Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transfer plate

3 posters

Go down

Transfer plate Empty Transfer plate

Post  Peter95 Thu 02 Mar 2023, 9:25 pm

Advice please on transfer Port plate,
Having trouble with steam leaking into cylinders with regulator closed, both regulator valve and starting valve have been checked, I've been informed that the transfer Port plate can bend and leak under the cylinder block, is this a common fault and what parts are needed to rectify, thanks peter

Peter95

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2023-03-02

Back to top Go down

Transfer plate Empty Re: Transfer plate

Post  Capricorn1 Mon 17 Apr 2023, 8:45 pm

Unlikely that the blanking plate can actually bend, you will need to remove the cylinder block from the boiler, remove the plate and look for signs that steam has been leaking past the gasket, clean up the faces and the fit with a new gasket and a thin smear of steam seal joining paste. If you have shortened the cylinder block studs after fitting the block you may not be able to fit double nuts to remove the studs and may have to use vice grips / mole grips and replace the studs once you get them all out. Good luck.

Capricorn1

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2013-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Thunderbolt Tue 02 May 2023, 8:47 pm

Hi Peter,

i have had the same issue with my engine. The original 3mm thick plate distorted which meant the steam blew through. So i had to take the cylinder block and plate off and make a new 4mm plate out of stainless and i used a thin 0.8mm gasket with hylomer blue which has worked well
Thunderbolt
Thunderbolt

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2021-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down