Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DCC Cylinder Block

+2
bjwlancashire
Steam Traction World
6 posters

Go down

DCC  Cylinder Block Empty DCC Cylinder Block

Post  Steam Traction World Thu 28 Feb 2013, 9:01 am

Brian has had a major issue with his DCC Cylinder on his engine 'Blackbeard'. The thread is under Owners Photos. I feel however that it is appropriate to copy it here as well.

I really feel for Brian having this problem with his cylinder block. I know from personal experience just how disheartening and frustrating it can be. The cylinder on my chain track is a mark II.

This is the second failure we’ve had following field trials and they’ve both suffered problems in the same area. That is, between the exhaust and main steam inlet cores. I had chance to have a good look at the first failure and surprisingly the material thickness between the two cores was quite thick. There was also no indication that any of the cores had broken during casting. I’ve raised the issue with the foundry but even they have not been able to offer an explanation.

We give every cylinder a thorough examination before we start machining it as there’s over ten hours of machining in every block, let a lone the set up time. Included in this examination is an extensive prodding and poking around every core primarily to dislodge any remaining core sand. Both failures are quite visible now. I’m sure we would have seen this on our inspection, or at least we should have done. All I can conclude is that there may have been some crud present that obscured the fault from view. Perhaps the steaming/pressure dislodged it? To be honest though, I wouldn’t have predicted any problems in this area of the block, I expected them to be at the other end which is the highest point when they’re cast.

Without trying to diminish the impact on Brian personally, to some extent these sorts of problems are to be expected. With some 29 cores in each block it represents a very complicated casting indeed. That’s partly why we cut the first few casting up and why we pressure impregnate each casting after they’re machined. We initially investigated various forms of NDT such as ultrasound and x-ray but neither of these processes seemed particularly helpful because of the cylinders internal construction. They were very expensive as well.

For future production, we’re going to pressure test the main steam passage to the regulator chamber. This may not eliminate all potential internal problems but it would have found the problem in both Brian’s and the previous case.

Finally, I just want to comment on Brian’s observations on the use of Foliac. DON’T SKRIMP ON IT, particularly on the boiler to cylinder jointing. I would rather deal any mess it creates rather than have to take the block off because of inadequate application. Again I speak from personal experience.

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

DCC  Cylinder Block Empty Re: DCC Cylinder Block

Post  bjwlancashire Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:54 am

Steam Traction World wrote:Guys,

You'll be pleased to know that the big machine was repaired at the end of last week so as soon as we've machined the boilers that are scheduled on next the replacement blocks will be on as the next priority.

Dean

17th March 2013

Dean/Steve

Please can we have an update on the Cylinder Block machining progress today?????????

Regards

Brian / Brian M / AN Other (forgot the name of the third one)
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster Sat 06 Apr 2013, 7:10 am

my block has the fault too Sad

Kev
Kevster
Kevster

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Flasback Sat 06 Apr 2013, 4:00 pm

sorry to hear that Kev, at what point did you find out you had a problem? I know Brian M has now stripped his engine and the block is on the garage floor, he is using is as a stress breaker and kicks it every time he walks past it (with shoes on of cause).

Hope its fixed soon.

Dwain

Flasback

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster Sat 06 Apr 2013, 6:16 pm

I dont have as much attached to the cylinder as some, so my pain is slightly less,

All the studs, covers, slide bars, pistons and glands need to be removed from the faulty block, so not as bad as it could be.

Yes be good to get the new block on and back to where i was.

Thats a good idea for the block!

Damn shame though after all the work involved in machining etc.

Only found the fault after the threads about it on here so thought i would have a poke around and there it was.

Kev
Kevster
Kevster

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Sat 06 Apr 2013, 8:31 pm

Sorry to here that Kev, join the club. So are you the third person I could not remember of are you no 4?

Brian

PS: my block will either be used as a scale load or a planter for my wife's Strawberry plants!

bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian M Sun 07 Apr 2013, 10:11 am

Hi Kev,

Sorry to hear that. I must admit it only took a weekend to remove the components and bubble wrap the parts.

Lucky you only had the motion work attached, I had everything on No .

Still, I have been able to make a few mods with the engine striped. I am having a lot of help and learning a lot about the engine, so it will be better once put back then if the cylinder block had not failed Very Happy .

After the initial horror of the failure, have a few days off and it will all appear better.

(PS. Welcome to the select club Smile )

All the best,

Brian M
Brian M
Brian M

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Mon 08 Apr 2013, 6:21 pm

Mark has started on the cylinder blocks today Cool
craig@STW
craig@STW

Number of posts : 1410
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Tue 23 Apr 2013, 9:32 am

Craig

Can you please give us an update on the cylinder block progress. it is two weeks since they went on the machines so not allowing for any additional hours worked other than the 40 hour week they must be just passed halfway now.

Regards

Brian / Brian M / Kevster
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Tue 23 Apr 2013, 10:06 am

Brian,

Craig did put an update on the 'production guide' at the weekend which included a photo and update about the cylinders.

Things are progressing nicely with about 4 ops of the 13 done. This is about where we expected him to be and keeps him on target for the end of the month completion as initially stated.

Cheers

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Tue 23 Apr 2013, 12:44 pm

Sorry Dean, I had not noticed that. Been away for the weekend at Riverside rally with Blackbeard advertising your company.

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:07 pm

Awesome Brian, hope it went well & u sold at least a couple lol

Please be assured we are doing everything possible to get the guys who ended up with the badly cast blocks their replacements as a matter of urgency. We are conscious of the inconvenience it has caused you and that the show season is already upon us.

While Mark is stuck doing the blocks though it does leave Craig doing almost everything else CNC production wise so the updates might take a bit of a back seat until all completed.

The long ops (hour+) on the blocks have now been done though so the remaining 9 or so ops shouldn't take too long. Very Happy

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Tue 30 Apr 2013, 5:53 pm

Dean

What is the status regarding the blocks as of today, the end of April.

Can you confirm what day you expect to be shipping them out after final leak testing??

Regards

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down