Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just starting out

+5
IanR
Richard
sherwood-ranger
HStannard
Steve H
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Just starting out Empty Just starting out

Post  Steve H Sat 22 Mar 2014, 6:26 pm

Popped over a couple of weeks ago to meet up with Dean at the factory, and was so impressed decided to go ahead.
So signed up this week and picked up kits 1&2.
Looking forward to the build.
Anybody local to me in Wellingborough, would be great to meet up for advice
Cheers
Steve Very Happy 
Steve H
Steve H

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2014-03-07

Back to top Go down

Just starting out Empty Re: Just starting out

Post  HStannard Sat 22 Mar 2014, 6:40 pm

Hi Steve, I am not far away from you in Rushden. I am building the 6" Foden though.  Smile
HStannard
HStannard

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2011-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  sherwood-ranger Sat 22 Mar 2014, 7:12 pm

Hi, I am down in Witney which is not to far. I am building one of the last batch of 2" so If you would like to see how anything goes together feel free to give me a shout. Have fun with the build.
sherwood-ranger
sherwood-ranger

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2012-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Sat 22 Mar 2014, 8:50 pm

Cheers to both of you, for the swift reply
Steve H
Steve H

Back to top Go down

Just starting out Empty hi

Post  Richard Sun 23 Mar 2014, 7:19 am

hi what are you making and wellcome aboad
yours
richard
Richard
Richard

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2011-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Sun 23 Mar 2014, 8:19 am

Richard wrote:hi what are you making and wellcome aboad
yours
richard

Thanks for the message Richard.
I have gone for the 2" Burrell  Agricultural, think I might have already decided on name and colours, but that may change.
What have you got?
Steve  Smile
Steve H
Steve H

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sun 23 Mar 2014, 9:34 pm

hi im coming to the end of a 4" agr but we seem to be wating for kits Sad  I was going to buy a 2" but went for the 4" they are all well made kits  Very Happy hope you enjoy the build i started in small shed not big enough so built new shed so put me behined a bit now out there all the time as nw got wood burnner thanks richard
Richard
Richard

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2011-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  IanR Mon 24 Mar 2014, 4:18 pm

Hi Steve, Welcome aboard!

I live in Kent so unfortunately not local to you. But I too have Kits 1 & 2 of the 2in. So it would be good to share our build experiences as we should be roughly in sync.

While I was waiting for the new batch to start I built the driving wagon. Therefor I've had plenty of experience of bolting spokes on, so that bit went quite easily. After my experience of doing the wagon tyres with isoflex I decided to go for vulcanised tyres all round. An expensive luxury but I just couldn't face all that mess and struggle again. There doesn't seem to be me much involved with the axle assembly with kit 2 (axle) so it's more about cleaning up and painting. I've got as far a coat of primer. I really want to get it painted and assembled as soon as possible so I don't loose any of the bits!

I haven't taken any picture yet as that not really much to show at this stage. Once of got the axle and wheels painted and put together I'll try to put some photo's up here.

IanR

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2012-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Mon 24 Mar 2014, 6:56 pm

Would be great Ian to keep in touch as we are both at the same stage.drop me a PM with contact details and I will give you a bell.
I am away from home till next Saturday
Best wishes
Steve
Steve H
Steve H

Back to top Go down

Just starting out Empty welcome

Post  tabbycat1957 Sat 29 Mar 2014, 12:08 am

Hi Steve,
Welcome to the honourable company of 2" Burrell builders. I am sure you will enjoy the build and like all the other forum members, only too happy to share any experience and knowledge we might have. Don't be afraid to ask. Not exactly local to you though, living in the 'colonies' down under - Australia. There are at least two other aussie 2" builders on the forum that I know of. Keep us posted on progress and post pics. Cheers  Very Happy 
tabbycat1957
tabbycat1957

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Sat 29 Mar 2014, 7:58 am

tabbycat1957 wrote:Hi Steve,
Welcome to the honourable company of 2" Burrell builders. I am sure you will enjoy the build and like all the other  forum members, only too happy to share any experience and knowledge we might have. Don't be afraid to ask. Not exactly local to you though, living in the 'colonies' down under - Australia. There are at least two other aussie 2"  builders on the forum that I know of. Keep us posted on progress and post pics. Cheers  Very Happy 

Thanks for the message, just got back from a short break and hope to make a start this weekend.
Will try and post pics when up and running
best wishes
Steve Very Happy 
Steve H
Steve H

Back to top Go down

Post  IanR Mon 31 Mar 2014, 8:43 pm

A few minor issues I've had assembling wheels / front axle that it might be worth being aware of:

When you assemble the hubs with epoxy resin the instructions say to put 8ba screws in the holes for fixing the hub caps to stop resin oozing through. I did this but didn't leave them in long enough and resin kept oozing after I removed the screws. Should have waited until it was nearly set. So I've had to drill and re-tap most of the holes. Managed to break a drill in one of them so I'm going to have to turn the hub cap and drill/tap 3 new holes.

One of the hub caps was too tight on the wheel retaining ring which made the wheel too stiff to turn. So I had to open out the inside of the cap a bit with the lathe.

The axle pivot pin was about 0.5 mm too short so the split pin wouldn't go in. Don't know if this was just the thickness of the paint. I did't try to put the split pin through before a painted it. (perhaps I should have!). I put the thin end of the pivot pin in the lathe and used a file on the 'underside' of the head to effectively make the pin longer. Just kept taking a tiny bit off and re-trying it until the split pin would go through.
(I'm no engineer. the above is about the limit of my machining abilities)

IanR

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Mon 31 Mar 2014, 8:59 pm

[quote="IanR"]A few minor issues I've had assembling wheels / front axle that it might be worth being aware of:

Thanks for the heads up Ian,I started the Front wheels today,but have only got as far as a dry run fit of the spokes.
Will hopefully start the epoxy stage tomorrow morning before i start work at 14:00.
Couple of questions you may be able to help with:
The 2 bottles of supplied Loctite ,what is the bearing grade one for? and should I loctite the Oiler tube to the hub?
Another Question,I hope to hand paint all of the parts,I have not got any paint yet but was going to use Craftmaster,What are you using i.e primer,undercoat & Top Coat.
Once again thanks for the heads up.
I will PM you my Mobile number,as I think more questions will be on ther way.
Cheers
Steve Very Happy 
Steve H
Steve H

Back to top Go down

Post  IanR Mon 31 Mar 2014, 9:11 pm

I have no idea what the 'Bearing Grade' is for either. I didn't Loctite the oiler tube. It seems quite tight enough. I've just been using Carplan primer. I've chosen to use Tractol enamel paint (aerosol on the wheels) simply because they did the colour I wanted.

IanR

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Mon 31 Mar 2014, 9:47 pm

IanR wrote:I have no idea what the 'Bearing Grade' is for either. I didn't Loctite the oiler tube. It seems quite tight enough. I've just been using Carplan primer. I've chosen to use Tractol enamel paint (aerosol on the wheels) simply because they did the colour I wanted.

I like the pictures you have posted, I intend to start a Gallery once I have something going on.
I was toying with going green for my build, probably a bit lighter than yours, and possibly brown on wheels.
Have just recieved the paint chart from Craftmaster,so will try and have a look in the morning.
Steve Very Happy 
Steve H
Steve H

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Mon 31 Mar 2014, 9:57 pm

I would suggest using locking compound on the oil tubes to stop oil seepage round the treads.

The two bottles of loctite are different strengths of hold. I think supplied when you got bronze bushes in the hubs.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Tue 01 Apr 2014, 12:27 am

lynnr wrote:I would suggest using locking compound on the oil tubes to stop oil seepage round the treads.

The two bottles of loctite are different strengths of hold. I think supplied when you got bronze bushes in the hubs.

Tanks Lynn, that would explain the mysterious bottle.I need to speak to Dean later so I will confirm and drop a post on here for the benifit of others
Cheers
Steve Very Happy 
Steve H
Steve H

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Tue 01 Apr 2014, 10:19 am

I used Craftmaster primer, undercoat then enamel. Two coats of the primer and undercoat and several enamel coats until I got a good finish. I flated each coat down before the next.

Best wishes

Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Mon 28 Apr 2014, 6:57 pm

Bit of advice, please , ready to prime and under coat my front wheels and axle assembly using Craftmaster Model Primer and Undercoat , does the steeel need degreasing first.
If so what's best to use
Cheers
Steve Very Happy
Steve H
Steve H

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Mon 28 Apr 2014, 7:29 pm

Hi

Yes best to degrease and de-dust.

I used Paint Pre-wipe. But most non residue solvent based cleaners will do the job. Once clean keep the "paws" off. I also used lint free tac-cloths to final dust wipe before painting.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Just starting out Empty Progress report

Post  Steve H Mon 19 May 2014, 11:10 am

So far so good  Very Happy 
Just starting out 2014-012

Just starting out 2014-015
Steve H
Steve H

Back to top Go down

Post  IanR Mon 19 May 2014, 11:28 am

Gosh Steve you're much further ahead than me. I'm still fiddling with all those little bolts, can only do about a dozen at time before I loose my patiants.

Looking good....

Ian

IanR

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Mon 19 May 2014, 12:26 pm

IanR wrote:Gosh Steve you're much further ahead than me. I'm still fiddling with all those little bolts, can only do about a dozen at time before I loose my patiants.

Looking good....

Ian

I agree with you Ian,they are a pain,I used a nutspinner to tighten them.
After the were all done I have sealed them in the bottom of the tender with JB Weld prior to covering with Isoflex.
Saving the messy job for another day  Smile 
Steve H
Steve H

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Sat 26 Jul 2014, 6:53 pm

Hoping to start on the the tyres front and rear this week, I see that some people recommend putting the tyres in the oven to soften them.
What sort of temp is recommended?
Any other helpful tips please.
Cheers
Steve  Very Happy 
Steve H
Steve H

Back to top Go down

Post  IanR Sat 26 Jul 2014, 7:01 pm

Hi Steve. Be very careful I managed to overcook one set for the wagon and destroyed the superglue joints. I think the oven may have been at about 90 c. After failed attempts to re glue the joints I had to get replacements. With those as it was I hot sunny day when I did it, I just left them out in the sun for an hour or 2 which seemed to work well.

Ian

IanR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next