Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kit 1 Progress

+3
HStannard
PaulA
Steam Traction World
7 posters

Go down

Kit 1 Progress Empty Kit 1 Progress

Post  Steam Traction World Mon 09 Jan 2012, 11:10 am

Hi Guys,

Just to keep you updated on progress. The channel came in last Wednesday for the chassis ready for us to machine. cheers

Unfortunalty Parker Steel (name and shame!!) cut it all up incorrectly, although we did supply them a drawing, by cutting the angle along the front face instead of the top face, rendering it useless. Steve has been on to the phone to them for 2 days (Thurs & Fri) as they currently are not accepting responsibility saying we accepted the quote therefore accepting how they agreed to cut it. This was not the case.

The last correspondence we had on Friday before we left they were agreeing to re supply the channel at a 10% discount!!!!! This was obviously met with many expletives as why should we pay for their cock up.

We hope to have some sort of resolution today and I will update you further with how things are progressing as soon as I know.

We also intend to write everyone by the end of this week with an update on developments in the casting situation and kit structure. Very Happy

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Kit 1 Progress Empty Re: Kit 1 Progress

Post  PaulA Wed 18 Jan 2012, 5:59 pm

Dean,

Have you any update on the steel for kit 1.

Looking forward to getting started.

Paul

PaulA

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Wed 18 Jan 2012, 7:22 pm

Hi Paul,

Work on the 6" Foden has started. I've asked Craig to start putting some photo's on the forum as soon as there is anything worth you guys seeing.

After a massive argument with Parkers we eventually agreed a compromise & they delivered some new chassis channel on Friday 13th.

Friday the 13th it surely was as before we unloaded it, Steve went down to check it was correct & lo and behold it had been cut wrong..........again!!

They will be attempting third time lucky this Friday.

Our intention is still to aim for a despatch at the end of this month & production will be pushing hard to achieve this. Worse comes to the worse it may be a few days late but even if that ends up being the case we will still do our best to ensure there are no delays with Kit 2.

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulA Wed 18 Jan 2012, 8:15 pm

Wanted.

Steel stockholder, ideally midlands based.

Capable of cutting to spec would be a distinct advantage.

Great news that things are now starting to happen.

Paul

PaulA

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  HStannard Fri 20 Jan 2012, 4:41 pm

Hi Dean,

Has it been third time lucky on the delivery of steel for the chassis?
Also did the letter you mentioned in your first post go out last week as I haven't received it yet if it has?
Looking forward to getting started.

Regards,

Hugh
HStannard
HStannard

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2011-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Sat 21 Jan 2012, 11:47 am

Hi Hugh,

Yes the channel arrived yesterday. You'll see from the production updates part of the forum that Craig has shown some photo's of work starting.

The letters haven't been sent yet (or even drafted), things have been pretty manic since returning after Christmas but will get done as soon as Steve or I get a minute. Nothing exciting in them to be honest, probably not much more than we have discussed previously but it should give everyone a much better idea of the running order plus which items will be sand cast, fabricated or lost wax.

I'll post it on here when we send them out so you guys know to expect them.

All the best

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Kit 1 Progress Empty 1st kit

Post  hippy dave Wed 08 Feb 2012, 10:49 pm

Wots the news on the delivery of the first kit, cant wait to get started Laughing
hippy dave
hippy dave

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2011-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Thu 09 Feb 2012, 5:39 pm

Hi,

Can't say an exact day but it should go out one day next week. Main frames being welded and stuff starting to be packed.

I'll post when i know which day.

All the best

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Thu 09 Feb 2012, 6:01 pm

i was going to get some pics today but got distracted by something and forgot Embarassed i'll get some for the weekend Cool

we are getting real close now, lots of stuff has been done. also a bit of a learning curve on producing things on a slightly larger scale Cool
craig@STW
craig@STW

Number of posts : 1410
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Adam Brown Fri 10 Feb 2012, 1:18 pm

Excellent News. Can you give us an idea of whats coming and what tools we're going to need to assemble as its the first kit and we've never done this before. I'd hate to go to make a start after the wait we've had and find I needed to wait a bit longer on getting started as I didn't have the correct bits and bobs

Also I think we're yet to see the finalised kit schedule - any ideas on what the next few kits are?

Adam Brown

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2012-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Fri 10 Feb 2012, 1:21 pm

Adam Brown wrote:Excellent News. Can you give us an idea of whats coming and what tools we're going to need to assemble as its the first kit and we've never done this before. I'd hate to go to make a start after the wait we've had and find I needed to wait a bit longer on getting started as I didn't have the correct bits and bobs

Also I think we're yet to see the finalised kit schedule - any ideas on what the next few kits are?

It should not be any different from the other builds. The product pages do state. Hand tools only. Only difference I would see is the weight issue so an engine hoist would be a good idea.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Adam Brown Fri 10 Feb 2012, 8:09 pm

Thanks Lynn, but I'd still like a reply from STW - as its the first kit and all and we've never done anything like this before. We don't lack in experience of mechanical things but this is slightly different from our current projects (Living Van and ERF Showmans Tractor both in various states of completio). Finding space may be a problem though!

Adam Brown

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Fri 10 Feb 2012, 8:44 pm

yeah, i got the pics. I'll post them in a bit so you can see what to expect.

as for tools, Steve has been working on the control model and so far on kit one has only needed to use Allen keys and spanners. we have also run an angle grinder (fitted with flap disc) over the main chassis struts.

i would say that its really down to how you want to "finish" your kit. some people like to go for the full on polished look and others like to go with more of a "working engine" feel. some people like to go for powder coating, others like to brush paint or anything else in between the two.

do you want to work on a bench, or on the floor ??? will you invest in some sort of stands ???

i would certainly be thinking about how you want to paint things and maybe thinking of getting some paint but I'm sure the rest will come easy and naturally. you can get just about anything on line in a couple of days Cool

OK, im off to sort the photos....
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Fri 10 Feb 2012, 8:48 pm

PS: kit contents/order is really Steve's area. i would imagine it would be close to the smaller foden but in all honesty, that could be improved a bit, and i expect Steve will want to do this Cool
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Adam Brown Fri 10 Feb 2012, 8:57 pm

Thanks Craig. Paints the easy bit (I wouldn't touch Powder Coat with a ten foot pole for something like this) and we've got stands and spanners. Looking forward to getting started

Adam Brown

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down