Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting new boiler

4 posters

Go down

Fitting new boiler  Empty Fitting new boiler

Post  Pacman Fri 06 Aug 2021, 5:03 pm

Hi has anyone know if it’s possible to fit a new S.T.W. boiler into a Modelworks likamobile
Thanks Paul

Pacman

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2021-08-06

Back to top Go down

Fitting new boiler  Empty Re: Fitting new boiler

Post  Grier Fri 06 Aug 2021, 5:35 pm

Can’t say for sure, but for the series 2 the distance between the two water tanks is about 17.75 inches. It looks like the boiler is 16 inches in diameter giving 1.75 inches to fit in a platform bracket to support the boiler and room for cladding. Hope this helps.

Grier

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-05-15

Goliewogs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Goliewogs Sat 07 Aug 2021, 9:43 am

Hi, I asked the same question a few years ago and was told it was impossible mostly as all the dimensions, mostly the chassis and fittings had changed from Mk1 to Mk2. The boilert supports are also completely different so since the boiler in the Mk2 is a different shape and bigger I think the answer is a resounding No I'm sorry to say!
Kind regards
Greg

Goliewogs

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2016-03-28

Back to top Go down

Fitting new boiler  Empty lika

Post  jjtjr Fri 20 Aug 2021, 11:48 am

If you look at some early posts On the series 1 and 2. There was a guy that had a series 1 and installed a series 2 boiler in it, but he had to make the car wider I don't remember by how much. The other thing is to have a boiler made that would fit the series 1. The mounting brackets could be made to make it work.
jjtjr
jjtjr

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Back to top Go down

Fitting new boiler  Empty boiler

Post  jjtjr Fri 20 Aug 2021, 12:07 pm

There are other types of boiler that would also work but all have to be fabricated.  One that comes to mind is the Ofeldt  This was used as a replacement for a Stanley type. It could be made with a steel main drum and copper coils. If you look at the bottom right corner you will see the wood former for the copper coils
Fitting new boiler  Scan0010
jjtjr
jjtjr

Back to top Go down

Post  Pacman Fri 20 Aug 2021, 1:08 pm

Thank guys for your help. Waiting for Dean to give the price on series 2 boiler he said that the new chassis is 2” wide than series 1 hopefully I can widen the chassis to fit. I have found a company that makes the original locomobile boiler and other vertical tube boilers. They can offer two different size boilers for that vehicle. Will know size and price next week.
Thanks Paul

Pacman

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2021-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  jjtjr Sat 13 Nov 2021, 1:29 pm

You can have a stanley type boiler made smaller that will fit in the series 1 car. When it comes time to replace mine thats what i will be doing. The mounting brackets can be made to fit the new boiler. I don't know if burton boiler works builds smaller boilers but its worth a call to them. It would be a lot easier then making the car wider.
jjtjr
jjtjr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down