Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steam Cylinder Oil & Likamobile

4 posters

Go down

Steam Cylinder Oil & Likamobile Empty Steam Cylinder Oil & Likamobile

Post  Chas Thu 26 Jul 2018, 5:42 pm

Hi, I'm looking for a new Steam Cylinder Oil supplier here in Germany for my Likamobile (Model Works version). The oil I used in the past had "1000" on the can, I assume thats the viscosity. One supplier here can offer me 500 and 700 but not 1000. I'm using super heated steam, how important is the viscosity? A local club has a full size Fowler traction engine which runs at 8-10 Bar and they use 500 oil. My Likamobile runs at 16 Bar. Also a problem is that most Co.s only supply a minimum 20 Litre, I use maybe 5 Litre in 10 years! and I'm only 76 years old, must I live to 96 to use it all up?

I would love some advice from fellow Likamobile owners.

Keep steaming, Charles
Chas
Chas

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-06-21

http://www.sonnen-ueberbrille.de   www.fahrradspiegel.biz

Back to top Go down

Steam Cylinder Oil & Likamobile Empty Cylinder Oil

Post  Goliewogs Fri 27 Jul 2018, 11:45 am

Hi, Since you've in Germany, steam oil is easy to obtain from Maidstone Engineering in 1 Litre bottles - I live in France and they posted it to me with no problem! Other than them, you could try Heritage Steam Supplies who also sell a "Universal" steam oil which is supposed to be good for bearings, cylinders etc etc so you don't need both types for all the oiling needs. I have never used it but it may be worth a try. Again, I believe they sell it in 1 litre bottles as well as larger! Hope you are successful!
Regards
Greg

Goliewogs

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2016-03-28

Back to top Go down

Steam Cylinder Oil & Likamobile Empty Re: Steam Cylinder Oil & Likamobile

Post  LiveSteam Fri 27 Jul 2018, 7:58 pm

I've been using the Morris universal Steam oil in everything on my Agri, it only runs at 120psi but the oil is apparently good up to 180psi.

No ill effects for the past 4yrs and the engines as quiet as a mouse and no need to faff about with two lots of oil.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Steam Cylinder Oil & Likamobile Empty superheated steam oil

Post  jjtjr Fri 22 May 2020, 11:34 am

Since I  am superheating on my lika series 1, I had the same problem, after much searching about high temp steam oil I found this steam oil which is good for temps over 250 degs C.  and will not wash out due to water. It comes in 5 gal pails. I just ordered it and over time it will be used. You most likely can  find it in your county. I'm running at 250 psi  Here is the link to show you the type of oil it is.    

https://petroleumservicecompany.com/chevron-cylinder-oil-w-680-5-gallon-pail/
jjtjr
jjtjr

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Back to top Go down

Steam Cylinder Oil & Likamobile Empty Re: Steam Cylinder Oil & Likamobile

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down