Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Today's progress

+9
hudmut
Tony King
IanL
Tim Watson
Kevster
mick 100
Robfishman
lynnr
simonbos
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Today's progress Empty Today's progress

Post  simonbos Sat 05 Jan 2013, 9:46 pm

Today's progress 9b7cb30e6436ac1f0c406d0d1c717e7d_zpscf799aed
Hi all
Have completed a rear wheel today - took approx five hours including scraping excess araldite off.
Am currently building in wife's utility room as is warmer though am expecting to get kicked out soon!
Simon

Just noticed from photo that it looks as though wheel is very rusty - it is definitly not!

Last edited by simonbos on Sat 05 Jan 2013, 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad image)

simonbos

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Today's progress Empty Re: Today's progress

Post  lynnr Sat 05 Jan 2013, 10:12 pm

Looking good.

If you reply to your own post. You can keep your progress in the one thread for a more adhesive story. Smile

Well done. So I am not the only one working in a conservatory.

I spy a smokebox and tender sitting. Pictures please.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Today's progress Empty more photos

Post  simonbos Sat 05 Jan 2013, 10:22 pm

Blimey Lynnn, you don't miss much! Have to be careful not to get wife's knickers in a photo by mistake plenty of photos of build to follow in due course - its easy now I know how to do it!

simonbos

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sat 05 Jan 2013, 10:32 pm

Well there is washing in the dryer. Twisted Evil
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sun 06 Jan 2013, 12:02 am

I'd spotted the tender in the background, but had to look quote hard for the smoke box.

5hrs was good going, and I like the wheel stand that will make painting them and checking alignment easier. As for getting kicked out, you may ba right. I started in the living room, then moved to the kitchen, before finally being evicted to the workshop. Still got kits all over the house....but not for long. Laughing
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Today's progress Empty Re today's progress

Post  mick 100 Sat 12 Jan 2013, 7:21 pm

wheel looking great well done, did you have any problems ? our next kit is a rear wheel . Smile

mick 100

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Today's progress Empty More progress

Post  simonbos Sun 13 Jan 2013, 5:04 pm

Hi all
More progress this weekend - managed to paint four wheels todayToday's progress B172ebf3449a466bc641e535cf116cd6_zpsa31bb1e8
Have finally got the right colour brown for the wheels - went back to see Adam at Craftmaster who is really helpful. Am now getting to think about how I'm going to line the wheels. Bought some finesse lining tape while i was there but can't work out how to do the curves at the end of the straight runs. If there is anyone out there who would be willing to give me a lesson I would be very interested - am prepared to travel if not too far away! I must get the lining right or it will ruin the whole engine.
In order that I'm allowed to stay building in wife's utility room have suggested that I name the engine after her as was told by someone that if you name your engine after your other half you're halfway there! When she asked me why I replied because you sometimes get hot and steamy to which I nearly got kicked in a nasty place!
Mick, rear wheels were easy enough to build - the only advice I would give is start them first thing in the morning and not late in the day as the araldite takes a long time to start setting hard enough to remove with a Stanley knife. I also found baby wipes were good for removing the araldite from your hands and anything else that got covered in it.
Simon

simonbos

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster Sun 13 Jan 2013, 8:46 pm

Hi Simon,
Wheels looking good,

I used baby wipes wrapped around a finger while araldite still liquid to clean it off

You can get a nice fillet plus it keeps your hands clean.

Kev

Kevster
Kevster

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Sun 13 Jan 2013, 10:59 pm

[quote="simonbos"]Hi all
More progress this weekend - managed to paint four wheels today. Have finally got the right colour brown for the wheels - went back to see Adam at Craftmaster who is really helpful. Am now getting to think about how I'm going to line the wheels. Bought some finesse lining tape while i was there but can't work out how to do the curves at the end of the straight runs. If there is anyone out there who would be willing to give me a lesson I would be very interested - am prepared to travel if not too far away! I must get the lining right or it will ruin the whole engine.]

Simon:
It's worth considering the Beugler paint wheel system for lining wheels. It's very quick and can give part of the curved ends - in the right hands. Steve Trail has made some lovely wheels this way (see Thetford Works, Cornwall). I find that the snakes tongues are more easily done with a brush. Whatever system you use, the painted lines usually come out wider than the nominal dimension on the device / tape, so may be better to under, rather than over do it. Happy to give you a demonstration sometime in St Albans.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  mick 100 Fri 18 Jan 2013, 8:00 pm

hi what did you use to do the rear wheel fillet , ? we were thinking we might use plastic padding liquid metal .
mick and claire

mick 100

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Fri 18 Jan 2013, 8:06 pm

JB Weld filled epoxy is very good. Covered in previous threads on wheel building.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Fri 18 Jan 2013, 8:59 pm

mick 100 wrote:hi what did you use to do the rear wheel fillet , ? we were thinking we might use plastic padding liquid metal .
mick and claire

I used this and JB weld and found the liquid metal easier to work with. Having only got part way through the build cannot say if it stays in place once you start to drive the engine but it has with stood hammering in all the rivets in the spokes and wheel rim so it may be OK.

Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Fri 18 Jan 2013, 9:05 pm

Standard car body filler. No cracks and she has been roadbed.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Today's progress Empty Rear wheel rim fillets

Post  simonbos Fri 18 Jan 2013, 9:32 pm

Mick
I used JB Weld to do wheel fillets. I did use a plastic syringe which made the job fairly easy - I think it would have been a very messy job without it. Was very easy to get a nice even bead all the way around - didn't really need to do any sanding afterwards - just used a wet finger to tidy it all upToday's progress 0281ab5ba92bef198f931b7e3595dc11_zps910f1e77
Hope this helps,
Simon

simonbos

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Fri 18 Jan 2013, 11:26 pm

We used body filler on the fronts and it cracked fitting the spokes. Used JB Weld in a plastic icing bag and then a wet finger to finish off. I like the syringe idea at this should reduce the amount of waste, and make the awkward area between the t ring and break band easier.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  mick 100 Sat 19 Jan 2013, 3:53 pm

thanks to all for you're input ,did you use the red and black 24 hour one . like the idea of the syringe sounds less messy and not to much sanding .

mick and claire

mick 100

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sat 19 Jan 2013, 4:16 pm

[quote="mick 100"]thanks to all for you're input ,did you use the red and black 24 hour one . like the idea of the syringe sounds less messy and not to much sanding .

Yes, they do a large industrial pack which will work out better value than the normal tubes. This is the person I brought mine from last time but someone may know a cheaper source -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JB-WELD-INDUSTRIAL-WORLDS-FINEST-COLD-WELD-2-X-141-8G-/250858214345?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a685093c9

They also do it on Amazon but its a few pence more..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/J-B-Weld-8280-Professional-Reinforced/dp/B000ALG8LO
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Today's progress Empty JB Weld

Post  simonbos Sat 19 Jan 2013, 4:21 pm

Mick
I bought the large industrial professional size box (2 5oz. tubes) from eBay as it works out a lot cheaper than lots of small tubes. Used just about all of it on the four wheels.
Simon

simonbos

Back to top Go down

Today's progress Empty Re today's progress

Post  mick 100 Sun 20 Jan 2013, 3:10 pm

thank you rob and simon that's brilliant ,we will definitely use JB weld ,will post photo's when first rear wheel is done . Very Happy
mick and claire

mick 100

Back to top Go down

Today's progress Empty Help with lubricator

Post  simonbos Sun 20 Jan 2013, 4:07 pm

Hi all
Does anyone have any clever ideas how I screw the pump body into the lubricator tank? Have been trying for nearly an hour - even my daughters small nimble fingers can't get into the tank to turn it. Threads are all clean as it goes in easily from the outside.Today's progress 9cf10dde695d9669306d2e306c37fe25_zpsbc3e6d46
Thanks,
Simon

simonbos

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sun 20 Jan 2013, 4:40 pm

Small fine ratchet spanner or socket
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Sun 20 Jan 2013, 5:37 pm

Hi Simon,
I think I used a piece of wood dowel, whittled it down so was a good fit in the fitting, then pushed the dowl through from the outside of the box & pushed the fitting onto it inside the box, then carefully screwed the fitting in. I found the dowel helped align the treads & then was able to start it screwing in. Once you're started, privided the treads clear it should go in easily.
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  hudmut Sun 20 Jan 2013, 5:42 pm

Get a drill bit that fits in side of the fitting wipe a bit of flux arond the thread get it all in the best you cam with a screw driver spanner or what ever then just run a dab of solder round it it dont need to be tight then as the solder will hold it not just that no leaks all over the place
hudmut
hudmut

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-07-05

https://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/hudmut/My%20little%20se

Back to top Go down

Today's progress Empty Help with lubricator

Post  simonbos Sun 20 Jan 2013, 7:47 pm

Thanks for the replies - used the end of a pencil forced into the end to start it in the hole - went in easily once started in threads.
Next query: what holds the lubricator lid shaft in place as mine is a loose fit through all the hinge holes - do I just loctite two holes?
Simon

simonbos

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sun 20 Jan 2013, 7:55 pm

Loctite
lynnr
lynnr