Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Second steaming.First real report.

+3
BUNGLE
hughb
TonyT
7 posters

Go down

Second steaming.First real report. Empty Second steaming.First real report.

Post  TonyT Sun 25 Oct 2009, 11:29 pm

Hi everyone,

As some of you may know,I had a little warm up session last weekend.Today I had another go and decided to go further than just a warm up.This is what happened but please don't think this is the way foward.I am a first time builder who probably too keen after 3 years to get things going.Anyhow here we go!

Valuable lesson No.1
I found that when lighting the fire,think big when it comes to fire lighters and bits of coal.I saved lots of little bits of coal over the last couple of years,look great in the bunker but don't help to get a good fire going.I've found a few bits of coal as big as the fire box hole burn better than lots of little bits as these tend to smother the fire lighters thus starving them of oxygen.Also,find somewhere sheltered from the wind,too much wind might blow the lighters out,it did for me.One thing I did find that really helped was a chimney extension,I went down to a local ATS and scrounged a length of old exhaust pipe.

Valuable lesson No.2
Inexperience and sloppiness.This is in no way directed at anyone at STW,this is down to me! Once I had a good fire going,I opened the blower to help draw the fire.Works perfectly and quickly brought the pressure up to 50 psi.This is where things started to get interesting.My steamhead leaks like a sieve,well at least on the the threads of the globe valves,and also my bottom water gauge do-da where it threads into the extension like to drip under pressure.Not good,so a major strip down is ahead of me to sort these problems out.But on a lighter note,I was going to pull my water gauge apart so I can paint half of the glass white to help with seeing the water level,my fire box doors let a lot of smoke out when the boiler is cold and this leaves smoke shit all over the place,especially on the water gauge.

Anyway,besides the leaks,now I had pressure it was time to give things a go.Slipped the reversing lever into full foward,open the regulator half way,and a light push on the flywheel.Ohhh its was poetry in motion,pulled back the regulator so she ran on a fast tickover.It was wonderful to watch after all this time,and after all the problems we've had with the collapse of MW,and also a tribute to Dean,Steve,and everyone else at STW for doing such a great job in helping us to fulfil our dreams.

Then it was time to test the gears,so I pulled the drive pins out,popped her into 1st gear,and way-hay no probs.Exactly the same with 2nd gear so it was time for a road test.What a result..!!! For such a small engine,WOW,she has a lot of grunt,kept me going at a light jog in second gear.Great success,and got a few of the nieghbours out wondering what all the cheering was all about.It was time to park her up and let things cool down.

The Aftermath
Once cool it was time to take the valve chest cover off,and to my horror I found a small slither of metal in the bottom.The valve face looks good but I haven't taken it all apart.Took the front cylinder cover off,and no horrible scratches on the cylider bore.I've disconnected the con rod from the crosshead and removed the crosshead slides.The rear cylinder cover comes off tomorrow night.!!!

To Be Continued.....

Tony Rolling Eyes
TonyT
TonyT

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Second steaming.First real report. Empty Re: Second steaming.First real report.

Post  hughb Mon 26 Oct 2009, 7:24 pm

Hi Tony
Well I do have a lot to do .Before I get to were you are so.Thanks for the heads up and your time to do all this .
Good luck with the next bit .
Hugh
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Tue 27 Oct 2009, 12:19 am

WELL DONE TONY. KEEP US INFORMED AS TO WHERE THAT METAL CAME FROM PLEASE.

WE HAVEN'T TOUCH OUR ENGINE SINCE BEFORE DORSET, LIFE KEEPS GETTING IN THE WAY !!

BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Number of posts : 232

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Tue 27 Oct 2009, 8:14 am

Hi Tony,

Did you use "Lock & Seal" on all the leaking bits or some other product??

Regards
Ian
Vapor
Vapor

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyT Tue 27 Oct 2009, 5:57 pm

Hi All

I had a chat with Steve,and we both agreed that the slither of metal was probably a bit of swarth left over from the machining of the cylinder block.So I'm not too bothered by it.
All my joints have been sealed with PTFE tape,but I did have a few problems getting the globe valve to line up on the steamhead (got carried away with filing!!)so things haven't sealed as they should so I will take it all apart and introduce copper washers to try to line things up and hopefully seal things tight.I wont know until I steam again but that won't be until the last bits have arrived.

One thing I didn't mention was the waterpump.What a great little pump,I ran the boiler down to half way on the water gauge,turned the bypass valve through 90 degrees and filled the boiler back up with no problems.

All in all,happy days,time to paint the govenor and safetys,plus a few other bits and wait patiently for the last bits.

cheer's Tony Cool
TonyT
TonyT

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Tue 27 Oct 2009, 8:44 pm

Yohhhhhhhhhhhh TONY!!!!!!!!!!

Well sir, aside from a few "minor" teething problems you've encountered, that was a pleasure to read and the pic looks good too with the ole fire goin on inside. For us "First-Time" builders, it's gonna be a "suck it and see" trial I don't doubt that for a second, long as no fingers were burned/scolded or chewed up in flywheels, it's all good in my eyes. Well done son, keep up the good stuff n absolutely let us know how it progresses.

Best Regards

LilyJack Cool

Ps: Note to Bungle whilst I'm doin a note. The force is strong in this one Wink got me block n bits yesterday, I have to say, the instructions seem a little clear as mud so a good deal of reading over and over again is gonna be required me thinks BEFORE I start assembling. Any tips would be helpful from anyone on this one. Also, I've been considering high temp steam resistant gasket gunk and thread lock on EVERYTHING around this area, anyones thoughts on this??

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Tue 27 Oct 2009, 10:43 pm

LILYJACK, THIS WILL COME HARD, BUT YOU MAY HAVE TO LEAVE THE BEER ALONE FOR A FEW HOURS WHILST DOING THE BLOCK, ETC. IT MAY MAKE THINGS CLEARER, DON'T WORRY YOU CAN GO STRAIGHT BACK TO IT AFTERWARDS !

BY THE WAY MATE, I'M JUST GETTING OVER PROPER SWINE FLU, NOT THAT PRETEND MAN FLU YOU HAD AT OLD WARDEN lol! SEE REAL MAN KISS PIGS !!!

BUILD WELL.

BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Number of posts : 232

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Wed 28 Oct 2009, 9:41 pm

BUNGLE wrote:LILYJACK, THIS WILL COME HARD, BUT YOU MAY HAVE TO LEAVE THE BEER ALONE FOR A FEW HOURS WHILST DOING THE BLOCK, ETC. IT MAY MAKE THINGS CLEARER, DON'T WORRY YOU CAN GO STRAIGHT BACK TO IT AFTERWARDS !

BY THE WAY MATE, I'M JUST GETTING OVER PROPER SWINE FLU, NOT THAT PRETEND MAN FLU YOU HAD AT OLD WARDEN lol! SEE REAL MAN KISS PIGS !!!

BUILD WELL.

BUNGLE

Hi guys
Yes good advice onthe beer . I did have a few when I did my one and drop it .But all ok it hit my foot .Broused but not bust....Good luck with the bulid...

Ho yes Get well soon BUNGLE
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Thu 29 Oct 2009, 7:31 am

Lilyjack

Just having breakfast and reading the posts so this comment may be out of date but, I seem to remember somewhere that if you file a nick in the central hole on the top of the block (which is where the steam under pressure comes via) it will assist with tickover. It may have been on Julie OLDs 4" site. Wherever it was it stated that the nick should be on the side of the hole facing the front of the engine. I did this without knowing at the time how it all worked and realise now that the nick should be at the side of the central hole facing the rear. The reason being the throttle opens pushing the lever forwards thus exposing the central steam port from the rear first, it makes sense now that the centre hole by which the steam pressure comes through, should open gradually to have finer control over the steam flow, the nick which should be V shaped will allow greater control as more of the V is exposed as the throttle is increased before exposing the circular part of the hole.

\I know what I mean anyway Smile

Med Al

Big Al

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Thu 29 Oct 2009, 7:25 pm

Real Men Kiss Real Pigs Shocked
Now I know why I don't do nightclubs no more then Shocked

I've had a right good butchers at all the block n bits as I've been de-burring and preparing and getting a picture in me nugget on whats what and where steam passages are and how they are diverted via ports etc, s'quite simple once you get ya head round it all innit Very Happy FAMOUS LAST WORDS. Thus, Medium Al, Your comment on the V being filed in makes absolute perfect sense, I wonder if the drawings have been updated since a few of you have built your blocks as it does state about filing a wee V in there during assembly but THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HEADS UP AND ADVICE. ANY GOOD ADVICE IS MORE THAN WELCOME AND I GENUINELY THANK YOU ALL FOR THAT!

Right, Bungle, so, you DARE mock my Man-Flu, for this you will pay (said in a Japanese Film fight with mouth moving without words sorta way). You wait, when my engines built, I'm gonna pit it against yours in a 10 yard drag race. See who laughs then Razz .
Serious note now, Hope ya getting better chap, proper flu knocks the nuts out of ya dunnit, takes a wee while to get back to normal again afterwards. I recommend Coffee or Tea with Whiskey. A gross one is oxo,1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper and garlic granules in a mug. Tastes like shit but dun'alf clear ya head. Anyhow, I've been busting me balls all day for her indoors, poxy fence and canopy over the back door n shit, aching and sober now so time to get drunk a little.

Take it easy you lot, Thanks for the heads up Medium Al, Take it easy Bungle and catch ya all later..

Best Sober Regards

LilyJack Cool

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyT Thu 29 Oct 2009, 11:12 pm

Hi Lilyjack

know what you mean about nightclubs.!! Jeremy Kyle candidates.!! lol!

On a serious note though,once youv'e completed your block,make sure to give it a good blast of air though every hole or you might find some swarth like I did

As for the 'V' you have file in the top of the block,I couldn't agree more than with Med Al,put the 'V' at the back and don't be afraid to make it as big as you like.Having run our engine on steam I think our 'V' should be a little larger to help with a slow tickover.

Good times Lilyjack,you're getting there,but take you're time as you wouldn't cock things up by rushing and getting pissed whilst building (as I did on many occasions) Embarassed

cheer's Tony Cool
TonyT
TonyT

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Fri 30 Oct 2009, 10:18 pm

TonyT wrote:Good times Lilyjack,you're getting there,but take you're time as you wouldn't cock things up by rushing and getting pissed whilst building (as I did on many occasions) Embarassed

Cool
Hi guys
I do find some times that beer will help the plan drunken
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 18 Nov 2009, 12:22 pm

Hi Guys,

Although i do believe in freedom of speech, i have decided to delete the last 24 hours posts so this thread can get back on the original topic.

Lots of the original comments have since been edited or deleted meaning a true reflection to any of the posts would be impossible for some one to understand any reactions that have followed.

Lets all try to help each other by keeping the forum pro-active.

All the best

Dean

Tony, Looking forward to the next steam report.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2008-06-13

http://www.nickpricecreatives.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down