Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Today's progress

+9
hudmut
Tony King
IanL
Tim Watson
Kevster
mick 100
Robfishman
lynnr
simonbos
13 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Today's progress - Page 3 Empty Re: Today's progress

Post  Brian M Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:22 pm

I would not worry about the air leaks, mine fizzy up to 60 psi or so then seals.

On the injector issue, you may have a bit of dirt inside your cone (I know I did), which is a simple fix (just unscrew the plug at the bottom of the injector and drop the cone).

Engine looks good, well done on completing the build (just need to light a fire in it)  Very Happy .

ATB,

Brian
Brian M
Brian M

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  simonbos Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:54 pm

Thanks for the replies regarding the air leaks.
Have had a bit of a disaster today - was running engine on tickover on air only for a couple of minutes to make sure I had cured the whistle leak which I had and now the water pump ram has seized in the body.
Managed to pull it out about 1" by using flywheel but now unable to get it right out but I have a cunning plan by bolting the pump to a piece of 100 x 12 steel and welding a lug onto this so I can pull it out with two bolts on the rod that connects to the eccentric. However am worried what damage I have done to the internal brass bore. The ram was oiled up so I don't know why it has seized - what lubricates this ram? Originally thought that the countersunk screw that holds the rod to the ram had come undone but that is ok.
Will know the truth tomorrow once I've managed to pull it apart.
Simon

simonbos

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:11 pm

Engine looks great Simon,

Maybe the pump is misaligned or could it be some packing has somehow wedged itself and held the ram tight.

Were all the fixings done up nice and tight?

Kev
Kevster
Kevster

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  simonbos Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:53 pm

Hi all
Lit the first fire in the engine this morning assisted by Andy Fletcher and my father. After a slow start we eventually got up to 40 psi but the water gauge was leaking so much we couldn't see how much water was in the boiler so had to drop the fire as we didn't seem to be able to get water into it via the steam pump or injector. Slackened the nut off on the copper pipe below the left hand clack valve and water appeared to be coming out ok so don't know why it wasn't going into boiler - has anybody got any ideas or should I take the clack valve apart to investigate? Had various other leaks which hope I have sorted this afternoon. Now looking forward to next steaming.
Simon
Today's progress - Page 3 Bb7e6a424d332d496ac41ab9d077a349_zpsabf65d5b

simonbos

Back to top Go down

Post  simonbos Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:33 pm

What a great morning!
Finally got the water pump working ok and have been happily steaming around the yard for a couple of hours. Not sure if the injector is working - will persevere at the next steaming. I really feel as though I'm finally getting somewhere now and have learned an awful lot today regarding how to get the fire going, getting water into the boiler and not to let the fire go down otherwise you have a long wait to build up the pressure again. This morning's steam up has given me a lot of confidence in running the engine. The next problem is that I will have to redesign my seating arrangements as it is so uncomfortable - every time you go over a bump it traps your legs/knees and bruises them.Today's progress - Page 3 91b22433d629935248e79cd553edc833_zps5445a17a
The blower works really well in pulling the pressure up. Got up to 120 psi again but the safety valve still didn't blow off so will have to remove again and slacken spring off another quarter turn.
Only 8 weeks to go until my first rally and am wondering if I'll get my steam certificate in time. Still several little problems/leaks to rectify.
Simon

simonbos

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:47 am

Was just thinking what a great seat, then read your post, hopefully it can be easily modified.

The Engine looks great, you must be very please with finish, another lovely engine.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:48 pm

Steam Certs, use Peter Hawkins, he will travel to you, very freindly guy and you WILL get a pass, he is there to help you get through and its no use to him if you fail, besides which on a new engine unless your pumps etc fail there is no reason it will fail. He will travel to you although he is local to me, he did Ricksters in Kent and has loads of customers all over. If you have insurance in place which you can organise before the test then at a rally if you produce the insurance ( RTA and liability ) and the boiler cert he sends you then they will let you steam. If you use Walker Midgely for insurance and send them a copy of the boiler test they will send you a NTET disc by return of post.

The more you steam the better it gets, Andy will confirm the first steaming was horrid, leaks everywhere, things not working, things clashing, the second one much less fraught and much fewer problems. After the test this Saturday we steamed for about 5 hours driving about all over with virtually no problems at all. A little bit stiff on the steering but that will wear in, the regulator needs the mod but things like the leaking gauge glass and blow down cocks had sealed themselves up totally.

I see your in Essex, my first 4" "Prince" went to Suffolk, a really nice guy named Clive, very keen to get into steam, you may well bump into him at a do somewhere in that neck of the woods.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  simonbos Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:59 pm

highpressure
Many thanks for all your recent help. That's what I really appreciate about this forum - always somebody to help you with a problem and plenty of friendly advice.
Regards,
Simon

simonbos

Back to top Go down

Post  simonbos Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:11 pm

After several steamings over the last few weeks have got everything working ok apart from the injector. Needed two new globe valves on steam head to cure steam leaks and several hits with a hammer on the clack valve balls to get them to seat properly. However today took the injector to Terry Baxter for checking to discover that it was a high pressure one - Terry simply drilled it out to make it lower pressure and tested it successfully for me. Will now fit it back on engine and fingers crossed all will work as it should. Terry is such a knowledgeable and helpful man. Am now going to get the boiler inspector in so hopefully get the paperwork for my first rally on 18th May.
Simon

simonbos

Back to top Go down

Post  simonbos Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:20 pm

Something that has just occurred to me after reading what's involved in the steam test is would a pressure gauge with the red line marked at 140 psi be a failure when the working pressure of the boiler is 120 psi? The safety valve now blows off at about 110 psi. Do I need to get another pressure gauge marked correctly? Any advice gratefully received before I book the boiler inspector. Thanks, simon

simonbos

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:31 pm

Simon
The red line has to be at the working pressure of the boiler. You are allowed 10% either way. Better to get the engine up to 120 psi on the safety valves before your test (quarter-half a turn on the nut should do it). The engine will be happier and much more powerful at 120 psi rather than 110.

Good luck with the test when you do it.
Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  simonbos Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:05 pm

Tim, many thanks for that. Better phone Steve tomorrow to get the correct gauge.
Regards, simon

simonbos

Back to top Go down

Post  simonbos Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:00 pm

Finally had my steam test today with Peter Hawkins and IT PASSED. Peter is extremely helpful and the test was a lot easier than I was expecting.
Simon

simonbos

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:26 am

Congrats. Peter is fast becoming the tester of choice. Funnily enough he lives about 15 minuites east of me and is the sole reason I am in the steam movement today. When he moved into his present place I was the guy who put his aerial on the roof. Having had an interest in all things mechanical and steam I was intrigued by his place with lots of bits here and there and then he showed me the componenets for the batch 1 4" agricultural he was building. That was back in the days of Modelworks but even then the engineering standard looked good to me and it has improved no end. I buggered about for 6 months looking at various very small engines and then finally bought a Maxitrak 3" A & P. After a couple of seasons with that I finally got serious and went for the Burrell which eventually morphed into the R/L.

Anyone thinking of getting a test you wont go far wrong with Peter and he has no problems with travel at all.

Enjoy the engine, now the fun and learning really begins....  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rickster Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:29 pm

I'll second that from Highpressure about Peter Hawkins, ever helpful with loads and loads of useful advice, always willing and supportive - can't advocate him enough if you want your boiler tested, he's your man. Solved my water pump not pumping efficiently problem in minutes.

Cheers

Rick

Rickster

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  simonbos Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:33 pm

Had my steam test Thursday morning - posted insurance proposal form and boiler inspectors report to Walker Midgley that afternoon. Saturday morning my NTET disc arrived - what incredible service - makes a nice change these days.
Also asked Lynn to make me up a fictitious registration number stencil for the front of the engine as I am not intending to take the engine on the road at present and thought an old registration number would look more authentic. Within a few hours Lynn has made it and it's in the post - again incredible service. Thanks to all these efficient people.
Will post a picture of registration number once mounted on engine.
My plans for the future are to have the engine working a threshing machine together with elevator, water cart and living van. Don't know how long this outfit will be but I'm going to need a big trailer!
Simon

simonbos

Back to top Go down

Post  simonbos Thu May 01, 2014 7:38 pm

Photo of registration no. At least I've got no excuses for forgetting the wife's birthday now. Sprayed through Lynn's stencil with white radiator enamel in the hope that it will cope with the heat from the chimney.
SimonToday's progress - Page 3 Dee664e1c54b8551a5a460512bc7c609_zps4c14c595

simonbos

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Thu May 01, 2014 8:30 pm

Looking lovely.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster Fri May 02, 2014 6:51 am

Looks great
Kevster
Kevster

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  simonbos Sat May 17, 2014 7:00 pm

Helped a friend road his Burrell, threshing drum and trailer loaded with the coal for tomorrow's essex young farmers show to the show ground today. First experience of driving full size engine on the road down some narrow lanes - about 8 miles in all with a stop at the pub halfway for lunch. Looking forward to tomorrow when I will put mine beside friends Burrell called Jessie. Will hopefully get some good photos to put up on the forum - will be a case of little and large beside each other. Today's progress - Page 3 C1e78ae1793e56e912339a225c5e9248_zpsd2912c93
Simon

simonbos

Back to top Go down

Post  simonbos Wed May 21, 2014 5:40 pm

Had a great day at Young Farmers Show on Sunday. Engine performed well around grand ring and lots of interest from the public. Today's progress - Page 3 0615e2c4a3a1c011617d6a4f93bd96c9_zps7d7d437c
Christine pictured beside Jessie
Felt rather dwarfed!
Simon

simonbos

Back to top Go down

Post  simonbos Wed May 21, 2014 5:48 pm

A shot of Christine in front of my neighbours Stanley steam carToday's progress - Page 3 0486c7ac938aa37e4174ca0e4884e1a4_zps5bc54294

simonbos

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Thu May 22, 2014 8:52 pm

Excellent pics Simon, I used to be a Chelmsford Young Farmer!! Brings back memories!!

However did you see this reports of this incident in Billericay? Fowler "Giant Panther" on it's way from Young Farmers show....Very sad!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2636070/Rare-antique-steam-engine-Giant-Panther-face-100-000-repair-bill-falling-LORRY.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  simonbos Fri May 23, 2014 10:22 am

Thanks Tony
You must have been in Young Farmers same time as me - I was an Ongar member.
I was beside the Barleylands ploughing engine in the main ring at the YF Show last Sunday - in fact I made sure I didn't get too close as I didn't want to be squashed by that monster of an engine.
At the end I watched it being winched onto its low loader and the driver even shouted to me that I ought to get an electric winch when he saw me winching my model on with a hand winch. Is a real tragedy as I think the Philpotts had only just finished restoring this engine and I know it was their pride and joy. Just hope the damage isn't too severe and that it's soon repaired - just glad I wasn't the lorry driver!
Regards,
Simon

simonbos

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3