Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2" Burrell Kit 21

+6
Big Al
Vapor
BUNGLE
northburrell
hughb
Steam Traction World
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

2" Burrell Kit 21 Empty 2" Burrell Kit 21

Post  Steam Traction World Mon 15 Jun 2009, 5:55 pm

Hi All,

We hope to despatch Kit 21 tomorrow. The only item that had delayed the despatch over the last few days is the pressure gauge pipe. Our supplier has had problems sourcing such small diameter pipe but has called to say we should receive it tomorrow. If it comes in tomorrow morning we should have enough time to silver solder, bend it and drop it in to the box in time for the courier arriving.

All the best

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

2" Burrell Kit 21 Empty Re: 2" Burrell Kit 21

Post  hughb Mon 15 Jun 2009, 8:45 pm

Hi Thanks
I SHILL not got in my last box Sad .AS another hole in the roof Evil or Very Mad . And been a way caving . Twisted Evil Razz Shocked Still soon it will be all done and worm ..May be Wink
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Tue 16 Jun 2009, 4:59 pm

Hello again,

Sorry but the pipe didn't arrive from our supplier to enable us to despatch the kit today. We have managed to source enough this afternoon locally to satisfy the majority of the despatches meaning that the kit will be definately despatched tomorrow (Wednesday 17th June).

Sorry for the delay.

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Tue 16 Jun 2009, 9:28 pm

Thanks for the heads up and your eforts Rolling Eyes
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  northburrell Wed 17 Jun 2009, 1:28 pm

Hi Steve..

I noticed on the Edrawings file that water gauge has a protector for it. will we get one on the 2" as I was looking at how close we will have to put the shovel to the glass when firing the engine and one false move could see it crack or break..

The other question is. The rod for working the cylinder drains will this not foul the dog leg pipe that connects to the the 45 deg elbow as it was moved to miss the crank. it looks like it might clash..

And another question! are the cylinder drain pipes meant to have a clamp that goes to the cleading like the 4" or will they just fit snug. not a problem if there's no clamp I just dont want to mess my paint up : D

Cheers for taking part in question time.

Looking forward to this next kit.

Regards

Jo

northburrell

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Wed 17 Jun 2009, 8:24 pm

Hi Jo

The 2" Burrell will have a water gauge glass protector. The masters have been made and the lost wax castings are on order. The only problem is sourcing a toughened glass of an appropriate thickness. We're probably going to try a form of mica. Not sure how long this will last because of the temperatures involved. If it doesn't work we will at least still have the four brass rods which will protect the glass tube.

You could well be right for the cylinder drain rod. Looks like we'll have to do some intricate bending (Deans quite good at that Laughing )

We haven't provided any method of clamping the drain pipes to the cladding. The toolbox and board will offer some protection.

Kit 21 which includes the water pump, check valves etc plus blanking plates and plugs to help you run your Burrell on air was despatched today.

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Wed 17 Jun 2009, 10:31 pm

HI STEVE,

WHAT THE CURRENT POSTION WITH THE PART MISSED FROM THE VALVE GEAR KIT (OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD, CAN'T REMEMBER THE EXACT PART) YOU PUT A NOTE IN THE KIT SAYING THAT IT WAS STILL WITH THE WATER JETTERS ??

bUNGLE

BUNGLE

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Wed 17 Jun 2009, 11:51 pm

Hi Bungle

I thing you're refering to the reversing lever spring thingy. Its in Kit 21. It was a right pig to make.

Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Thu 18 Jun 2009, 9:18 am

I think Steve should reveal more of Deans "bending" habits Wink
Vapor
Vapor

Number of posts : 383

Back to top Go down

2" Burrell Kit 21 Empty Air testing

Post  Big Al Thu 18 Jun 2009, 6:03 pm

Just a thought having read through KIT21 instructions, but how can we air test if the glass water level tube is missing? wont the air come out of the holes?

Alan

Big Al

Number of posts : 147

Back to top Go down

Post  northburrell Thu 18 Jun 2009, 7:08 pm

Thanks for the info on that Steve..

i'm sure even just the brass tubes will do the job. I guess the glass is only used if the gauge breaks, i'v had gauges break and it's not that bad really unlike what it would be like on a full size engine.. saying that though I also notice that the water gauge doesn't have a ball bearing in the bottom part. not all gauges have them but for the people that dont know what it does i'll say here. In the event of a gauge glass breaking (this doesnt happen often unless your really unlucky and hit the glass or the glass has been damaged, allways worth checking the glass before steaming.) the ball will block the bottom of the gauge as the pressure and hot water trys to escape stopping the very hot water from going up in the air or even in your face, the water is more of a danger than the steam in this sort of situation.

I'm sure you'll get the drain rod sorted out : D get bending Dean!

The water gauge needs some gauge glass to stop air coming out (or just cut the rod used to get the gauge setup, use the o rings aswell and that should sort it out.) to be honest i dont have a compressor so I dont think i will run on air. I'm not sure if running on air will do anything much really apart from seeing it turn over, ok you can check the valve settings but all these settings will be lost in steam due to expansion of the boiler.. the blanking plugs are good for hydro tests needed at clubs. my club is fine with using the test STW gave the boiler but it will need a steam test with them.. The funny thing is I actually have a safty valve that I think fits in the 1/4 BSP hole in the blanking plate and a hand pump that can be connected to one of the clack valves..so... I could get it in steam If i wanted too Very Happy i'm nowere near that far yet though so I probably wont..

regards

Jo

Last edited by northburrell on Thu 18 Jun 2009, 10:51 pm; edited 2 times in total

northburrell

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Thu 18 Jun 2009, 9:52 pm

DEANS HABITS HAVE LONG WORRIED ME STEVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY ADVICE WOULD BE TO BE VERY CAREFULL WORKING NEAR HIM !!!!!!

BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Thu 18 Jun 2009, 10:16 pm

OK guys
Here is my bit GET this My shead in now not just upside down but inside out ,.
I still not looked at the kit before number 21 Mad But in pulling down the shead top . Found a NOTHER HOLE ...
may be I should give up this thing I am trying to build ?????? Crying or Very sad

HO yes I got my kit in the morning .All looks good BUT the grafite yarn bag is open and all the bits are covared in it .............................................Idea Exclamation Neutral Razz
I love it thanks ..
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  northburrell Thu 18 Jun 2009, 10:47 pm

I must say, Steve, Dean really nice kit this, I just got home and had a good look... cheers

So how many of those reverser spring mounts did you drop, Loose, eat, find in your tea?! it's tiny!

Regards

Jo

(cracking on with some lining!)

northburrell

Back to top Go down

2" Burrell Kit 21 Empty Water pump

Post  Big Al Fri 19 Jun 2009, 7:31 am

I have been trial fitting the kit last night and have a problem,

The length of thread on the M4 countersunk screw that holds the 221137 Water pump Ram to 22135 Ram bush is about 1/4 inch

The hole in the ram is about 3/8 less than the overall length of the ram which means that either the M4 screw is not long enough to protrude into the ram to pick up the thread on the bush or, the hole in the ram tube is not deep enough.

I will speak with Steve today to see which is wrong and update the site

cheers

Alan

Big Al

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Fri 19 Jun 2009, 6:35 pm

Hi All

There is indeed a problem with the M4 screw supplied for the water pump ram. It is far too short. Longer oners have been ordered and should be with us on Tuesday. We'll post them out as soon as we get them.

There may also be a problem with the bypass valve O ring. This is only intended as a 'belt and braces' addition to the gland packing. Try putting a small chamfer on the end of threaded portion to try helping it enter the bore. I'll have a look at it this weekend and update the forum accordingly.

Jo's already mentioned that you can use the alignment tool supplied with the water gauges if you want to air test your engine. The one hole I have forgotten about is the 3/16" x 40 in the top of the cylinder intended for the oil check valve. I'll try to get this check valve sorted for the next kit.

Regards

Steve

p.s. I'll get some pictures of Deans bending and post them on the forum. Be warned though, it's not a pretty sight affraid

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Fri 19 Jun 2009, 9:31 pm

THANKS FOR THAT INFO STEVE, AS FOR PIC'S OF DEAN BENDING, I'VE SEND SOME BAD SIGHTS IN MY TIME, BUT NOT SURE I'M READY FOR THAT !!!!!!!!!!! pale

BACK TO THE KIT, ON THE CHECK VALVES (AND INDEED THE WATER PUMP) ISO21D AND THE G.A. DRAWINGS BOTH SHOW SMALL HANDLES THAT GO ON THE SQUARES, ARE THESE TO FOLLOW IN ANOTHER KIT ??

REGARDS
BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Fri 19 Jun 2009, 11:53 pm

Hi Bungle

I'm sure Dean will get his own back, but I have to say that the vision of Deans bending is almost enough to put you off your beer (almost but not quite). Shocked

There will be some handles. The masters are done and we are just awaiting delivery of the lost wax castings. Should be in for the next kit despatch.

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Sat 20 Jun 2009, 12:24 pm

I'm sure Dean will get his own back, but I have to say that the vision of Deans bending is almost enough to put you off your beer (almost but not quite).

Steve,

Drink the beer first things always look better through "beer glasses" even Dean's hairy butt!! drunken lol!
Vapor
Vapor

Number of posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Sat 20 Jun 2009, 9:05 pm

Are you guys on about bending the pipes ???????????
Or am I missing it ./..
AS I now have been in my shead roof and got it all down No confused affraid
I gees I need more beer..See you soon i hope
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

2" Burrell Kit 21 Empty Cooking on Gas, Running on air !!

Post  Big Al Sat 20 Jun 2009, 9:23 pm

Couldnt wait, after 2 years nearly, needed to see it runnung on its own

Used the water gauge guide cut down to block the glass water level gauge with a bit of cardboard to block off the bottom hole and loads of plumbing tape to block the top,
Found a srew to block off the oiler hole on top of the cylinder
Used blue tack and made a washer to cover the vent on the right hand side of the cylinder block - that bit wasn't mentioned in Steves comments and connected to compressor, after getting up to pressure couldn't work out why it wouldn't run then realised to open the throttled you pull back on the regulator, did that and off it went like a banshee warrior. BRILLIANT!

kept it running for about 1/4 hour and pouring oil down top of cylinder to keep piston lubricated and well chuffed.

Slightly tight but am sure it will loosen up

seems quite happy at about 40psi to run well anyone else got theirs going yet?

Alan

Last edited by Big Al on Sat 20 Jun 2009, 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling!)

Big Al

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyT Sun 21 Jun 2009, 7:01 pm

Hi Big Al.

Great to read you've got your engine running on air,as for mine we are in the middle of festival season,Download Festival last weekend cheers sunny ,and the Sonisphere Festival coming up Very Happy ,so I'm saving as much cash as I can,so I wont be buying a compressor until late August.When I do,I'll be running as well.

Do you have any video of your engine running?

cheer's Tony Very Happy
TonyT
TonyT

Number of posts : 134

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Mon 22 Jun 2009, 6:06 pm

Hi Guys
WELL DONE cheers bounce Basketball sound good As for me well you know just got to leave it for a bit Sad
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

2" Burrell Kit 21 Empty Water Pump O ring

Post  Steam Traction World Mon 22 Jun 2009, 7:42 pm

Hi All

I can confirm something that many of you already know, the O ring supplied for the bypass valve is too big. Proper ones are on order and will be sent out as soon as they arrive. (should only take a couple of days). We'll post these out with the longer screw.

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Thu 25 Jun 2009, 8:58 pm

HI all well now I am getting some were .IE not caving or beeing away here are some pics for you to giggel at of my roof and what has happend.. Laughing Embarassed Shocked Surprised Sad Smile
First for smoe reason that is beond me 3 ducks DIVE BOMDed the roof pluss a BIG stick went through the roof.
The pick show were thay did this but I have coverd up the blood and things in black.
Good job that the door opens out all the thing to fix it are now here just need good wether Evil or Very Mad
2" Burrell Kit 21 Cimg2505
All the insloshon is now out 2" Burrell Kit 21 Cimg2503
HO F a mess and yes the dimm thing are lights.2" Burrell Kit 21 Cimg2504
Well good luck to one and all
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content