Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thetford Works (Cornwall)

+40
Jim the Shovel
bazzer
elwood-59
sonick45
poachermas
chas12154
Mark the spark
TonyT
Adam Brown
LiveSteam
graemejudge
SSGR
the governer
Heavyhaul
showman shane
Steve H
32A
Road loco
iain
tractor mike
Kiwiconnection
Alex-Jan
Mark Lewis
ejparrott
highpressure
mikero
Steam Traction World
Tony King
Robfishman
Richard
IanL
Kevster
Graeme81
Tim Watson
bjwlancashire
Waterways
hughb
lynnr
Vapor
Steve Traill
44 posters

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 12 Empty Re: Thetford Works (Cornwall)

Post  iain Thu 19 Jan 2017, 9:07 am

just to try help a little finding the above:

with safari open, top left click on "safari", then preferences.

In the box that pops up go to advanced at the end, scroll to the bottom and tick "show develop menu in menu bar.

Now up at the top (where you clicked safari in the first instance) there is a new heading called Develop to the right. Click that menu and you will see "empty caches"

Hopefully that will sort it out.

iain

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2012-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Thu 19 Jan 2017, 3:15 pm

Hi Ian

Thanks for the info, I did exactly as you said and it all panned out as you said however after turning off the Mac & then turning it on again Then logging in I have hundreds of question marks in little boxes instead of pictures and still no tool bar when posting something.

I think I'll give it up as a bad job now! Thanks anyway.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Thu 19 Jan 2017, 7:53 pm

Have you tried using google Chrome or firefox instead of Safari?

I have used mac since 1990 and quickly stopped using safari as its crap.

Ive had many issues with it using web design so much so i vow never to use it again. Apple safari does not support all native scripts and could be the cause of your issues.

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Thu 16 Feb 2017, 3:41 pm

Latest little mod, when dismantling the stevenson valve gear the pin that goes through the brass block was quite worn on the sides which indicated that it was revolving in the two cheeks either side.  The wear should be on the brass block.

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 12 Img_0110

To remedy this I have cut a notch in the head of the pin and fitted a roll pin to one of the cheeks of the valve rod connecter.

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 12 Img_0111

I'm still having trouble with my computer in that it thinks that a certificate has run out on the 15th December 2016 and doesn't trust the forum.
At the moment I can post pictures but I can't see them!  all I get is a little question mark in a blue box.

Last edited by Steve Traill on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 7:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Post  bazzer Thu 16 Feb 2017, 5:35 pm

Hi Steve,
Can you explain what the mod is, I can only see a worn pin.

Barry
bazzer
bazzer

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2015-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post  bazzer Thu 16 Feb 2017, 7:45 pm

Ah, I see now!!
bazzer
bazzer

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2015-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Thu 16 Feb 2017, 8:37 pm

Use. CTRL and F5 to force a page refresh or click on the padlock and refresh SSL certificate.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Thu 16 Feb 2017, 8:55 pm

Thanks Lynn, I'll try that later.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Mon 20 Mar 2017, 11:42 am

Another little mod I've carried out to the crane engine,  although it passed it's steam ticket the injector was a bit dribbly.  i figured it needed a good clean, there is a sliding washer inside that diverts the water into the boiler and if that gets dirty it can dribble.  A friend suggested an ultrasonic cleaner, sounded expensive but only £20 on ebay so sent off for one.  As we all know taking the injector off means draining the tender & belly tank as one has to take the valve & filter out to remove the injector.  To overcome this I have silver soldered a short length of pipe & connector straight into the water valve body.  It pushes the injector forward 12mm but is still clear of the brake shaft.  The steam in pipe actually fits better this way as it's in the middle of the hole in the tender.  The water feed to the boiler needs reducing by 12mm.  Now to remove the injector for a clean it's just spin three nuts off & you keep a tender & belly tank full of water.

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 12 Img_0210

Here's the Ultrasonic cleaner, designed mainly for jewellery and very gentle on metal parts, just add soapy water and by the colour of the water after a couple of cleans it found a lot of grot somewhere!  It has an 8 minute timer and for a good clean it needs about 6 sessions.

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 12 Img_0211
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 12 Empty A bit more bling

Post  Steve Traill Tue 21 Mar 2017, 8:18 pm

Whilst we were testing some engines the other day I notice one had a rather nice brass sleeve on the water control lever for the injector.
Here's my interpretation of it and I know I should have built a Showmans!!

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 12 Img_0212
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 12 Empty Agricultural mod.

Post  Steve Traill Mon 26 Jun 2017, 5:02 pm

I was with Froistie the other day at the Bodmin & Wenford Heritage Day with our agricultural engines side by side on the platform boiling water for the day but giving the visitors something to look at when the trains weren't in.  Scorching couple of days & very pleasant they were too.  Something that Frostie pointed out was how hidden away my lever was for opening the firebox doors.  His much later STW version had a longer end on it whereas my early Modelworks one didn't.  To remedy that I have made  an extension which with some stainless steel panel pins I've riveted to the original handle.  Another bit of brass to polish or I might just let my hands keep it shiny, it's used often enough.

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 12 Fullsi10
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Tue 11 Jul 2017, 8:59 pm

Thought I'd try fitting a ptfe seat to the regulator block.  First of all I machined a new puck only 1mm shorter, then machined away a recess about 1mm deep.  Then from a chunk of ptfe bar made the 2mm discs you see in the pic.  I did a couple of spares as I don't know how long they will last.  For some reason the pics have gone sideways, still you get the drift.

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 12 Img_0710

It's a pretty snug fit so don't see the point in trying to glue it yet, lets see what happens!

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 12 Img_0711

Update after the next steaming.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Tue 11 Jul 2017, 10:14 pm

This will be an interesting experiment, must admit my PTFE mod on the globe valves are one the best things I've done on our MW Agri.

My only concern might be how well it will copes with the friction and especially once its been left stood a while and you get a little rust build up on the cast seat ??

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Tue 11 Jul 2017, 11:03 pm

I have seen PTFE used as piston rings, CNC machined from tube into a spiral spring. Not sure how long they lasted though.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Thu 13 Jul 2017, 7:34 pm

I've heard that some of the full size engines are fitting ptfe plates on the regulator block so if it works for them it should work for a miniature. Years ago I pondered making a complete block out of ptfe but decided it probably wasn't strong enough. Just fitting a disc in under the regulator block means it is only under compression and is easily changed. I haven't even glued it in, it's just a snug fit. I wasn't sure if araldite would have coped with the temperature and I didn't think silicone would stick to ptfe.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Fri 14 Jul 2017, 1:32 am

I would worry that there would be erosion at the point where the puck first opens, especially if you have filied a vee in the delivery hole.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Sat 15 Jul 2017, 10:48 pm

I've decided to go down the SS plate route, I've been milling a plate today 1.5mm thick to bolt on top of the cylinder block like the Road Loco's and I believe all new engines from the STW stable. The problem with cast iron is it rusts and that puts grooves in the brass which lets the steam leak. I hope that with a stainless steel base & a ptfe slide it should be leak free & last a long time. Boconnoc will be a good test!
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Sun 16 Jul 2017, 10:37 pm

Steve Traill wrote:........... The problem with cast iron is it rusts and that puts grooves in the brass which lets the steam leak.  

Yep my MW agri brass puck looks like the Himalayas Laughing and yep it does let by, I've wondered about polishing it out and getting it to seal fully but kinda like the fact it will tick over very very slowly, there's zero power in it as you can stop the flywheel with your little finger, I call it a design feature Laughing

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Sun 16 Jul 2017, 11:10 pm

In the building trade we turn a f**k up into a feature if we can! I just like things to be right and if it should stop with the regulator in the off position then that's what I aim for. Hopefully the mod will improve things, I just wonder if the ptfe is hard enough, only time will tell. If it works it's a simple mod for STW to incorporate and make their engines even better.

I was thinking the other day that my agricultural is the oldest 4" Burrell from the original Modelworks (Steve Baldock/LSM) design. It's been rallying since April 2006 and apart from the odd oil cap that has flown off into the long grass when thrashing around nothing has broken or worn out. No replacement parts have been added other than updating things like the bigger chimney, the water pump mod and that's about it really.

All the glands, bearings etc are original and since running in haven't been touched which I think is pretty good going, I'm still on the original cast iron grate although it does have a couple of cracks in it.
Having also been on Tim's Showmans for 85 miles to Brighton and the engine still running pretty good it just shows how durable and well designed they are if built well and that they have stood the test of time.
Big pat on the back to Steve & Dean at STW for a quality product.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Mon 17 Jul 2017, 7:46 pm

Steve Traill wrote:

I was thinking the other day that my agricultural is the oldest 4" Burrell from the original Modelworks (Steve Baldock/LSM) design.....

My Agri is the original Control model which went on to be their demonstator Cool although to be honest up until I bought it, just over 3yrs ago, the engine had spent majority of its life as an ornament at the factory. So its not really run in yet Laughing Laughing but like you I've not had any problems in the past 3yrs, the original cast grate is now getting very sad, theres a middle section of a couple of inches which is welded solid and has two cracks in it but she still fires and steams fine so cannot see any reason to change it just yet. Not managed to loose any oiler tops but did manage to lose the top cone out of the injector ......dont ask Embarassed

They are cracking engines and I always enjoy telling folks that as long as you can handle a spanner or two and a paint brush anyone can build and run one Cool

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 12 Empty Don't do this!!!

Post  Steve Traill Fri 04 Aug 2017, 8:35 pm

Just an update on the modification I did to the regulator puck, here's a pic!

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 12 Fullsi11

As you can see it melted and was sucked down the hole leaving the regulator jammed wide open.  Fortunately it was stationery at the time and heavy pressure on the flywheel stopped it going into self destruct mode until we dropped the fire & blew down to release some of the pressure.  It was going so fast that putting the reversing lever into the middle notch meant that it still ran like the clappers just on momentum.  Bit scary for a few minutes, so ptfe disc on the regulator puck is a no no.  It was all going so well too, it was only two & a half hours in that this happened.  Back to the original brass puck no with no side effects.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Mon 07 Aug 2017, 9:30 pm

Crumbs, that must have been a bit hairy. Lucky you were out of gear at the time !!!

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Mon 07 Aug 2017, 11:06 pm

It was lucky we weren't driving around at the time although it was still in the test/wait & see mode and it was raining at the time, somebody up there was looking after me!! Looking forward to Dorset with the crane engine, only driven it a couple of times this year as the aggi has been busy at the rallies.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Tue 22 Aug 2017, 5:29 pm

All ready for the journey to GDSF

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 12 Img_0810

Here's with it's raincoat on!

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 12 Img_0811
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 12 Empty Isofix car seat fixings

Post  Tim Watson Tue 29 Aug 2017, 3:08 pm

It isn't currently well known that STW trailers are designed with Isofix mountings to take children safely around rally fields.  Here we see Charles Watson taking advantage of this development at GDSF.

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 12 1etftz

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next