Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Craftmaster Paint - brush painting - fine bubbles

5 posters

Go down

Craftmaster Paint - brush painting - fine bubbles Empty Craftmaster Paint - brush painting - fine bubbles

Post  MrStationHouse Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:06 pm

Hi All,

I am having a little difficulty with bubbles in my paint. When I apply the paint largish bubbles appear which then brush into small ones which do not brush out. Craftmaster are investigating for me, I have spoken to and visited a professional engine painter here in Cirencester and he tried both his paint and mine and we still get the bubbles. I was wondering if anyone else who is brush painting is getting the same problem? It may not be apparent at first glance but if you peer closely you may be able to see lots of tiny bubbles. Indeed I was doing some volunteering on the Talyllyn Raliway last week and looked at Dolgoch which had just been painted with Craftmaster and noticed the same - load of different bubbles.

Now I am not saying that Craftmaster disbeleive me, but the fact that I am the only one moaning about this issue goes against me - which could of course mean it is my fault in my technique or that it is largely going unnoticed. I would though welcome anyone else who is brush painting having a close look to see if there are lots of tiny bubbles.

With best wishes
Simon

MrStationHouse

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Craftmaster Paint - brush painting - fine bubbles Empty Re: Craftmaster Paint - brush painting - fine bubbles

Post  sonick45 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:08 pm

I am using craftmaster and brushes and have had no real issues with it.

The only times I have had a problem is when i hadn't prepared the surface properly.

Once was when I had accidentally contaminated the surface with turpentine which the paint didn't like.
I got bubbles then.

The other time was when there was wax residue from a polish cloth that had got onto the surface and I hadn't spirit cleaned before painting.

Try painting another surface using different cleaning techniques and products to see what might be causing the problem.
I would be surprised if it was the paint more likely a contaminant on the surface you are painting.

What are you cleaning your brushes in?

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Craftmaster Paint - brush painting - fine bubbles Empty Bubbles

Post  lynnr Wed 06 Jul 2011, 4:18 pm

Hi

Also how long was the primer on for? as it can absorb moisture as it is not a "weather" coat. Then when the spirit from the top coat penetrates the primer it liberates the moisture.

lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Craftmaster Paint - brush painting - fine bubbles Empty Re: Craftmaster Paint - brush painting - fine bubbles

Post  MrStationHouse Wed 06 Jul 2011, 5:16 pm

Thanks both:

1. I have tried a variety of techniques, lots of paint, little paint, slow painting quick painting etc but to no avail. Because I was frstrated that was why I spoke to the professional painter and went to see him - we tried his brushes, his materials etc - same result. I even bought a new brush and top quality white spirit - still these bl***y bubbles.

2. The primer was on for 3 or 4 days

Are you both sure if you look closely there are no tiny bubbles??

Thanks for you thoughts anyway

With best wishes
Simon

MrStationHouse

Back to top Go down

Craftmaster Paint - brush painting - fine bubbles Empty Bubbles

Post  lynnr Wed 06 Jul 2011, 7:31 pm

MrStationHouse wrote:Thanks both:

1. I have tried a variety of techniques, lots of paint, little paint, slow painting quick painting etc but to no avail. Because I was frstrated that was why I spoke to the professional painter and went to see him - we tried his brushes, his materials etc - same result. I even bought a new brush and top quality white spirit - still these bl***y bubbles.

2. The primer was on for 3 or 4 days

Are you both sure if you look closely there are no tiny bubbles??

Thanks for you thoughts anyway

With best wishes
Simon

Hi

I am sure I do not have bubbles as I am using Imron 2k paint system. This is a colour base and a catalyst
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Rickster Wed 06 Jul 2011, 7:55 pm

Hi Simon,

Yeah - I had/have lots of little bubbles when I brush paint. Using Craftmaster with the Purdy brushes and Craftmaster thinners. I clean the brushes using a cheap thinners - £15/5 litres. They only appear in the top coat enamel, not undercoat.

However, I thought it was part of the process as they seem to dissappear but I know what you mean - they do seem to hang around for a while, but now it's all dried, i can't say I've seen them, which isn't to say they aren't there, I'll go have a close look this evening to see if I can spot any.

cheers

Rick

Rickster

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse Wed 06 Jul 2011, 8:17 pm

Thanks Rick,

I bet if you look closely they will be there, they are quite distinctive from dust etc.

Cheers
Simon

MrStationHouse

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Thu 07 Jul 2011, 4:44 pm

Simon,

I suggest you go back to Craftmaster.

I have checked again and i have no bubbles.
I even cleaned the surface with WD40 before and it's clean.
I have tried to take a photo as close up as i can get with my camera on macro setting.
You can see a few tiny flecks of dust but there are no bubbles.

Side of tender
Craftmaster Paint - brush painting - fine bubbles Cimg1910

hope you get it sorted.

Nick

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  hudmut Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:48 pm

Sorry it has taken so long for me to pickup on this a good gentleman fried of mine put me on to the thread this evening.

I have all so been having a hell of a time with my paint and i still don't have the answer to my problems (the same as yours) BUT i have worked out a few things for my self along with a few other ideas left to try.

What i have found is it does not matter what i do i will all ways get problems in my top cote never in my primer or base cote even missing the base cote and primer out and just painting any thing i can find as a test peace i still get the same problem. Now iv been to hell and back trying to sort this out I'm using all top line gear in a booth you name it iv got it for painting and iv been doing this sort of thing for years and have advised a list of other people how to paint there engine but at this very moment in time i don't think i could paint my own boots if i tyred.

What I'm getting at is i would love to speak to you in person either with a personal email or over the phone so please get in touch if you would like to work on this as a team.

As a side note crarftmaster have been like god's to me have been there right from the start trying to help and still are i think its some thing we are doing not some thing with the paint well to a point any way
hudmut
hudmut

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-07-05

https://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/hudmut/My%20little%20se

Icard72 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse Thu 14 Jul 2011, 10:37 pm

Very happyto talk on the phone, will send you my details on a private email.

With best wishes
Simon

MrStationHouse

Back to top Go down

Post  hudmut Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:09 pm

Thank you Simon ill be in touch soon

Stuart
hudmut
hudmut

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-07-05

https://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/hudmut/My%20little%20se

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down