Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard'

+25
MrStationHouse
richspoo
mikero
Steam Traction World
ejparrott
the coleman
iain
IanL
Robfishman
northburrell
Flasback
craig@STW
Graeme81
highpressure
Tim Watson
Brian M
Rickster
LilyJack
Steve Traill
hughb
sonick45
Kevster
lynnr
Tony King
bjwlancashire
29 posters

Page 12 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 12 Empty Re: Road Loco - 'Blackbeard'

Post  bjwlancashire Tue 28 May 2013, 4:56 pm

Hi Kev

How insulting to Blackbeard, a poorly dog? - maybe a poorly sea dog! pirat

Seriously though I do have the valve springs in holding the valves onto the steam chest surface.

I have modified my regulator so that only the first of the three holes is uncovered before I move the main part of the valve which gives a bigger opening of the main valve. Not sure if I like it yet or would be happier with just a plain regulator, I will need to have more time with it. It will be interesting to compare engines at Banbury that's for sure.

The video was in the wrong account, just changed it so you will find it in the correct account now.

Cheers

Brian

Last edited by bjwlancashire on Tue 28 May 2013, 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Tue 28 May 2013, 6:01 pm

Brian:
I'm not sure your insurance would be valid immediately after getting the steam ticket. So take some care in going to public places in steam. i suspect you would need the RSA cover note from Walker Midgley which they would issue once they see a copy of the boiler ticket.

I may be completely wrong, of course, but we were discussing this with respect to our St albans Rally this weekend and that was the conclusion that was reached.

Great to see the engine working.
Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Tue 28 May 2013, 6:13 pm

Tim

Thanks for the concern, much appreciated. I am actually insured through Footman James and they told me that as soon as I have my boiler certificate the insurance is then valid. Because I had already insured my engine I have the certificate with the registration number on it. I did this so I was covered for fire and theft until I had my boiler certificate, as soon as I do the liability and road cover are then active from the date and time on the certificate.

Hope you have better weather this weekend - last year's event was cancelled if I remember correctly. I have had the offer of transport for my engine to go to Old Warden this year so I might have the chance to park Blackbeard next to Fredrick, are you going to Banbury?

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Tue 28 May 2013, 6:18 pm

Brian
Afraid I won't be able to get to Banbury, as I am committed to a school fete on the Saturday. The engine will be on the STW stand at GDSF, as lecturing commitments have seriously interfered with me running there this year. Will definitely be at Old Warden.
Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Wed 29 May 2013, 12:17 pm

bjwlancashire wrote:Tim

Thanks for the concern, much appreciated. I am actually insured through Footman James and they told me that as soon as I have my boiler certificate the insurance is then valid.
Brian

Just checked with Walker Midgely, as i was renewing the insurance for Frederick, and the same applies.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 29 May 2013, 1:18 pm

I am with Walker Midgely and asked my inspector when I could run in public.
He said "as soon as I sign this bit of paper"
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Thu 30 May 2013, 8:49 am

Had a second steam up with the new block on last nigh after a couple more things were done on Tuesday evening. Had the LP cover off to fine tune the HP valve timing and then checked LP timing once it was back together - I know have the valve set properly and it sounds sweet. More photos taken but not put the motion covers on yet, whistle or starting valve, this will be done after the hydraulic test on Saturday. Making the adaptor for the half size siren tonight!!

Oh yes, I got fed up with the unpainted flywheel as I am waiting for a replacement so decided to give it a coat of primer and one good coat of black for appearances sake - Blackbeard does look better now!! just the canopy to finish painting sometime.

Here is a video of me finally driving Blackbeard in the daylight with the roof on. Still not sure of the two stage regulator, I had reduced the travel to only allow the first small hole to be exposed so I could have more of the main valve if needed. However, the single small hole is not allowing enough steam through on its own to move the engine smoothly, it hunts. I think the volume of steam getting through is not quite enough so when I remove the regulator on Friday night while preparing for the hydraulic test I will open the hole out to allow a little more steam through.

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 12 Small_16

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 12 Small_17

Last edited by bjwlancashire on Thu 31 Oct 2013, 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Thu 30 May 2013, 11:22 am

Blackbeard sounds wonderful & looks it like your doing very well driving with the canopy on too!!
Great post!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Thu 30 May 2013, 1:02 pm

Clearly it helps having longer arms to reach the controls as in the middle I can't really get near them. Also interesting to note how easily it seems to pull away despite not having the start valve on, mine can be a real job to go from standing or forwards to reverse, especially if it seems the reg is opened in the wrong place causing what I think to be the HP valve to be crushed onto the valve face making it almost impossible to turn the flywheel by hand or move the reverser back and forth which is what leads me to think it might be the pressure on the valve body. Of course there might be something I have done wrong causing this symptom, when we get together to compare perhaps something will come to light.

Otherwise what an absolute thrill to finally be moving!!! cheers cheers Hopefully the upcoming test is just a formality. Good Luck.

Cheers Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Thu 30 May 2013, 7:17 pm

Brian, the video looks brilliant and you must be very pleased with the results of the build. Black beard is looking very good in black. I am still waiting for my cylinder Isabel has left me a message today saying it will be dispatched Monday next week yeh aa!

Hopefully will meet you somewhere this year,

Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Thu 30 May 2013, 10:46 pm

Wonderful to see thanks for sharing it looks great. It's going to be a great season on the field with all these engines running out there. The camera and I are looking forward to it.

I love to see engines in steam, it really brings them to life after all the hard work that goes into them.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 12 Empty blackbeard

Post  richspoo Fri 31 May 2013, 8:32 am

I have to agree even more so for you guys who have the ability to build your own. I so admire your ability.

One month until Simplicity comes home getting very excited hope to see some of you on the rally field during the season.

I shall be at both Weeting and GDSF just as a spectator, hopefully at Gt Haddenham Steam Fair as an exhibitor

Richard

richspoo

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2013-05-06

Back to top Go down

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 12 Empty Well?????

Post  highpressure Sat 01 Jun 2013, 9:51 pm

Well Question Question Question Did it pass Question Question All systems go Question Question
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:31 am

IT PASSED!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sun 02 Jun 2013, 7:18 am

Congratulations and celebrations. All steam a head now!
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 03 Jun 2013, 11:37 am

Been on the road yesterday as we had a 16th birthday BBQ and steam up for my Steam Apprentice nephew, Declan. We did a two and a three quarter mile circuit taking in two pubs (only one drink though) and a very steep hill - two thirds of a mile of probably between 1:5 and 1:8 with two people on the wagon behind. Initially tried in higher gear, stopped after 10 yards and changed to bottom gear then went all the way up, no problem. We had a half a mile down a different hill that was not quite so steep to go down to get to the main road and Blackbeard was very controllable on the reverser during the decent, the wheel brake did not do much and I was reluctant to use the flywheel brake due to the depression in the periphery which makes it knock. You should have seen the state of the engine we we got home. On the main road in top my wife was following in the car for protection and clocked us at 10mph. On the level in top Blackbeard was back in the third notch just rolling along effortlessly.

Steam siren is now fitted and what a great sound it makes, it is a half size one and really looks and sounds the part for Blackbeard.

A short video of Declan driving and sounding the siren.

A couple of pic taken after our boiler test was completed.

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 12 Small_20

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 12 Small_21

A couple of dirty pictures and of Blackbeard back in the garage after our little road run, I am going to have to make some big end oiler caps like Tim made for Frederic, I was also covered when we got home.

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 12 Small_22

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 12 Small_23

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 12 Small_24

Last edited by bjwlancashire on Mon 03 Jun 2013, 11:53 am; edited 2 times in total
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Mon 03 Jun 2013, 11:44 am

Looking excellent. Nice little video but no pictures?
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Mon 03 Jun 2013, 11:47 am

I need wagons! Missing out on these runs to the pubs!

I think I would need to reverse the engine down a 1:6 for about 3/4 mile as I think the crown will be exposed for too long otherwise. The climb back up should be interesting!
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 03 Jun 2013, 11:52 am

lynnr wrote:Looking excellent. Nice little video but no pictures?

Sorry I pressed send instead of preview initially, all corrected now.
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Mon 03 Jun 2013, 1:51 pm

Dirty pictures !! Are you going to clean or leave at least it should not rust !

Brian very impressed well done on an excellent build.
Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Mon 03 Jun 2013, 1:53 pm

Ah

Forgot to ask. What was your fuel and water usage?
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 03 Jun 2013, 2:02 pm

Blackbeard will be cleaned today now he has cooled down. I believe it is better for the paint etc. to wait while things cool.

Regarding water usage we used all the water in the tanks which were full before we left but imagine full forward gear up the big hill and a big fire, steam generation is not a problem on these engines.. Coal wise, the tender was probably three quarters full (front plate) when we set off but we used what was in there. It was quite a dramatic test and I will look at the fuel usage again with a more straight forward run.
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Mon 03 Jun 2013, 4:09 pm

lynnr wrote:I think I would need to reverse the engine down a 1:6 for about 3/4 mile as I think the crown will be exposed for too long otherwise. The climb back up should be interesting!

No, dont be soft!! Fill it up before you get to the start of the drop, make sure you can always see water in the bottom of the glass and you'll be fine, the water slops back and forth keeping the plug cool anyhow. Even if it went its only the plug to change, dramatic but no real drama, trying to reverse would be far more dangerous.

Brian, pictures with dirt, now thats more like it Very Happy , give it a few months and unless you have telescopic fingers or want to keep taking things apart there will be lots of areas like that!!! I thought it was better to clean it whilst still warm the steam oil is so viscous when cold its a real pain to shift, although I seem to have a vauge memory of an article in OG or somewhere where an owner said he had preserved his paint condition by cleaning when cold but I might have that the wrong way round. Certainly all the road crap and dust and shite from a rally field stick to the oil well which will eventually abraid the paint. That'll kill Andy Sad Sad
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 03 Jun 2013, 5:35 pm

Kev

Your right about the fact it came from an article, makes sense too. I will not wipe with a dry rag though - spray paraffin - oil mix on to wet and soften the mess. Alternatively, I had the chance to try Lococlean on a full size engine and it is superb to use and leaves the surface shiny too, I may invest if it is cheaper than paraffin - £6 per 5ltr container for the last lot I bought.

Regarding the hill I went down I was three quarters full at the top and had the pump on most of the way down as the engine will evaporate water even when holding back on the reverser - worked a treat. The problem that can happen is if you have too much in then the engine could pick up and prime or at least, when it blows off, it can draw the water up the safety valves and give you a shower. This happens on full size engines too, had it happen on an R3 showman's engine but at least there is a roof on them to keep you dry. This is why it is good practice to open the drain cocks in case of water carry over and also to prevent soot from being sucked back down the blast pipe into the cylinders if you are pulling the lever into the reverse part of the quadrant - some people have different opinions on this like everything else. If you open drain cocks you could loose some of the oil in the cylinder, this is one argument but your not running for long that way. The downhill I was on was half a mile with the last quarter of it steeper than the firs but we trundled down nicely watching the water level around the bottom nut on the steeper bit.
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Mon 03 Jun 2013, 6:59 pm

Once you use the flywheel brake it really is a god send, pulls the engine up totally, makes a hill descent far less scary!! What a Face pale Don't worry about showering crud everywhere, that's why you get a hat quite quickly. I still think we could do with drains on the HP side too.
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next