Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water pump

5 posters

Go down

Water pump Empty Water pump

Post  Big Al Sat 15 Aug 2009, 5:42 pm

Anyone got the water pump pumping with the engine running yet?

I filled the tank and ran her on air but alas no water coming out of the pump

Checked all me balls and they worked OK blocking up the passageways and even removed the pump (bloody job) and stuck the end in a tub of water. It worked whilst I furiously pushed and pulled the piston in and out so me balls are ok.

When I put it back it still didnt work

The only thing I can think of is that when I was pumping by hand I was using a stroke of about 2cm, I note when assembled in the engine the travel is only 11 mm. I will play around with me balls and things but would like to know if anyone else has a problem.

Alan

Big Al

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Water pump Empty Re: Water pump

Post  LilyJack Sat 15 Aug 2009, 7:50 pm

It's probably a wrong road I'm going down thinking this one through BUT, air is compressable whereas water isn't so maybe it's down to the fact its full of air in the system? I'm thinking as I'm typing as you can probably tell but when the pump pumps, its lifting air which is hardly anything in mass,is there any kind of non-return valve up to the water pump to stop the water "draining" back to the tank?

LilyJack Cool

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Sat 15 Aug 2009, 9:09 pm

All I can say at the mo is good luck
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  forge Sat 15 Aug 2009, 9:12 pm

my water pump works well. I had to prime the pump by filling with water via the top cover to get it to start.
forge
forge

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Sat 15 Aug 2009, 9:46 pm

AL, IS PLAYING AROUND WITH YOUR BALLS AND THINGS HOW YOU LOST THAT STONE !! lol!

STARTING YOUR 'DIET' AS WE SPEAK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Water pump Empty Re Water Pump

Post  Big Al Sun 16 Aug 2009, 4:18 pm

Must have been playing with me balls too much and not paying attention to the instructions wayyyyyyy back

Re checked the pipework in the tender and discovered that,like a pratt, I had put the lifter and filter on the wrong way so the pump was sucking air from the bypass pipe. Nightmare!!!

Took tender back off and was lucky enough to be able to gain access though the tank top and fiddle about and swap them around

When I checked instructions and ISO It's not fully clear (that's my excuse anyway) as to which one it fits on.

Anyway, refitted and pumps like a good'un

Bit worried about Forges comments on having to prime it first, shouldn't need to do that every time as when at rest the water will drain back down to the tender so does that mean you expect to have to remove the cover every time Hope Not !!

Medium Al

Big Al

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  forge Sun 16 Aug 2009, 4:25 pm

hi Big Al
I only had to prime it the first time i tested it. has been fine since. i have taken pump off for painting, will let you know if it still works when its back on. Spoke to isabel last week and she said we should get the next kit this week and there could be another very soon, so maybe 2 kits this month!
forge
forge

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down