment reference for the crank.
   Mike

I did follow the standard procedure of putting the studs in in the correct sequence ,pulling the nuts down with equal pressure and in the right sequence.
The errors in the hole alignment are not uniform which indicates that the boiler inserts may be out.

I agree that messing around with the holes in the block may cause incorrect alignment of the cylinder. However if 75% of the studs go in normally ,I may be able to open out the remaining holes and retain the original location of the block.
I am held up once again!

steamlaser

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King Tue 21 Mar 2017, 9:02 pm

I reckon that this being the case, it doesnt seem right. Just a thought, do the holes in the gasket line up best with the cylinder holes or the boiler holes? I would definately contact Steve at STW for advice.
      Mike

Last edited by Mike King on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional information)

Mike King

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Wed 22 Mar 2017, 4:34 pm

Hi, I agree with Mike. Before drilling out the holes I would get in touch with Steve. The position of the cylinder block is vital for the alignment for the crank. As I remember when I done mine, I put the cylinder block on with the gasket for a dry run without the folic paste. It is quite a tight fit to get the grub screws in but if you do it as it says in the instructions and line them up it should fit.
Contacting Steve would be the way to go before making any adjustments to the block

Charlie

chas12154

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2015-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Thu 23 Mar 2017, 8:48 am

Hi steamlaser,

We've not had an issue like this previously that i can recall. All the holes in the barrell are put in on a cnc machine prior to even manufacturing the boiler, using the same programme code we've always used.

Give Steve a bell to discuss as it sounds like the order you are doing it is correct and he will advice accordingly.

Regards

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Misalignment Of Cylinder Block Holes Empty Mis alignment

Post  steamlaser Thu 23 Mar 2017, 11:13 pm

Steam Traction World wrote:Hi steamlaser,

We've not had an issue like this previously that i can recall. All the holes in the barrell are put in on a cnc machine prior to even manufacturing the boiler, using the same programme code we've always used.

Give Steve a bell to discuss as it sounds like the order you are doing it is correct and he will advice accordingly.

Regards

Dean
I have done a dry assembly and there still appear to have a problem. Rather that overreact, I will take my bits to the club on Sunday and get a very experienced constructer to look over my shoulder as I reassemble the components.
I think a calm fresh approach is now needed and we will then see if the problem resolves itself.

steamlaser

Back to top Go down

Misalignment Of Cylinder Block Holes Empty Mis alignment

Post  steamlaser Mon 27 Mar 2017, 10:34 pm

Problem on the way to being solved. I received a phone call from Dean to suggest that I send the Cylinder Block and Boiler back to Daventry for investigation and rectification of the problem.
Boiler etc. goes back tomorrow and hopefully I will soon be able to move forward again.
Many thanks Steve and Dean!

steamlaser

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down