Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thetford Works (Cornwall)

+40
Jim the Shovel
bazzer
elwood-59
sonick45
poachermas
chas12154
Mark the spark
TonyT
Adam Brown
LiveSteam
graemejudge
SSGR
the governer
Heavyhaul
showman shane
Steve H
32A
Road loco
iain
tractor mike
Kiwiconnection
Alex-Jan
Mark Lewis
ejparrott
highpressure
mikero
Steam Traction World
Tony King
Robfishman
Richard
IanL
Kevster
Graeme81
Tim Watson
bjwlancashire
Waterways
hughb
lynnr
Vapor
Steve Traill
44 posters

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Empty Re: Thetford Works (Cornwall)

Post  IanL Sun 19 Feb 2012, 11:57 am

Hi Steve,

What width wheel did you use in the Beugler pen to do the pinstripes on the wheels? Did you do the thicker inner stripe also with the Beugler? I still have to start doing this on my DCC road loco. Can't seem to pluck up courage to get going.

I like the boat, does it have an inboard engine?

Best wishes

Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Empty lining

Post  Steve Traill Sun 19 Feb 2012, 8:29 pm

The fish tails are done free hand at the hub end as guessing the distance to start is easy, i finish at the rim and place a sliver of masking tape to give me a turning point as ones hand tends to get in the way.

The wheels I use are the thin line is a No. 16 wheel and the wide one doesn't have a number but is 7.5mm wide & fits the standard beugler pen.

The boat does have an inboard 1800cc Volvo Penta engine & Z drive. Does 35 knots with a skier behind so I have been told, very nice boat & enjoyed rebuilding it. It was about ready to be turned into a planter on a roundabout!
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Sun 19 Feb 2012, 10:07 pm

Steve,

Many thanks for the information about the lines and the boat, a very lucky escape for the boat. I hate seeing boats as planters they never look right in my opinion. The boat sounds like it should be fun and quick. You have done a superb job on the front deck and the hull looks great.

Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Empty Deans front wheels

Post  Steve Traill Sat 21 Apr 2012, 10:24 am

Here's a shot of the original front wheels from 'General Gough' which is the colour scheme that Dean requested for his Showmans engine. After that is a few shots of my interpretation of that scheme. I've added a rim line as I feel it looks the better for it. In total there's 406 lines on the two front wheels!
Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Dscn2113

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Dscn2310

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Dscn2311

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Dscn2312

I have to say that the Craftmaster paint I use really is superb and the wet look shine really lasts. Looking at the original General Gough wheel and my wheel the gold paint I use is just as good as the gold leaf on the original only much easier to apply.

Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster Sat 21 Apr 2012, 12:05 pm

Those wheels look superb! what a finish.
Any chance of a youtube video of the process Steve?

Im sure many would find it very interesting and helpful , I know I would for one .

Thanks

Kev
Kevster
Kevster

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sat 21 Apr 2012, 12:47 pm

grate paint job
Richard
Richard

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2011-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sat 21 Apr 2012, 5:20 pm

affraid 406 lines. A great job though.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Empty Showmans wheels

Post  Steve Traill Sat 21 Apr 2012, 5:58 pm

There's not much chance of a video I'm afraid, besides I think it would be pretty dull if done in real time! Painting is like many other trades in that you can watch someone else do something but you still have to learn how to do it yourself as so many parts of it are how something feels etc. Preparation is the key, there aren't many short cuts that I know, I've listed a few tips below that I find useful.

1, Keep a very soft paintbrush handy when spraying so that before you leave it to dry, check it over & if a drip is forming you can brush it out.

2, Plan any lining with the Beugler well in advance, start from the centre & work out (on spokes)

3, Put a couple of pieces of masking tape either side of the Beugler to increase grip

4, Have a rub out tool handy for any lines that run on too far.

5, When spraying wheels get in the habit of counting spokes so you don't spray the same one twice.

6, Arrange an angled ark light to reflect the wet paint so that you can easily see when full coverage has been achieved

7, Have white spirit handy so if the lining goes wrong you can wash it all off & walk away & pour a cold beer.

Hope it helps
Steve
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Tue 24 Apr 2012, 1:23 pm

Nice work Steve, you must have the patience of a saint Smile

I hope you are charging Dean appropriately, you may not be so cheerful after doing the rear wheels.

What colour scheme are you doing your crane engine?

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Empty Crane engine

Post  Steve Traill Tue 24 Apr 2012, 7:39 pm

For my crane engine I'm going to base it on 'Old Tim' as I didn't want two engines with Crimson Lake wheels. Having started on Deans Showmans I'm really enjoying the challenge of the painting. The hard bit is bending over the wheels whilst lining, it kills my back for a while. I was looking at pictures of 'Dolphin' today, which is about as fancy as a Showmans can get, and working out how to recreate that look. There's a lot to do yet though!
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Empty More wheels

Post  Steve Traill Fri 01 Jun 2012, 11:19 am

Three sets of wheels nearly finished, just got to lacquer the axles & then it's on to the back wheels, I've modified the perch bracket to take the jib of my crane engine. It's all welded mild steel, the casting welded really well (and strong!) so that was a relief. Here's some photos.

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Dscn2313
This is Steve's wheel based on 'The President' looking at my computer the centre of the spoke looks off-white whereas it is really pale gold, or dark straw. Probably just the screen not showing the true colour.
Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Dscn2314
Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Dscn2315
Top one is General Gough axle, middle one is Old Tim and the bottom one is The President.

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Dscn2316
This is the modified perch bracket , below is a shot of the front of 'Old Tim'

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Dscn1010

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Dscn2317

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Dscn2318

Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Fri 01 Jun 2012, 4:23 pm

You're getting VERY professional with lining Steve!! Wonderful to see the different engines you're building.......... Do you have to squeeze in a day job too? Very Happy
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Empty Work

Post  Steve Traill Fri 01 Jun 2012, 4:48 pm

There is a day job teaching construction so I'm kept pretty busy with everything.

I also went on a lining course run by Craftmaster which was very informative, good fun and well worth the cost.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Sun 03 Jun 2012, 11:41 am

Steve

Maybe you should turn professional painter and builder, you obviously have the skill and the speed judging by the work you have got through so far. I look forward to seeing more photos of "Old Tim" as you progress and can't wait to see it on it's wheels.

Have you begun to build the crane jib yet?

By the way, I am currently on holiday in Cornwall for the week and it is NOT sunshining yet!!!!! Staying at Porth Beach near Newquay, were here for the Royal Cornwall Show if you get the chance to visit - Steam Yachts are visiting.

Cheers

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Mon 04 Jun 2012, 8:39 am

That grey wet stuff that falls out of the sky is called 'Cornish sunshine'. I know it well...

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Empty Sunshine

Post  Steve Traill Sun 10 Jun 2012, 4:49 pm

Hi Brian

Just got back from a week in Italy with wall to wall sunshine & 28 degrees, missed the RCS this year. Will be starting the crane jib pretty soon, I saw lots of cranes in Italy as every building site has one & kept thinking of how I was going to fabricate the jib for my engine, it's all pretty much past the planning stage now!

Judging by the number of branches & leaves blown down in the garden I guess the weather hasn't been too good, hope you enjoyed your stay though.

Regards
Steve
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Empty Progress

Post  Steve Traill Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:48 pm

Here's a few pics of the engines so far:

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Img_0210
The one nearest the camera is Dean's Showmans and the other one is 'Hercules' my crane engine.
Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Img_0211
Sorry about this one being sideways, it wouldn't fit the other way! bending the end of the jib round my knee was a bit painfull but worth it
Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Img_0212
It's scaled from a drawing in the Burrell Style book with a certain amount of guesswork. Very pleased to fit it & find the cable runs exactly as it does on 'Old Tim' which is through the bottom of the middle X to where the winch drum will be. Steve's engine (The President) is being assembled & painted into lifteable sections & stored until I have the assembly space.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:10 pm

That is scary. Was thinking last night that we had not heard anything from you in a while.

Nice to see an update. Take care of those knees. The jib bending is not as painful as the kowtowing
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Empty Kowtowing

Post  Steve Traill Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:07 pm

I use my Land Rover for that!
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Thu 06 Sep 2012, 6:57 am

Very impressive Steve, wonderful project that crane engine!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Thu 06 Sep 2012, 8:25 am

Wooooohooooooo, well done Steve.......getting excited. I can almost see myself outside the beer tent generating as i type.

Will it be finished in time for Welland in two weeks? lol Very Happy

Cheers

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Thu 06 Sep 2012, 11:21 am

Not many workshops have lace curtains. I'll vouch for that impressive crane jib!
Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Empty Smokebox door

Post  Steve Traill Thu 06 Sep 2012, 3:51 pm

I did worry that I should do a lift out smokebox door, however they always look so dull & then I saw a smaller Burrell crane engine with a straight jib & a side hinged smokebox door. Probably a later conversion perhaps, anyway, all they did for access was knock a couple of pins out & lower the jib using the winch. 'Simples' as our little furry friends would say so that's why I've kept the standard side hinged door. cheers
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Thu 06 Sep 2012, 6:59 pm

Windows in a workshop would be good.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Empty Winterising your engine

Post  Steve Traill Sun 14 Oct 2012, 11:01 pm

As it's the time of year that I usually put the engine away for the winter I thought I'd share a few thoughts with some of the newer owners of these great little engines. The things I do are by no means exhaustive or offer any guarantee of reducing corrosion and others may have better methods but for what it's worth the following methods have always worked for me:

Thetford Works (Cornwall) - Page 2 Rotati10

The first job is to drain the boiler down and wash it out. For this I've attached a length of microbore copper pipe to a garden hose with an isolation tap for some degree of control. This allows me to poke it into it's drain plugs and give a good wash out everywhere & I usually do this until the water runs clear. I then put a couple of pieces of paper towel in the drain holes just above the damper to act as wick to drain any last standing water.

I then remove the access panel to the tender and drain that out & check for corrosion. I used Isoflex to paint the inside of the tender back in 2005 and it's standing up pretty good (no rust to date). I use a sponge to remove the last 1/4 inch of water & then check the filters on the pick-ups.

The next job is to remove the safety valve, cylinder end cover & the valve chest cover. It's surprising how much water/condensation accumulates there and over the winter it can do some damage. I dry this all out with paper towel and liberally brush steam oil around all the surfaces and replace the covers, coating the gaskets with steam oil or grease so they don't 'stick'.

I leave the bungs out during the winter to let dry air into the boiler, it is chained up in a shed with a dehumidifier set on a timer to work for 4 hours every night. This also means the brasswork stays shiney until next spring!

I then drop the ashpan & give it a good clean (as opposed to a bang against a tree) and check all is well. I'm still on the original cast iron grate which is actually still in good nick. It seems to have grown slightly in width this year as it's a tight fit in the boiler so I ground a few thou off each side this year. How long it will last I don't know, a lot didn't make one season at the time and that is why the new ones are steel bars. I like to think that I control my fire well & that why it's lasted! but in reality I was probably just lucky to get a good one.

After that I then spend half an hour every so often cleaning one part really well. It's surprising then when next spring comes around your engine is gleaming again.

Hope this is of some use to the new engine owners, 'Trelawney' was the first Modelworks Burrell in steam & registered for the road back in Feb 2006 and last year when we put a camera in her boiler there was virtually no corrosion and the cylinder block is still like new.
Cheers.

Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Icard72 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next