Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DCC road loco

5 posters

Go down

DCC road loco Empty DCC road loco

Post  Watts&Son Sat 20 Mar 2010, 6:16 pm

We are just finishing painting and lining front wheels and perch bracket etc. We are using Craftmaster paints. I think I would have thought twice about basing it on President, if I had known how involved the lining is! it is like painting a showmans engine. Hopefully the end result will do justice to the excellent kits. We have not decided which yellow to use for the yellow line but I dont think would make too much difference. thanks to all at Steam Traction World

Watts&Son

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

DCC road loco Empty Re: DCC road loco

Post  highpressure Sat 20 Mar 2010, 8:42 pm

Depending on what you are using to produce the lines it can be quite straightforward. If you use the finesse linig tape to apply the very thin outer line you can also paint the line next to this using the tape to give you a very consistent space thus resulting in two colours going on with one application of tape. When the colours have been left to dry for a couple of weeks the final inner colour can be applied using the 3M 1/4" blue fine line tape to mask the first two off.
I have used this on my agricultural having just relined the boiler and it took me about two afternoons of approx two hours to do 5 bands on the boiler in three colours. The lining on the agricultural is just as complex when using black red and then yellow.

Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Sat 20 Mar 2010, 8:58 pm

Just to give you and idea here is my tender and hornplates lined with the tape method using three colours.
DCC road loco 100_4111
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Sun 21 Mar 2010, 9:23 am

I too have chosen to use Finnese lining tape and the stuff is very easy to use and has low tack so it won't damage the paint.
You can see in the close up the thin strips of tape that when you peel away leaves you with the desired width.

DCC road loco Cimg1310

Like Kev said you can also lay down two lines at once which i have done for the thin red lines either side on the wheels. It's a real time saver and the lines are really crisp.

I have worked out a system to paint the curved lines using masking film.
It incorporates the use of a compass cutter that i have modified to hold to blades at a set distance apart.
I then cut the curve out of the film applying the whole section and then removing the cut out strip once applied to the engine.
it is very much like using the Finnese tape only on a curve.
I will cover more about this on my website but experiments so far have proved to be successful.

The white triangle on the tyre is a template for the compass to keep the curve consistent.

DCC road loco Cimg1311
DCC road loco Cimg1312
DCC road loco Cimg1313

Nick

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

DCC road loco Empty burrell dcc

Post  Watts&Son Sun 21 Mar 2010, 6:46 pm

I have not seen the lining tape before, it looks a good result, where can you buy it? I think we will struggle with the thicker lines using the lining pen, so maybe the tape would be the answer. We have used a beugler lining pen, but it takes a bit of practice to get it right, but I am pleased with the result. I will post some pictures of the wheels if anyone is intrested, many thanks.
David Watts.

Watts&Son

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Sun 21 Mar 2010, 7:15 pm

you can buy finnese tape here

click here

sonick45

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Sun 21 Mar 2010, 7:29 pm

Doesnt seem to list any lining tapes in the search, Do you have a specific product name?

Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Sun 21 Mar 2010, 7:47 pm

Kev,

type in "masking tape" in the search box.

tried to link straight to it but the link failed...

Nick

sonick45

Back to top Go down

DCC road loco Empty Pin-striping tape

Post  greystones Sun 21 Mar 2010, 8:51 pm

Hi Guys,

Frost sell pin-striping tape. Just type this in and it will come up at the bottom of the page its £ 12.50 a roll.

If you are tight like me, I believe you will need some tank sealant (POR 15), for the tender which is comming next.

They also sell this and I will be getting the 8 ounce tin as I believe this will be enough. Not the big tin at £20 plus !!!! I still have some from building the Foden and 4 inch Burrell . Problem is it wont keep, well not 4 years. This way you will save on pastage.

Hope this helps Mike

Last edited by greystones on Sun 21 Mar 2010, 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
greystones
greystones

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-06-16

http://greystonesholidays.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Mon 22 Mar 2010, 11:00 am

quick question regarding tank sealant...

Can you use iSOFLEX to seal the tank?
I have loads left over...

Nick

sonick45

Back to top Go down

DCC road loco Empty Tank sealant

Post  Steve Traill Mon 22 Mar 2010, 11:20 am

Isoflex is a good tank sealant, my tender was done with it in 06 and still is as good as new. I dry it out at the end of the season and leave it dry over the winter. One tip, put plenty on around any bolts or sharp edges, I gave the tender two good coats and an extra couple over any sharp bits as it tends to go thin in these areas.
Regards
Steve
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down