Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2" Burrell starting out

+2
lynnr
Tom2015
6 posters

Go down

2" Burrell starting out Empty 2" Burrell starting out

Post  Tom2015 Sun 11 Jan 2015, 8:40 pm

Hi there I will be starting my 2" Burrell kits in the next few weeks purchasing kits 1-8 has anyone got any tips for my build suggestions and also what paint to use and were? I'm thinking of painting as I build to save time would this be a good idea? Any tips or suggestions welcome many thanks tom Very Happy

Tom2015

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2015-01-11

Back to top Go down

2" Burrell starting out Empty Re: 2" Burrell starting out

Post  lynnr Sun 11 Jan 2015, 9:54 pm

Craftmaster paints are the de facto. Colours up to you as its your engine. Lighter colours work well on smaller engines to highlight the detail.

I built as I went but always dry fit everything before painting. I built in kit assemblies and painted each kit. Then put together very very very carefully!
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom2015 Mon 12 Jan 2015, 12:11 am

Thanks for the reply as for painting what items need heat proof paint and what can I get away with etch priming and using normal paint? I was certainly going to trail fit then spray parts but things like the tender I will spray once that kit is complete and wrap up for safe keeping until I receive my boiler would you etch prime the smoke box etc also or do I need a special primer for that? This is my first engine so any help is greatly received and I expect many questions will be asked many thanks tom:D

Tom2015

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Mon 12 Jan 2015, 10:14 am

Tom

As you look at each kit you have to work out if the paint finish is going to be damaged by the fitting of subsequent kits, some things such as bolt heads and exposed nuts are better finished after you have attacked them with a spanner.

Good luck

Mike
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Mon 12 Jan 2015, 10:43 am

Hi Tom,

I think the only parts that require high temperature paint are the smoke box & chimney & fire doors at the other end of the boiler. Generally, the high temp paint goes straight onto the bear metal & requires heat to "cure" it! As always all surfaces to be painted should be clean & free of oil grease etc!!

A lot of builders also use high temp paint on the complete boiler assembly but believe it or not, the outside surface doesn't get that hot!! Also traditional to do the lower part of the horn plates in black, but again, you don't need it to be high temp paint!

Your boiler is copper, & most high temp paints will stick to it very well with out the special primers that would normally be required.

This is advice from someone who hasn't lit a fire in his engines yet Very Happy

You will have realised there's a lot of expertise on this forum, as fellow STW builders are oftern people who drive the full size "stuff"!!

They are very happy to pass on information & experiences they have "gleaned" from years of working with steam!

Fire away with any questions you have, there'll always be some one else who will benefit from the answers you get!!

Enjoy your build, it's probably the most "addictive" thing you'll have done to date!! affraid

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Mon 12 Jan 2015, 11:41 am

It's good to trawl thro' the previous post for both the 2" and the 4" builds,because you can almost guarentee that somebody would have asked all the questions you want answering at some time.
And it is also a great way to see what pitfalls you may come across,but being just under a Year into my 2" build I will certainly say you will enjoy the ride.
And they all seem a friendly bunch on here.
And if I or anybody else can give you any help you just need to shout.
Drop me a PM if you want to speak
Steve H Very Happy
Steve H
Steve H

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2014-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom2015 Mon 12 Jan 2015, 8:00 pm

Thank you all has anyone got any close up good pictures of painted wheels and tender once lined?

Tom2015

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyT Wed 14 Jan 2015, 5:18 pm

Hi Tom, Craftmaster paint is the paint to use. It does appear to be expensive, but the quality shows through. One bit of advice when painting your engine, think about how thick the paint goes on. Some of the tolerances are quite fine and you may find that a bit of paint may have to come off in places. I certainly found this when I repainted my engine a couple of years ago. Hope this helps. Tony
TonyT
TonyT

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom2015 Thu 15 Jan 2015, 9:09 pm

Hi guys what so I seal the water tank with and does the inside of the tender need to be heat proof paint or will ordinary satin black car paint do? Many thanks tom

Tom2015

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyT Thu 15 Jan 2015, 11:13 pm

Hi Tom, I guess you meant to say" what do I seal the water tank with". First time round for me, I used Isoflex, but I didn't get it right so rust showed through after a few years. Second time, I used the POR stuff and that seems to have done the job. As for tender, normal paint will be fine as it doesn't get that hot. Tony
TonyT
TonyT

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down