Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glueing tyres to rims

3 posters

Go down

Glueing tyres to rims Empty Glueing tyres to rims

Post  Tatsy Mon 24 Jun 2024, 9:31 am

I everyone
Looking at purchasing my new 2” Burrell in next couple of weeks, which is the best glue to fix the tyres to the rims.
Thanks
S taylor

Tatsy

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2024-06-18

Back to top Go down

Glueing tyres to rims Empty Re: Glueing tyres to rims

Post  Simon C Mon 24 Jun 2024, 7:32 pm

Hello Tatsy

Tatsy wrote:I everyone
Looking at purchasing my new 2” Burrell in next couple of weeks, which is the best glue to fix the tyres to the rims.
Thanks
S taylor

If you are purchasing straight from STW new then the tyres are already vulcanised onto the rims so they don't require gluing.
If you are going down the rout of gluing them on yourself then the recommended weapon of choice was Isoflex Liquid rubber. (A Roofing Goop)
You first glue the rubber profile into a ring slightly smaller than the outside of the rim, using a rubber rated super glue.
The tyre can then be stretched over the rim after coating it with the Isoflex.
It is a very messy job by all accounts and might require an extension on your swear box.
This will all be covered in the instruction pack that comes with the first wheel Kit.

Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulB Mon 24 Jun 2024, 11:54 pm

Cut your rubber at least an inch shorter than the circumference of your wheel and stick the ends together with industrial strength super glue.
dry fit the tyre onto the wheel then push a large screwdriver between the tyre and the rim. Roll the screwdriver around the wheel rim squirting marine mastic or Isoflex into the gap behind the screwdriver.
Wear gloves and don't do it on the kitchen table as the mastic gets everywhere!
I used this method on my 3" Little Samson and have had no problems in the last 4 years.

PaulB

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2022-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down