Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Build so far

+13
bazzer
its-me
LiveSteam
hartshaulage
chas12154
lynnr
Pitpup
phil gomez
Mike King
IanR
Tony King
Steve H
Crazy_jim
17 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Build so far - Page 7 Empty Re: Build so far

Post  lynnr Fri 02 Sep 2016, 6:15 pm

Talk with Steve. For definitive and he most likely send you some.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Uridge Sun 11 Sep 2016, 6:12 pm

Hi Jim,

Can't help you with your nuts but am very impressed with your build. I am quite a ways behind you but leaning a lot from your build. I am letting my kits build up until the winter months so I can build and paint in some sort of order.  Many thanks for the photos.

Phil

Phil Uridge

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2015-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  wingman Sun 11 Sep 2016, 8:48 pm

Hi Jim,
Just wanted to say what a great job your doing on your engine ,love the colour scheme, I went for plum which I think is lovely too.
Where are you at now with your build?

Regards John.

wingman

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2016-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy_jim Sun 11 Sep 2016, 10:28 pm

Gentlemen than you very much for your kind words. She's coming together nicely with what will be a four year love affair when she is complete.
With regards to the nuts I ordered some M2.5 nuts that fit nice and snug. I have a sneaking suspicion that the threads on the studs may have been stripped when the boiler had its hydraulic test. No way of knowing I guess but you can be sure I wasn't about to disassemble everything and send it back!
I have attached some further build photos from the weekend.

Build so far - Page 7 Bca163e7b5944c67424cad77ce00c24c_zpsgz2xoi0v

Pic showing the lifting link and reverser coming together. A lot of filing and sanding to get a good finish and well as a smooth action.
Crazy_jim
Crazy_jim

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2012-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy_jim Sun 11 Sep 2016, 10:36 pm

Build so far - Page 7 30da0fe95c0163d0cffe783c1c97d87b_zpsz4hxtrxu

This is an overhead shot of the eccentric bearings. What a lick of an afternoon. Put the last one on and rotated to check for high spots only to discover that the upper bearing fouled the plumbing underneath! So out came the crankshaft, bearings, connecting rod, gears, re-adjust the elbow, overcome the slight misalignment with the pipe work, deal with soft brass threads not wanting to bite/cross thread, put it all back together.
Fortunately for my sanity and the south of England's gin supply everything now turns over nicely - slight bum twitching moment.

Build so far - Page 7 7687bef69dbd47b5e8fc6e0ffc4a1735_zpsfdoibtuj

Brass oiler now fitted along with a few other bits but I will take some photos next time I'm in the shed.
Crazy_jim
Crazy_jim

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy_jim Wed 28 Sep 2016, 1:32 pm

How long are people sight glass? I have a sneaking suspicion I have a sight glass for a 4" and not a 2" scale model as its nearly five inches long??
Crazy_jim
Crazy_jim

Back to top Go down

Post  IanR Wed 28 Sep 2016, 1:40 pm

Just unpacked my Kit 22. My glass is about 5" long as well. Don't know if you're supposed to cut it to length? Haven't read the instructions uet.

IanR

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2012-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Wed 28 Sep 2016, 2:18 pm

Crazy_jim wrote:How long are people sight glass? I have a sneaking suspicion I have a sight glass for a 4" and not a 2" scale model as its nearly five inches long??

measure the length required making sure it doesn't block either top or bottom water inlet, nick the glass with a needle file in the position you want the break hold in both hand and flex it with the nick away from you (fingers looped around and thumbs against the glass near the nick, push with the thumbs pull with the fingers) it will snap cleanly at the nick position. remove any sharp edges with some fine wet and dry.
Most of all watch your fingers.
You get a couple from each 6" length

Ian

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Pitpup Fri 21 Oct 2016, 10:09 pm

Can you please tell me the fitting sequence for axle feedpump. I have spent a while now always ending up with not having access to one or more of the fastenings. It looks like an impossible task at present but I know it's not. Any help most welcome.
Pitpup
Pitpup

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2015-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy_jim Sun 10 Sep 2017, 12:13 pm

Photobucket want money to host my pictures on a third party site like this one. Slightly annoying as it used to be free and now no one can see my build. Ho hum.
After over 5 years I'm nearly ready for steaming which is exciting/scary all at the same time.

Does anyone know a decent free site I can use to upload photos to the forum?
Crazy_jim
Crazy_jim

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Sun 10 Sep 2017, 12:23 pm

Hi, yes I'm in the same boat as you. I've always used photobucket to upload photos. I have come to end of my build now, have steamed once. All the photos, over the last 2 years, have been hidden. I have found that Imgur is a good and easy way to up load photos on here.
Hope your steaming goes well and you get to enjoy all your years of work.

Charlie

chas12154

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2015-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy_jim Sun 10 Sep 2017, 8:44 pm

Thanks Chas I will give that one a look.

In other news how do people prime thier engines with water? I've read through the instructions provided by STW but wasn't sure what people have found works best for them? Is anyone using water treatment in thier boiler? If so what are you using and how are you adding it?

My engine is running backwards currently but if I try and time the slide valve the other way it fouls against the side of the valve chest and I can't turn the engine over?

Also has anybody had any issues with the valve chest studs being really brittle? I've snapped 3 today trying to get an air tight seal and one sheared under off when I built the air up to 100psi pressure.
Crazy_jim
Crazy_jim

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy_jim Sun 10 Sep 2017, 9:42 pm

https://imgur.com/a/ajcOP

Rather than go around the houses. Here is the link to all my images so far of the engine build. Enjoy.
Crazy_jim
Crazy_jim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7