Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any advice for a new starter?

+6
tef 20
andyc
craig@STW
chrisnchrisroberts
lynnr
JerryT
10 posters

Go down

Any advice for a new starter? Empty Any advice for a new starter?

Post  JerryT Fri 20 Aug 2010, 8:08 am

Good Morning All

I took delivery of all the kits for a 2" last week, and I've now got a shed full of boxes staring at me!

Any words of advice/comfort/warning would be greatly appreciated before I dive in ( starting with an Olympic content checking session).

As an aside, this forum and the support given was one of the factors that made me choose this kit,

I'm sure I'll be posting again shortly- just look for posts labelled 'HELP'

regards

Jerry

JerryT

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-07-23

Back to top Go down

Any advice for a new starter? Empty Welcome

Post  lynnr Fri 20 Aug 2010, 8:12 am

Welcome aboard.
I would suggest, as a kit1 4" Scenic, builder you start at kit1 and do not be tempted to do the, hum that looks interesting thing and then have lots of kits part way through.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Any advice for a new starter? Empty Re: Any advice for a new starter?

Post  chrisnchrisroberts Fri 20 Aug 2010, 10:21 am

When it all looks too hard, keep going, read all the posts on here, then read them again, most, if not all the faults, have been posted on here. And when all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS, anyone can do that! Be prepared to pull things apart numerous times and then once more. Chris

chrisnchrisroberts

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Fri 20 Aug 2010, 10:55 am

i would agree with checking all your kit contents first. if you do find any shortages, (including fasteners) make a list and get it back to us at STW. this will give us time to get things sorted without causing any inconvenience for you.

also, don't be afraid to ask, what ever the question.
craig@STW
craig@STW

Number of posts : 1410
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  andyc Fri 20 Aug 2010, 10:57 am

Hi,

I picked up all my kits in march / april time and am currently about to start the cylinder kit ( progress been very slow of late due to work commitments ). So far everything has fitted very well and any queries i have had have either been answered by reading previous posts or by the willingness of other people on here to share their knowledge. As well as providing information this forum can provide inspiration aswell. The recent pictures of LilyJack's engine have really spurred me back into action and some of the information on lining in the 4" sections have also been excellent.

I checked the contents of all my kits in one go and can confirm it is a mammoth task. All i had missing was a few fixings which Dean / Isobel sent to me within a couple of days. For me the post sales service has been excellent.

One thing you will need to do is to grow some very tiny fingers and a set of BA nut spinners is essential for the tender.

Overall it has been a very enjoyable experience so far but be warned it is addictive. The choice of the next model is already causing problems as i fancy a DCC but the wife is adamant that it will be a foden.

Regards

Andy

andyc

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post  tef 20 Fri 20 Aug 2010, 1:55 pm

I am with your wife on that one Andy Very Happy The Foden C-Type is bloody good fun, the water storage is brilliant and the back is good for people to seat on or for setting your cup of tea on or pint its just a good all round lorry.

Mark
tef 20
tef 20

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Fri 20 Aug 2010, 7:49 pm

Cheers for the words there Andy,
Right well erm, I lit a fire in mine today (Friday afternoon) and was muchly pleased at only a few tiny little leaks here n there (we're talkin nowt to worry about leaks ie : gland packing parts etc) so I'm pretty much chuffed to (insert bad word here).
As for words of wisdom, well I'm about as wise as dog (also insert bad word here) but I'll say this, IF along the way you get stuck for gods sakes either ask on the forum or ring Steve/Dean for advice. Not asking will cause you grief beyond belief and give you worry where it's not needed. There'll more than likely be times when you think "(insert bad word here) sakes is this worth it......??????". Stop, have a beer or a cuppa, go for a tomtit if it makes ya feel better haha, then bugger off back to it n carry on some more. The ONLY part I found utterly soul destroying was building the tender, those poxy nuts n rivets, there's trillions of the bloody things.
So to sum it up, from someone who's JUST finished his engine, take your time, read the instructions WAY before kit building to prep you of what to expect and, IF IN DOUBT ASK!!!!!
One of the best moments is when you offer the tender up to the boiler and slap on the smoke box end as well, the time when it finally starts to look like an engine rather than a cluster of built parts..

Good luck in the build mate..

Best Regards

LilyJack Cool

ps : You may well find yourself making very small mods here n there, changing bolts for slightly larger ones or s/steel ones etc, so what, who cares, it's your engine. Just build it pucka Very Happy

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Frostie Sun 26 Sep 2010, 2:42 am

Thanks for the info guys, I have just stated building mine also so I guess that we will both be scouring through the forum for tips at each stage or kit..

Malcolm
Frostie
Frostie

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2010-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Tue 28 Sep 2010, 6:10 pm

HI OK

HOw can I put this Yes all god advice good luck and I as it has been put just ask....
Lots of help on here I found just look at the posts ...

SO GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN ho yes pashance.
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Frostie Tue 28 Sep 2010, 11:59 pm

Hughb

Thanks for the encouragement, its good to know that lots of you guys who have completed are still monitoring this forum to assist us new builders with known issues. I am not looking forward to fitting the cleading, that seems to have been quite an issue from reading the posts...
It would be good is a few more photos were available showing stages of build from guys.
Has anyone else started building recently ???
I have amassed kits 1 to 13, and have a couple of months off, so hope to have a few months of intensive building.

Malcolm.
Frostie
Frostie

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Wed 29 Sep 2010, 9:41 pm

HI Frostie

The cleading was not the worst bit for me it was haveing to go and get a plaster so maney times Twisted Evil
Just look at some of my pics and you will see the size of my hands Embarassed ,to the tender, Razz

Do post and yes I had the kits 2 to 12 in my shead .BOX,BOXBOX,BOX and so on .
You will find that you will get parts that sit for a while and sudenly all go together and WOW Exclamation
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  Frostie Sat 02 Oct 2010, 9:41 am

Hugh,

I cant find your pics , where are they ???

Malcolm
Frostie
Frostie

Back to top Go down

Post  forge Sat 02 Oct 2010, 10:16 am

i have some photos on the following forum pages.
page 3 of owners photos
page 5 of owners photos
start of my final assembly

if there is anything you wish to see close up let me know and i will post a new photo.

Jon
forge
forge

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Frostie Sat 02 Oct 2010, 10:58 am

Thats brilliant, many thanks for the info, I have been delayed at work (in Egypt) for another couple of weeks and am just bursting to get home and started again. so far I have constructed the front wheels, axle and perch, and just about a third of the way through the smokebox assembly. I have lots more kits ready to move on when thats completed.
Roll on cold Cornwall lol.

Malcolm
Frostie
Frostie

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Sun 03 Oct 2010, 2:17 pm

Frostie wrote:Hugh,

I cant find your pics , where are they ???

Malcolm

Hi All I can do is say look at 2" and you will see my name under the title .AS I do not konw
how to move it all around like forge can do.
Good luck Smile cyclops
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down