Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Setback with the cylinder -it’s got to come off....

Go down

Setback with the cylinder -it’s got to come off.... Empty Setback with the cylinder -it’s got to come off....

Post  milford59 Sat 05 Jun 2021, 2:07 pm

I managed to strip one of the threads on a cylinder stud - I guess I was tightening them up too much - I thought maybe a new stud would do the trick, but when I fitted the new stud , it’s still not tightening properly - the thread in the boiler must be damaged. I have done the same on one just below the rear cover, but that one won’t even unscrew fully - I don’t know what’s going on....but I know that I will have to remove the cylinder to take a look, and maybe the next step is helicoil....very dissapointing, as I thought everything was going well.....

Setback with the cylinder -it’s got to come off.... 7e62d310

milford59

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2019-05-19

Back to top Go down

Setback with the cylinder -it’s got to come off.... Empty Re: Setback with the cylinder -it’s got to come off....

Post  lynnr Sat 05 Jun 2021, 2:50 pm

Talk with STW before you do anything.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3205
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Setback with the cylinder -it’s got to come off.... Empty Re: Setback with the cylinder -it’s got to come off....

Post  Mark the spark Sat 05 Jun 2021, 3:01 pm

My friend had two damaged/ striped holes in the boiler so i made 2 custom studs one end with the metric end for the clyinder nut and the other end with a taperd imperial end . We drilled the hole in the block slightly bigger to clear the new stud put it together and everything was fine
So dont panic it can be repaired

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2015-04-26

LiveSteam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Sat 05 Jun 2021, 3:25 pm

Thanks Lynn and Mark - I will phone Will on Monday and see what he advises.

milford59

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2019-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum