Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2" Burrell kit 23

+4
northburrell
hughb
miller
TonyT
8 posters

Go down

2" Burrell kit 23 Empty 2" Burrell kit 23

Post  TonyT Wed 02 Dec 2009, 6:45 pm

Hi All

I've had a play with bits of this kit and the only issue I've got is the 8ba bolts to hold the lubricator bracket BU21107 to the block.On my block the holes would appear not to be an 8ba thread,so I shall have a hunt in the shed to find replacements.

Thats all,just a word of warning,wouldn't want anyone to cock things up now that we're at the end of the build.

Let play time begin,happy days Very Happy

cheer's Tony Cool
TonyT
TonyT

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

2" Burrell kit 23 Empty Re: 2" Burrell kit 23

Post  miller Wed 02 Dec 2009, 9:21 pm

thanks for the info Tony, i'll look into this tomorrow

craig
miller
miller

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2008-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post  miller Thu 03 Dec 2009, 8:13 am

tony, i have had a look at this first thing and all the cylinder blocks we have at STW do have an 8BA hole. i have also double checked the fastener that was sent out and it does seem to be 8BA.

could you please re-check your cylinder block. it may be that it has a bad thread and needs re-cutting etc.

let us know and i'll see what we can do to sort it.

probably worth everyone else checking as well, please let us know what you find

thanks

craig
miller
miller

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Thu 03 Dec 2009, 8:35 pm

Thanks for the heads up I will have a look tomorrow
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Fri 04 Dec 2009, 10:08 pm

Hi my 8 BA are ok Very Happy just some paint in them Sad
BUT I have been doing my pipe work .And as it says you will say a lot of bad things it looks at first that it is a sadistic thing . I came to the thort that the pipe had to go through the hole at the frount of the sharft .But in the end to fit it I used a pair of pliers to pull up the pipe and screw it in . Ok good Smile but then found that I had to undoo it Mad and put it between the sharft and the water gauge. Only to find that the next pipe dose not fit So after 1 & 1/2 hours all the paper work went up in the air Mad .My beer went down drunken and the only good thing is I did not have to use a plaster. Shocked
All my paper work is in a neet pile i just shut the doors and I will start in the morning at 6is...
Pluss my water valve will not fit and screw on the words say to remove the flange to fit it .BUT I thort it was sealed in side as I can not rember.... Question
Good luck to one and all .........
Ho yes I am still haveing fun.
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyT Sat 05 Dec 2009, 8:54 pm

OK Guys 'n' Gals

I screwed up,yes the holes are 8ba,guess mine were full of shit.Gave them a quick blast of WD40 and ran an 8ba thread cleaner down them.Now I can fix the bracket to the block.

Sorry if I caused any probs,time for lots of beer

Tony Embarassed
TonyT
TonyT

Number of posts : 134

Back to top Go down

Post  miller Sat 05 Dec 2009, 10:32 pm

no problem at all tony, glad it's sorted Cool
miller
miller

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Sun 06 Dec 2009, 11:26 am

Hi guys
I do not know if this is helping some of you .but here is what I heve done ,not a lot for a saterday,
Ok the pipe that I took all the time to do had to come out ?? Mad as the space were the joint is so small none of my spanners will fit 2" Burrell kit 23 Cimg2942
I did try taking off my water gauge but that will not work. As it hits the pipe so by pushing the pipe down and
out of the way so that I can fit to next one and pulling it all up . I have done it . I griped it with a pair of plyers .it took a long time but just keep going. I used some string to thred it through.
Also the pips in the write up show the two pipes on the side to be the outher way up to mine as they would not fit. 2" Burrell kit 23 Cimg2946
This dose not look as good as the drawings I think. Question Exclamation
Ho yes is there to be a fitting under the water gauge here as I do not seem to have one .I was thinking some rubber tube to get the water down .I under stand it is for letting out bubbles to see were the water is in the boiler.This may not be right.2" Burrell kit 23 Cimg2944
Well I hope that this may help some .Just rember that I am do mine but someone else is do it right cyclops
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  northburrell Tue 08 Dec 2009, 12:57 pm

I've informed STW that were still missing the clack valve handles and the blow down pipe for water gauge.. I believe these will be sent out in the next package with the stearing chains etc.

rubber hose would do the job but a nice copper pipe will look nicer..

northburrell

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Tue 08 Dec 2009, 1:38 pm

AFTER YOUR EARLIER POSTS, NORTHBURRELL, YOU STILL SEEM TO BE WITH US ?????????????

REGARDS
BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Number of posts : 232

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Tue 08 Dec 2009, 2:29 pm

Oh, Bungle you do make I larf Wink
Vapor
Vapor

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  northburrell Tue 08 Dec 2009, 3:57 pm

yep still here, i'm mainly speaking with Steve direct about things now, people seam to get the wrong end the stick when I post on here so i'm no longer adding advice about things..

Just had an e mail from Steve saying they are making new flywheel keys also.

I'm busy finishing my model and hope to have some pictures of it completed soon..

No problems with kit23 had it all built and installed within and evening. and the quality of the parts is great.

Bungle while your on here were did you get the wash the boiler out plate on your spectacle plate? is it comercial for another 2" or did you etch it yourself? Private message me if you can..

Thanks

J

northburrell

Back to top Go down

Post  tef 20 Tue 08 Dec 2009, 5:57 pm

Glad to hear your burrell is coming on Jo Have you got your crank back with all the gears running good?

Look forward to seeing your pictures

Mark
tef 20
tef 20

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Tue 08 Dec 2009, 9:29 pm

northburrell wrote:
rubber hose would do the job but a nice copper pipe will look nicer..
Hi ok thanks for this must of missed it .
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Tue 08 Dec 2009, 9:38 pm

Hi Jo
You are doing better than me on Kit 23 only had a bit of time .As I am off to work soon for a mate .
.{running in a wood with a chain saw}

Ho yes did you guys have 3 pipe clamps as on my engine I have 4 to clamp?????
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Tue 08 Dec 2009, 11:54 pm

HI HUGH, I HAVE SPOKEN TO STEVE ABOUT THE 3 CLAMPS, WHEN WE NEED 4, AND THE 'MISSING' 1 WILL BE INCLUDED WITH THE BITS DUE BEFORE XMAS (FINGERS CROSSED !)

BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Number of posts : 232

Back to top Go down

Post  miller Wed 09 Dec 2009, 8:42 am

the missing clamps have been made, the mistake with the numbers was made at the packing stage Rolling Eyes
miller
miller

Back to top Go down

Post  northburrell Wed 09 Dec 2009, 3:49 pm

Hi Mark.

Yes i got my crank and gears back today from STW.

Steve surface ground the keys so they fit snug and are nice and flat. The new gears they have sent me both fit like a glove and slide over the keys like silk. Thanks Steve for sorting it out I think I was very unlucky in getting all those bad parts in one kit..

I know everyone has seamed to not have the problems with the crank gears as I have had.. I am really testing the "build the kits with hand tools only" part that STW states in a way. I wish I had my farthers workshop to build my model with as the keys would have been milled down in seconds. but I really only have a vice, drills, files, taps etc. I have no way of grinding the small amount needed to be taken of the crank keys, and this was were a vice and file really dont help as I would never get the key perfect and flat and would create tight spots.. thanks again Steve for sorting out the problems with all of it. It's small things like the keys being ground and fitting as they should that makes the build go allot better, faster and enjoyable, i'm looking forward to getting the valve gear all setup again, then thats the main body of the engine done. it's just the wheels I need to finish then and the days of lining i've got left to do..

I would also like to thanks to all at STW as it might not have been only Steve who delt with my crank gears and keys.

Jo

Last edited by northburrell on Wed 09 Dec 2009, 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

northburrell

Back to top Go down

Post  tef 20 Wed 09 Dec 2009, 5:54 pm

Thats excellent news Jo and i am glad you posted it Cool
tef 20
tef 20

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Wed 09 Dec 2009, 6:39 pm

Hi guys
Yes heard about the clapms .Good to here about your work Jo .All is going well now .
Thankyou all involved
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Fri 11 Dec 2009, 12:23 pm

Hi Jo,

Glad you are happy with your crank and gears now. We are here to help so should you find anything else that isn't quite right or you feel needs machining with more than the facilities you have then do not hesitate to return it. We aren't perfect and can't promise to turn it around next day but will sort anything returned as a matter of urgency. That's what you pay your money for.

Cheers for the post, sometimes it easy to put something when frustrated (i'm the master at it!) and never quite as easy when something goes right, so it is appreciated.

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Tue 15 Dec 2009, 8:17 pm

Steam Traction World wrote:Hi Jo,

Glad you are happy with your crank and gears now. We are here to help so should you find anything else that isn't quite right or you feel needs machining with more than the facilities you have then do not hesitate to return it. We aren't perfect and can't promise to turn it around next day but will sort anything returned as a matter of urgency. That's what you pay your money for.

Cheers for the post, sometimes it easy to put something when frustrated (i'm the master at it!) and never quite as easy when something goes right, so it is appreciated.

Dean

Hi OK can I please have the numbers for the lottery????? Then I can come and have a bigger engine
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down