Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2" Burrell kit 2&3

+2
Steam Traction World
LilyJack
6 posters

Go down

2" Burrell kit 2&3 Empty 2" Burrell kit 2&3

Post  LilyJack Tue 07 Apr 2009, 7:35 pm

Hi Dean and Steve

Just a heads up on the requirement of kits 2 and 3 together on the 25th of this month (I know this is a Saturday but I'm at college until 5pm Friday) so IF you're available to be about on the Saturday that'd be smashing super lovely great n stuff Cool

Best Regards

LilyJack

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

2" Burrell kit 2&3 Empty Re: 2" Burrell kit 2&3

Post  Steam Traction World Tue 07 Apr 2009, 7:46 pm

Hi Alan

That would be fine. Even if we're not at work that weekend, then there's no problem with you collecting them from Deans home. It's only about 5 mins from the factory.

Regards

Steve & Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Tue 21 Apr 2009, 4:13 pm

3 LONG DAYS LEFT TIL SATURDAY BOYS!!!!!!!!
Get them there kits 2 & 3 ready, and the front tyres and hub oil cap too if you please my good men Cool

See you soon

Best Regards,,

LilyJack Very Happy

LilyJack

Back to top Go down

2" Burrell kit 2&3 Empty Re Kits 2 & 3

Post  Big Al Tue 21 Apr 2009, 7:15 pm

LilyJack

For what it's worth below are my experiences with these 2 kits, some others may agree or disagree but it's up to you

Kit 2 – You could spend ages getting the perch bracket smooth, I didn’t bother and it looks OK. It’s an easy kit and you can afford to spend lots of time cleaning the brass hub caps up. I stuck loads of blue tack in side them and sunk a bolt in which I then put in my drill and then held the emery cloth against the hubcaps. Saved ages.

They mention painting in this kit. I started by using red primer from Phoenix paints but realised that when you get to the tender, the edges are brass. I totally forgot about etching brass and suffered the consequences when the paint pealed off. I would recommend etch primer for all the bits and the one I used was from Maidstone engineering and came in a spray can, about £18 per can but 2 cans should do the whole lot and it sticks like the proverbial to a blanket and fills in small scratches. Well worth it! Precision paints do a two pack primer and you buy the etch primer thinners and etch primer but I never could get it to work right, after I resorted to the spray cans I couldn't beleive I'd spent so much time faffing about with the precision paints one.

Whenever you paint always put a bolt into the threaded holes to prevent them getting clogged up. It will save time trying to re thread them when they are bunged up with paint.

Kit 3 – The name ring - polish the letters up, etch prime the whole ring, rub off the etch primer on the letters and then spray paint with top coat. When dry the final colour should come off the letters as there is no primer to hold it in place.

When you have finished the smoke box and chimney you can spray it. It looks really good in the heat resistant paint. It goes on easy and gives a good finish. Do not bother finally fixing the chimney to the smoke box as it has to come apart in Kit 20!
When you put the front tyres on and assembled the front end, take it all apart, wrap it up and store it cos you won't need it till you get the boiler.

Another tip and it will give you time to look around. Get a pair of those forceps the surgeons use and, if you ever have to have any stitches ask the Doctor for the tools he used, they only throw them away, but the pointed tweezers, forceps and other bits are really useful for putting bits in place and holding the nuts in those impossible to reach places whilst you screw the bolts on. Also for recovering the nuts/washers you drop down the side of the boiler and hornplates! (Wipe the blood and bits off them first though Very Happy )

Also a dremmel or equivalent with the little cutting discs for shortening the long bolts and with the buffing wheels for polishing using brasso liquid.

Alan

Happy building

Big Al

Number of posts : 147

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Tue 21 Apr 2009, 10:00 pm

HI AL,
WHY DO I ALWAYS READ POSTS JUST ABIT TO LATE !! AFTER WINDING MY RIGHT HAND INTO THE WINCH ON ONE OF MY TRUCKS LUNCH TIME TODAY, I'VE SPENT THE NEXT FIVE HOURS IN A&E HAVING IT PUT BACK TOGETHER AND STICHED UP. COULD HAVE ASKED FOR THE TOOLS!!!! I HAVE GOT SOME FROM PREVIOUS TIMES, SO NOT REALLY BOTHERED, BLOODY HAND 'KIN HURTS THOUGH, SO PROB NOT THE BEST WAY TO GET THEM Very Happy
PLUS BACK TO ONE HAND TYPING WITH MY LEFT HAND, SO EVEN MORE TYPEO'S !!!!!!
MORE WORRIED IT WILL SLOW OUR BUILDING, HA HO

REGARDS
BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Tue 21 Apr 2009, 10:40 pm

Big Al' cheers for the input there, already got etch primer from reading previous posts on here (bloody handy just to sit for half hour and have a butchers through all your write ups for hints n tips) study
I've been going through my workshop, seein what spare clobber I've got in me lathe cabinet, topping up on polishing tools n dremmel bits n bobs n generally just preparing for slappin it all together in true engineer fashion (means build it, take it to bits, see if u can improve it,have a beer or ten, re-assemble, paint it n think sod it, jobs good enough lol! ) oh and as for polishin me hubs, I'm pissed off with doin that now hahaha, thats all I've been bloody doing for the last week, seriously okay, they're like mirrors haha!!!

Just a tip for anyone thats maybe NOT thought of this one okay, on the lines of ya nuts dropping ( pardon the pun tongue ) blue tacks a bloomin wonderful thing to plonk on the end of a bit of looped wire for retrieving stuff, so's a magnetic pick up rod (they're cheap as chips to buy)

Bungle, what the bloody hell have you been up to ya daft sod ya Neutral
Sheesh, the things people will do for a beer. Well, it's gonna throb like a sod as well we all know I should think, hope the recoveries a quick one tho chap, keep it wrapped n clean n no hero shite (means it'll heal in its own time) Exclamation

Take it easy..

LilyJack

LilyJack

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Wed 22 Apr 2009, 5:50 pm

HI LILYJACK,
JUST DID IT TO GET OUT OF THE WASHING UP !!!!!!!!!! lol!

BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Wed 22 Apr 2009, 7:28 pm

Hi Bruce,

Get well soon. Hope it's not the hand you sign your cheques with!! lol

Next Kit ( Kit 18 ) should be leaving tomorrow all being well.

Dean & Steve.

Last edited by Steam Traction World on Thu 23 Apr 2009, 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Wed 22 Apr 2009, 10:09 pm

HI DEAN,
SORRY, YES IT'S THE RIGHT HAND (SO MESSED UP MY SEX LIFE TOO !!!!!) LOL.
GUESS YOU DON'T REALLY MEAN KIT 1 - THINK YOUV'E MISSED A DIGIT OUT ! WE DON'T NEED ANYMORE FRONT WHEELS !!!
HAND HASN'T GOT ME OFF WORK (GUVNOR'S A RIGHT B*****D - OH THATS ME !!), SO HOPE TO BE ABLE TO DO SOME ONE HANDED BUILDING, AT LEAST !!!
IS THE NEXT KIT THE GEARS ?
THANKS FOR YOUR BEST WISHES.

BRUCE

BUNGLE

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Thu 23 Apr 2009, 8:45 am

Bungle,

Look on the bright side, you might have buggered up you hand but you have saved your eyesight for a while. Laughing

Ian
Vapor
Vapor

Number of posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Thu 23 Apr 2009, 8:57 am

HI IAN,
VERY GOOD POINT, EVERY CLOUDS GOT A SILVER LINING !!!!!!!!! Laughing

BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Thu 23 Apr 2009, 9:17 pm

Sorry to here about your hand . Get well soon
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Thu 23 Apr 2009, 10:10 pm

Hiya gentlemen,

This is primarily to Steve and Dean, I've an exam tomorrow at 1pm and SHOULD LAST only an hour so I'm hoping that I can scoot away from college a little earlier, 3pm ish or earlier in which case, I'LL BE ABLE TO COLLECT MY KITS TOMORROW WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Razz

How're you managing Bungle?? Hope the throbbings easing up a little??
A good Uncle Jack and Ibroprufen always gets rid of the pain (please dont take the pain-killers bit seriously for gods sakes, it'll ruin my career in the pharmaceuticals industry!!!!!). Seriously though, hope ya not feeling too bad chap
ps: On the sex comment thing with it being your right hand? It's all good, it'll just feel like someone else is erm, you know etc etc with it being your left!!!!!!!! silent

Best regards

LilyJack Cool

LilyJack

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Fri 24 Apr 2009, 10:22 pm

HI LILYJACK,

THAT REALLY DOES SOUND LIKE A MAN OF WAY TO MUCH EXPERIENCE !!!!!!!!!!! lol!

SLIGHTY WORRIED !!!
BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Fri 24 Apr 2009, 11:14 pm

Hullo there Bungle,

Wouldn't knock it chap, celebrating 10 years of a "Wonderful" marriage today, know why??? hehe. Hope ya keeping well Cool

Best Regards

LilyJack

Ps: Woohoooooooooooo kits 2&3 awaiting my attentions over the weekend.........

Pps: Dean, that was a great trundle around the estate on your steam-car, although I have to admit my arse twitched once or twice when we went round a corner!!! But a good experience and I'd just like to say Thanks Very Much!! Very Happy

LilyJack

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Sat 25 Apr 2009, 9:46 pm

LILYJACK,
YOU WENT OUT WITH DEAN, AND HAD A TWITCHING ARSE, NOW YOU REALLY ARE WORRYING ME !!!!!!!! lol!

BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Sun 26 Apr 2009, 12:40 pm

lol! ya daft bloody prat haha!!!!
How's the hand??

Dean, smoke box wasn't exactly circlular, had a "ding" in it but managed to work the problem (also used a bearing press to get the door cover on) bugger won't be coming off in a hurry. Interference fit I think you could call it. All going well so far tho, only one issue I have is with the copper rivets for the chimney base, they're way too bloody short, nats dicks of thread protruding so I may counter sink out the cast work by 5mm in depth if it'll allow that, failing that I'll be coming to you for some longer copper rivets and I'll pean them over on the inside once the holes have been countersunk out a little.

Best Regards

LilyJack

LilyJack

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Mon 27 Apr 2009, 10:02 am

Morning lads n lasses,

Right then, I've had a re-think on the copper rivets for the chimney base and nope, there isn't enough cast to work away for better thread protrusion SOOOOOO, IF you have any longer rivets, even if not threaded then could you stick 4 in an envelope and post them off to me at all? I'm just worried that the base really isn't going to be secure with only 2 threads poking into the smokebox, hardly bugger all is it for a nut to grab to. Other than that, it's all gone well over the weekend what with the nice weather allowing spraying to be done, JUST a thought guys but if you're looking at going to the Rushden jobbie, bring along kits 1,2&3 for the 2" Burrell and I can bring along my fettled and painted items to those kits as a before and after thing for any potential punters to have a look and see what outcomes can be achieved, give them an idea as to whats what n all that?? Just a thought.. Anyway, let me know about the rivets OR suggest something else? Anyway, have a good day and hope to hear from yourselves soon.

Best Regards

LilyJack Cool

LilyJack

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down