Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cylinder block

3 posters

Go down

Cylinder block Empty Cylinder block

Post  storey Mon 05 Sep 2016, 8:13 pm

Cylinder block Image10
Cylinder block Image10

Hey guys,

Finally have access to a workshop, just realised I haven't worked on the engine for a year! Now I have lots of kits to catch up on! How freely should the Pistons move in the cylinder block ? My high pressure piston is a little tight but moves freely, I imagine it will loosen up with use, the low pressure is extremely stiff, only moves with enough force to move the block across the bench. Should I sand the cylinder or the iron piston rings down or ignore it knowing it will eventually loosen with time

storey

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2013-07-08

Back to top Go down

Cylinder block Empty Re: Cylinder block

Post  Simon B Tue 06 Sep 2016, 6:45 pm

Hi

Both of my Pistons were a good fit in the bore and slide up and down easily. The only binding I experienced was when aligning the sliders, lots more shims were needed than supplied, but once set up all ran smoothly even turning the crank by hand without the fly wheel attached. My first thoughts are to ring Steve and check before altering anything.

Cheers

Simon
Simon B
Simon B

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2014-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Tue 06 Sep 2016, 7:46 pm

Have you gapped the rings? Mine were very tight until I gapped the rings, I can't remember exactly what the gap should be, around 10 - 15 thou rings a bell. To gap then put them in the cylinder (when not on the piston) and measure the gap between the two ends. If there is no gap there's your problem. The rings expand when hot to fill the gap anyway, I've heard several engines with a high pitch squeak, usually from the high pressure. It wears off after a couple of years though!
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down