Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Setback with the cylinder -it’s got to come off....

5 posters

Go down

Setback with the cylinder -it’s got to come off.... Empty Setback with the cylinder -it’s got to come off....

Post  milford59 Sat 05 Jun 2021, 2:07 pm

I managed to strip one of the threads on a cylinder stud - I guess I was tightening them up too much - I thought maybe a new stud would do the trick, but when I fitted the new stud , it’s still not tightening properly - the thread in the boiler must be damaged. I have done the same on one just below the rear cover, but that one won’t even unscrew fully - I don’t know what’s going on....but I know that I will have to remove the cylinder to take a look, and maybe the next step is helicoil....very dissapointing, as I thought everything was going well.....

Setback with the cylinder -it’s got to come off.... 7e62d310

milford59

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2019-05-19

Back to top Go down

Setback with the cylinder -it’s got to come off.... Empty Re: Setback with the cylinder -it’s got to come off....

Post  lynnr Sat 05 Jun 2021, 2:50 pm

Talk with STW before you do anything.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Setback with the cylinder -it’s got to come off.... Empty Re: Setback with the cylinder -it’s got to come off....

Post  Mark the spark Sat 05 Jun 2021, 3:01 pm

My friend had two damaged/ striped holes in the boiler so i made 2 custom studs one end with the metric end for the clyinder nut and the other end with a taperd imperial end . We drilled the hole in the block slightly bigger to clear the new stud put it together and everything was fine
So dont panic it can be repaired

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

LiveSteam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Sat 05 Jun 2021, 3:25 pm

Thanks Lynn and Mark - I will phone Will on Monday and see what he advises.

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Thu 01 Jul 2021, 11:13 pm

My project was on hold for a little while as I removed the cylinder, after speaking to Will,  but found that I had damaged a few of the threads and three studs would not come out. I felt a bit out of my depth and decided to ask Will if I could bring the boiler to them to get the issue sorted. So a couple of weeks ago I took it there and Ian kindly sorted the issues, helicoiled where necessary and re-mounted the cylinder.

Thank you very much to Will, Dean and Ian for getting me out of trouble. I went back to the factory on Wednesday and Will gave me a guided tour and then the boiler was loaded into my boot and it’s all back in my garage now and ready to put some parts back on.

Setback with the cylinder -it’s got to come off.... 9c56c810

milford59

tef 20, Will@STW, Mutleybob and rgreenwood like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Goliewogs Fri 02 Jul 2021, 11:00 am

I really do sympathise with you! Stripping boiler threads is everyones worst nightmare.

Goliewogs

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2016-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Fri 02 Jul 2021, 1:16 pm

It was my own fault - I saw that there would be huge pressure in the boiler and was obviously a bit over-eager to ensure all was well sealed !!   -  I am more used to cars and motorbikes where there is often a specific torque setting for fasteners.

I have a LOT to learn about "steam"........My traction engine build is the slowest vehicle project that I have undertaken.

This was the fastest - an Ultima GTR... 570hp.... 0-60 in under 3 seconds.

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Mon 05 Jul 2021, 9:06 pm

milford59 wrote:

I have a LOT to learn about "steam"........My traction engine build is the slowest vehicle project that I have undertaken.

But I think you'll find one of the most satisfying to run due to all that goes into not only getting it going, but keeping it going, it will make turning a key and off you go seem such a simplistic thing Laughing
You'll be surprised how little stuff needs to be done up if the mating surfaces are good and gaskets are good, my advice is to nip up and then if it leaks sort it then rather than tighten stuff down hard first off with the risk of causing damage. I know I've got a couple of stripped threads on my rear cylinder end plate, it weeped a bit but then soon sealed up.
I always grimace when I see folks tightening down a M6 bolt with a 1/2 inch ratchet Neutral
Nice GTR by the way

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Mark the spark likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Mon 05 Jul 2021, 11:19 pm

Some good advice there - thank you very much.

milford59

LiveSteam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Goliewogs Tue 06 Jul 2021, 1:38 pm

I always tighten up M6 bolts with just a 4" ring or open ended spanner using no more strength than my wrist! The same really goes for M8 although I may stretch to a 6" after some thought!!
Greg

Goliewogs

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2016-03-28

LiveSteam and milford59 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down