Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Spray Gun?

4 posters

Go down

What Spray Gun? Empty What Spray Gun?

Post  Dan Wed 21 Sep 2011, 10:36 pm

I've been reading 'How (not) to paint a locomotive'. In the book, the author Chris Vine, suggests a gun which is just under 300 pounds. Given that I have obtained good results with a spray can (at least the first half of it before it starts to splatter), why should I go out and spend such amounts when I can get something for 10 times less?

Chris suggests an Accuspray Isaac (now owned by 3M). You can also get loads of other pieces of expensive kit but there are cheaper options. For instance:

DeVilbiss SLG-610 Starting Line 1.3mm Spraygun

Or this from MachineMart:

Clarke AP16GF Gravity Fed Spray Gun

What are other builders using? Can you achieve good results from cheap kit and a bit of savvy or do we buy expensive kit and let the tools do the job?

study

Dan
Dan

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2011-09-07

Back to top Go down

What Spray Gun? Empty What gun

Post  lynnr Thu 22 Sep 2011, 8:23 am

Hi Dan

I use a Upol HVLP "touch up" gun for most of my spraying. See my photo threads for results. It gives fine control, small form factor and as the tank is not very big easy to get in around the spokes and hubs. I use single use mixing cups and pass the mixed paint though a filter into the gun tank. Follow the psi and volume settings to the letter.

Coverage wise. The small touch-up gun tank will do a single coat of a rear wheel, 3 tanks done the cleading. Belly tank and tender each used 3 or 4 for a single spray session. I use a larger gun when using the high build primer as the particle size can clog the small bore of the touch-up gun. The grade of gun also dictates the control you have. Pressure adjust, trigger strength and distance for pre-air then paint, needle position for radius of spray and directional air ducts for fan rotation.

My large gun was about £150 and the small touch-up was £89. It does make a huge difference between so called home pro and actual pro guns.

The biggest difference is cleanliness. Pro guns come apart very extensively for cleaning and can handle being taken apart more often.

Best place to get your gun is the local paint factors. They would not stock them if the pro's were not buying them.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by lynnr on Thu 22 Sep 2011, 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added a bit)
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

What Spray Gun? Empty Good Advice - Thanks!

Post  Dan Thu 22 Sep 2011, 1:46 pm

That's great advice. I hadn't thought about the particle size being an issue for the high build primer.

Do the kits come with any painting advice in them?

I am presuming it's a case of etch -> high build -> base coat -> top coat(s) ?
Dan
Dan

Back to top Go down

What Spray Gun? Empty Re: What Spray Gun?

Post  lynnr Thu 22 Sep 2011, 1:58 pm

Dan wrote:That's great advice. I hadn't thought about the particle size being an issue for the high build primer.

Do the kits come with any painting advice in them?

Don't be silly.

I am presuming it's a case of etch -> high build -> base coat -> top coat(s) ?

Yes that's about it.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Thu 22 Sep 2011, 2:07 pm

lynnr wrote:
Don't be silly.

Haha! I really wasn't being silly! From the detail of the instructions that I have seen (what they do in A&E with hypodermic needles - kit 4 I think!) I really did think that they may have included painting tips!!!

Dan
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Thu 22 Sep 2011, 2:18 pm

He He..

What is at the front of your Avatar?
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Thu 22 Sep 2011, 2:23 pm

A herd of Peruvian Gerbils, all reigned up in gold leaf and velvet. Quite a sight....
Dan
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  hudmut Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:52 am

I can add some thing in here as iv had a few problems with paint. I have a deviliss Sri Pro and a GTI Pro both big money guns for automotive paint but my cheap £80 gun is the best for using with the craftmaster top cote but my SRi pro with a 1mm fluid tip is the tops for base coat and primer once more in the craftmaster paint range.

So what I wound say is decide what paint you are going to use first before you pick a gun because if you use a 1K synthetic paint like craftmaster you don't really want to use a high end gun that has been made to work with thin automotive water based paint for top coat you might be better of using a primer gun that is set up to use a thicker paint and give a better even coat. Just so you know all automotive paint is going over to water based paint so all high end automotive guns will be set up for this there is all so guns made just for base cote, primer, top cote the list goes on im not trying to scare you im just telling you what I have learnt with my engine after years of painting with automotive and then coming over on to craftmaster there is a lot of difference. I can help you with either just ask

Stu
hudmut
hudmut

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-07-05

https://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/hudmut/My%20little%20se

Back to top Go down

What Spray Gun? Empty Spray guns

Post  Steve Traill Fri 23 Sep 2011, 12:38 pm

I agree with Headmut in that I borrowed a Devilbis spray gun a couple of years back that cost the thick end off £300 and found it very difficult to like. At the time I had a cheap gun that came as a freeby with my compressor & thought it would be better to use a 'quality' gun. The Freeby was perfectly fine & gave a superb finish. Now I use a HVLP gravity fed gun that I bought from ebay for £50 from America, great piece of kit.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down