Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard'

+25
MrStationHouse
richspoo
mikero
Steam Traction World
ejparrott
the coleman
iain
IanL
Robfishman
northburrell
Flasback
craig@STW
Graeme81
highpressure
Tim Watson
Brian M
Rickster
LilyJack
Steve Traill
hughb
sonick45
Kevster
lynnr
Tony King
bjwlancashire
29 posters

Page 13 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 13 Empty Re: Road Loco - 'Blackbeard'

Post  Tim Watson Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:02 am

Brian:
I would definitely put the gauge glass protector on for running. Having seen a glass break, I can well appreciate their benefit! Looking excellent. You still get oil flying around even with closed off oilers!

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:40 am

Thanks for the comments Tim. Just to reassure you, I had only taken the gauge glass protector off after putting the engine in the garage but well spotted non the less, I would never run with it off.
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:05 pm

Well, Blackbeard and the wagons may not get finished as we are having too much fun in the sun at the moment. 8 hours in steam on Sunday with family visiting from other parts of the country and a little road run for them in a couple of wagons. Later on after they had gone we could not resist going out again so my wife, daughter, my friend Charlie and I set off up to out old local in the neighbouring village for a swift half. We went the other direction to the previous week regarding the climb but still had half a mile of constant uphill with two wagons on. A two and a half mile round trip and with full tanks and boiler before we left we returned had 10 minutes around the drive and avenue then put half a glass of water in before the injector stopped injecting as the water was low. We had been at the pub for 45 minutes too with the engine ticking over - great fun.

Family run in the afternoon just departing, video taken from a phone so not so good. Note the steam apprentice in the first wagon - she is so keen and she will be getting a little boiler suit before the Onslow Park Rally (near where they live) because we will be there with Blackbeard so she will too.

Evening run, second gear in second notch all the way up the hill - video taken by my daughter from the second wagon, ignore her funny face Laughing

Just departing for the evening run to Mellor

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 13 Small_25

Turning up into the long climb

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 13 Small_26

Worst is over now, nearly there

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 13 Small_27

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 13 Small_28
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Tue 11 Jun 2013, 6:59 am

Only one word.

BRILLIANT!
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:08 am

Really good to see Brian, a great encouragement for me to get mine finished. An evening run to the pub in the sunshine - it doesn't get much better!

With best wishes
Simon

MrStationHouse

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:36 am

I cant believe that I can finally do this myself, it will probably get used more on the road than the rally fields as it is more fun and it is not necessary to drag a trailer/caravan etc.. anywhere and as you can see there are no shortage of hills to climb around here too. Still lots to learn on the traits of the engine and exactly when is best to put the coal on as it will take a few minute to get going. The engine certainly produces steam very freely so no excuse for having none. Laughing

Just missing the replacement flywheel as the on I have has a sink in the periphery so I am not keen on using the flywheel brake as it knocks slightly over the sink area when you put the block on the rim as it is in the centre and the periphery is slightly crowned - not good for the crank bearings.

We are at a rally this weekend though, Scorton in Lancashire so our first official engagement in steam. We will be wearing our Blackbeard t-shirts with pride Wink My dad had them made for when we eventually steamed the engine.

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 13 Small_29

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 13 Vlcsna10

Cheers

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Tue 11 Jun 2013, 5:36 pm

See now the fun really begins cheers cheers All that nonsense with the cylinder is soon forgotten. Certainly looks like a lovely setting for getting steam up at weekends and evenings, cant really do it here that often as we are in a "normal" residential area with semis either side, no one has ever said anything but I know how people feel about bonfires and windows open etc. Having said that I have more than made up for it with bookings aver the summer and am quite looking forward to a weekend off this week before the madness starts again!!! Shocked Less than three weeks to the BIG DO, now that is something I am certainly looking forward to.

Once you have run it in and the bearing have bedded in and loosened up they really are a joy to drive.

Well done.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Tue 11 Jun 2013, 6:20 pm

Well Brian, that's a lovely set of posts on the forum, particularly like the picture with you guys relaxing with a beer & a "hot engine" cheers
Between you, Kev & Lynn, you're all setting a wonderful future for us lot following on behind............ I'm totally impressed Very Happy
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Tue 11 Jun 2013, 8:04 pm

Brian very well done great pictures and video. These engines will turn a lot of heads.

Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  the coleman Tue 11 Jun 2013, 10:35 pm

Congratulation brain another superb engine. Looking forward to seeing engines all together .
the coleman
the coleman

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Wed 12 Jun 2013, 4:40 pm

Brilliant Job Brian...well done and really pleased for you. It was all worth the hard word and determination in the end. For all those looking on in envy a new batch is starting in September or October this year and by the summer of 2016 this could be you.......we're only here once so live your dream and go for it.

Particularly like the nice relaxing beer photo, however, a Showman's always looks better than a Road Loco in a photo when you've got a pint in your hand!! lol Very Happy:D:D:D

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Wed 12 Jun 2013, 5:43 pm

Steam Traction World wrote:
Particularly like the nice relaxing beer photo, however, a Showman's always looks better than a Road Loco in a photo when you've got a pint in your hand!! lol Very Happy:D:D:D

Dean

Dean

You know very well you would not even see a showman's engine because of all the glasses on its roof and everyone using it as a leaning post Wink

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments this week, especially now I can show you my engine working up the Lancashire hills!!

Some little jobs to do tonight including taking a look at the regulator to see why it jammed closed just before we put it away on Sunday - soon sort that out hopefully. Also got my NTET disk today too so I have the tax disc holders to fit so I am legal.

Here's to those not far behind us, c'mon Tony, you know you want to light the fire. Also, Brian M who hopefully now has his cylinder on and tested along with Kevin(?) with the other faulty block - I have definitely put it behind me now as you can see by the posts this week.

Cheers

Brian

PS: See you all at Banbury, hope there is a pub along a nice road there too.
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 12 Jun 2013, 6:03 pm

Hi Brian.

I opened up the front hole in the block by a fraction and repacked the gland and mine does not jam anymore.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Wed 12 Jun 2013, 7:45 pm

You're in good company; I had the same problem. Will find out this weekend whether it worked. Also took the opportunity to oval out the rear hole on the pilot valve as the engine was hunting a bit (almost like a spit bang!)

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian M Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:32 pm

Hi Brian,

I am progressing well with the engine rebuild. Spent a lot of time modifying the engine, such as putting groves in the canopy, adding inline check values, moving the position of the blast pipe globe valve, opening up the hole for the regulator port, adding star lock washers to the pistons just to name a few Smile

Engine past it's hydraulic test earlier this week. She was out today at a fate (see below).

All the best,

Brian

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 13 IMG_0013_zps6c92d9a1
Brian M
Brian M

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:43 pm

Hey Brian, Thats a smart looking engine there, good to see its almost back to a running engine. The canopy looks good, is that vinyl for the lettering? I used a gold subsitute for lettering and it looks good. Are you coming to Banbury?

BJW.. and Lynn I have also had an issue with the regulator being "tight", I assumed it was as I was nearing top pressure and it was "crushing" the valve and causing ot to be tight that way. What did you do to the block/reg gland? and was it both sides?

Two weeks and counting.......

Last edited by highpressure on Sat 15 Jun 2013, 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Sat 15 Jun 2013, 8:14 pm

WRT tight regulators, I thought the problem was with the gland at the chimney end: I eased this off last week and tried it today.  OK to start with and then the regulator became stiff, when the engine got really hot.  I therefore took out the glands both ends, removed the packings and opened the valve rod holes in the block up to 6.2mm, both ends. Opening up to 6.1mm still left the regulator rod pitching a little.  Will probably try it out tomorrow and keep you posted.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sun 16 Jun 2013, 9:12 am

Brian

Looks stunning, like the canopy signwriting well done.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Sun 16 Jun 2013, 9:27 am

Brian M, your engine is looking spectacular, you should put more pictures of it up on the forum!!
Any hints & details of how you did your lettering on the canopy would be nice. Excellent job "grooving" the canopy!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sun 16 Jun 2013, 10:13 am

Hi Tony

I'm sure Brian will have lots of tips, but following the course I did have now done a few letters to practice and the number plates and  this may help -

1 - Draw (or print) the design you want on a piece of paper.

2 - Rub a chalk stick all over the back of the paper.

3 - Place the paper in the correct position on the work (its worth drawing datum lines to make sure everything is lined and leveled.

4 - Draw round the design (this will obviously leave a chalk outline on the work being sign written), blow off any surplus dust.

5 - Paint accordingly.

Some images of the process is half way down this page.  These were taken on the afternoon of a one day course and like the lining it takes a bit of practice.

https://traction.forumotion.com/t877p60-rob-tash-showmans
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:55 am

Just a quick update on the regulator situation and I did put this on Tim's thread too (sory Tim).

On my regulator I did not remove the chimney so could not open up the front hole but did polish the front end of the regulator rod down by 0.05mm by spinning it and using emery cloth. I also opened up the rear gland clamp slightly as seemed to have some resistance once on the studs. When I put the reamer in the regulator rod hole with the gland packing still in I did get out what looked like some flakes of burnt folia from either side and there was some staining on the rod too. No problems at Scorton this weekend and we did the pub run Saturday night and spent 12 hours in steam on Sunday too by the time we loaded up on the trailer. We were having some time for Danielle, Declan and my dad to have a play on the engine as exhibitors were leaving or had already left and we so much space to use - the sun was finally out too. The regulator is very smooth to operate now.

Pictures and videos to come later.

Brian M, what a sight for sore eyes, your engine is looking superb. I tried to reply yesterday on my phone but something happened as it was sending so I gave up. Canopy scroll work looks wonderful, when the picture was loading on the phone I thought it was a full size engine until I saw the footrest sticking out. Who was pulling you round, Dwaine or Clive? When are you having your steam test too.
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 17 Jun 2013, 12:10 pm

Here is a video with the Lunkenheimer 3 chime finally fitted and I think it is going to give SONIC45 some competition, anyone who is going to Banbury better take some ear plugs.

bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 17 Jun 2013, 3:39 pm

Another video from Scorton Steam, heading to the Arena for our first ever parade.

bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 24 Jun 2013, 11:59 pm

Well we did have fun between downpours on Saturday, summer has obviously been and gone.

First I took the engine up to our old village  for the school fete. Up the long climb again with one wagon, one full bowser (10 gallon) and Declan on board. Plus a bag of coal, tools, oils etc and all the other stuff you need. We went all the way up in top gear for the first time using either second notch or full forward a couple of times with a more or less full open regulator. Engine was making steam all the time and I had to put the pump on a couple of times to maintain pressure and water plus the odd lump of coal - superb sound effects again. A 2.7 mile round trip plus laps around the hard playground for some children who wanted to ride.

At 4pm after a couple of heavy showers we set off from home again later in the afternoon to drive into Blackburn some 4 miles away. This involves a climb of nearly a mile up before you drop down for another mile or so into Blackburn town centre. It is a town in a bowl within the Lancashire hills so no level running here either. Again, top gear was used to ascend this hill with no problems. The number of people that slowed alongside to take mobile phone pictures was unbelievable, I am surprised there were no accidents. I stopped in the centre of town to show a friend Blackbeard was running and was there for half an hour as people came up to take a look.

The next stage of the journey was up to my parents house to surprise them and a further long stiff climb to where they live on the edge of the town 2 miles away uphill, this included going over the Wainwright Bridge (named after A Wainwright of walking guides fame, not me). We neared the end of this part of the journey we were on a level section before the final half a mile climb and I stopped to get pressure up as we had lost some but it was not coming so easily now. We looked in the ashpan and found that the ash was close to the bars all over so blocking the draught a little. We got the pressure up after flattening the ash as much as possible and engaged second gear to make it a little easier on the final stage of this part of the journey. As we arrived the rain started and we spent the next 15 minutes raking out the ashpan and filling up the tanks and water bowser. for the 6 miles we had used the engines water supply plus a third of the 10 gallon bowser.

At 7:15pm after a brew and a chat (plus a ride for a neighbours son) we set off home on the final leg of the journey which starts with a lot of decending to get us to the lowest part of the journey before the 0.8mile climb up Buncer Lane. After having a relatively full boiler for the decent I let the engine use this up on the next mile or so of relatively level roads to lower the level to around half full. Another top gear climb and as the fire was now able to breath again it was full or second notch with regulator open and the odd lump of coal on plus the pump on to hold back from blowing off. I stopped on the short level section to fill up the boiler again ready for the mile downhill run and carried on. As we got a few hundred yards from home I stopped at the side of the road and as we did the heavens opened for a real downpour. We got soaked in the last 5 minutes of the journey. At least it washed some of the crap off Blackbeard who was covered in mud and grime from the side of the road left them from the previous showers earlier in the day. This had been a round trip of 11.2 miles with some good climbs involved. We quickly put the engine away with not much fire left to rake forward and topped up the boiler with the last of the pressure and then the trailers and changed into dry clothing, we were ready for food at 9:30pm. We had planned to go via the KFC drive through near were we live but the rain stopped that - we will do it though and get a picture for the forum.

As there was only me and Declan out for the day we have no pictures of this incredible journey for us, the longest I have driven a miniature so far but not for long. He did record two hill climbing videos on his phone though so he will get them onto a memory stick for me so I can post them on here. We covered nearly 14 miles during the day, climbed a lot of hills and used around one bag of coal plus what was already in the bunker which I thought was reasonable. Going out on the road is more satisfying than wandering the rally site so far even though we got wet.

Our next outing is the Banbury event and I am putting Blackbeard's RH motion cover on now and will repack the regulator gland which is blowing a little and the clamp is already a long way in. Also slight adjustment of the water pump gland needed to as there is a small drip from the ram when it is pumping into the boiler. Additionally the Chimney base has become very slightly loose, a result of our crap roads shaking the engine to bits. I will need to retighten the nuts on the riven bolts.

After Banbury my next road challenge is a bigger one than this one and more scenic. We are taking the engine to Longridge agricultural show for the day and rather than hire a trailer to take Blackbeard we will take him on the road. Anyone who knows the area will know the route from Mellor Brook along the A59 then the turn left for a long run down to Ribchester crossing the River Ribble on the way and the long climb to Longridge will appreciate this one, a 9 mile Journey with some long climbs and descents. I should have a support vehicle on that one to at least go ahead and film us passing and climbing too. Something hopefully to post on here from our adventures.

See you at Banbury.

Brian

Last edited by bjwlancashire on Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Tue 25 Jun 2013, 1:07 pm

Great write up sounds really good fun and great country side to do it in. I have to agree with you that a road run is great fun, but PLEASE make sure you are not the next headline news, people drive like total arseholes these days as witnessed by the Lika accident report and the roller that crashed at Corfe Castle a few weeks ago when someone cut in front of him. I am so aware of how small and vulnerable we are on the road on these things and people simply dont look or dont care!!!I enjoy road running but feel so nervous. Even a motorway maintainace crew were hit on the hard shoulder of the M3 last week despite having luminous gear all over and bloody big lorry with flashing stuff on it!!! How do you drive onto the hard shoulder in broad daylight and hit someone??????Evil or Very Mad

Looking forward to Banbury only 3 more days to go.....
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next