Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gear guard

3 posters

Go down

Gear guard Empty Gear guard

Post  hughb Sun 31 Jan 2010, 5:24 pm

Hi All
Well I guess that this may help some one at some point {I hope}.
I had to take off the guard that is over the gears for the 3rd time .IT IS A PAIN...... Sad
But I have solved this by cutting it down a bit ... Smile The best way I find is some pics for
you .So here they are .
Gear guard Cimg3231
This was cut badly with a dremmel drill and then filed and sanded and painted ....
Gear guard Cimg3232
Just put on to see what it is like ....This may help some or not ...

Please tell me what ALL you guys think
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Gear guard Empty Re: Gear guard

Post  tef 20 Sun 31 Jan 2010, 5:35 pm

Hugh i dont think that looks right it should come down around the gears a bit Neutral i take it the guard wouldnt fit over the gears? I would speak to STW about that as it does look wrong plus its an extra place fo some little kid to come a long and jam his finger between the edge of the guard and the top of the gear when on the move!

But it up to you Hugh its your engine and if you think it looks ok then thats all that matters things can sometimes look worse in a picture than they actually are!

Are you sure the diff is in the right place? as if it went in a bit more the gaurd should go on over the gear! just a thought

Mark

Last edited by tef 20 on Sun 31 Jan 2010, 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added a bit more)
tef 20
tef 20

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Sun 31 Jan 2010, 5:52 pm

Hi Mark
Thank for that I did not think that some would put there finger in ???HUM
The guard only comes down parst the top teeth ..Pluss there is another guard to go on ...

I do have them but do not know were they are at the mo ?? Question
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  tef 20 Sun 31 Jan 2010, 6:02 pm

Hugh the other guard will only cover the little drive gear on the end of the diff gear.

But like i said its your engine and if your happy thats all that matters. I thought you had done it because it didnt fit over but as your pm says it fitted fine but now you can slide your gears of without removing the gear guard.

Oh and where is my other picture of the engine as it is now?

Mark
tef 20
tef 20

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Sun 31 Jan 2010, 6:19 pm

tef 20 wrote:
Oh and where is my other picture of the engine as it is now?

Mark

Hi if this is ment to put me off it will not work....AS all the pics of it now is all wobbly.
Have fun and build well ..

HO yes I can bolt a bit on to if as I now guess you are right ...

Thanks hugh
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  tef 20 Sun 31 Jan 2010, 6:34 pm

Not being funny or trying to put you of you said you where going to send me some more pictures a little while ago and you never did!!

Mark
tef 20
tef 20

Back to top Go down

Post  northburrell Wed 03 Feb 2010, 3:44 pm

Hi Hugh,

If it was done for removing the gears with it still on then I dont blame you i've had to take mine off 2 or three times also.. I'm setting up my gear change and gears first then will put it back on and add the reverser later once i'm happy with my gear setup..

My gear gaurd did clash with the gears at first but this was due to the brass counter sunk screws that hold the brass diff lock housing onto the end second shaft. They were not counter sunk that deep and the screw heads sticking out was stopping the inner bevel gear from going fully back/on meaning the diff and gears were sticking out too far.. took the screws out one at a time and added more counter sink to the holes. now the gears fit and the guard misses them.. The only thing needed was some metal taking off a bolt head that holds the tender on as it was hitting the brake drum on the diff/gears.

Jo

northburrell

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Thu 04 Feb 2010, 8:03 pm

northburrell wrote:Hi Hugh,

If it was done for removing the gears with it still on then I dont blame you i've had to take mine off 2 or three times also.. I'm setting up my gear change and gears first then will put it back on and add the reverser later once i'm happy with my gear setup..

Jo

HI Jo

Yes this is the reason I not only use up time on my engine but also plasters .BUT love it Very Happy
Pluss I have not yet run on air at all yet but soon I hope .
WELL DONE TO YOU Smile Cool
Hugh
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down