Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting boiler to the 4 1/2 inch Foden SWB chassis

4 posters

Go down

Fitting boiler to the 4 1/2 inch Foden SWB chassis Empty Fitting boiler to the 4 1/2 inch Foden SWB chassis

Post  Old Down Trevor Sat 22 Nov 2014, 6:52 pm

I am just about to try fitting the boiler into the chassis but already I can foresee a problem. The front left hand side of the fire box will foul with the extreme end of the steering box fixed crank arm- I think it is also likely that the close proximity of  the fire box front LHS side to the steering mechanism will cause further problems when the steering is moved.

Has anybody else encountered this problem? What did you do to get over it?

Many thanks

Old Down Trevor

Old Down Trevor

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2014-01-09

Back to top Go down

Fitting boiler to the 4 1/2 inch Foden SWB chassis Empty Re: Fitting boiler to the 4 1/2 inch Foden SWB chassis

Post  mikero Sat 22 Nov 2014, 8:14 pm

I took the steering off completely to fit the boiler. The crank arm was later 'adjusted' with an angle grinder to clear the corner of the firebox better. The steering will have to come off to fit the water pump and chain anyway.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Fitting boiler to the 4 1/2 inch Foden SWB chassis Empty Re: Fitting boiler to the 4 1/2 inch Foden SWB chassis

Post  Old Down Trevor Mon 24 Nov 2014, 9:05 pm

Many thanks Mike- at least I am not alone!!!

Old Down Trevor

Back to top Go down

Post  hartshaulage Mon 24 Nov 2014, 9:38 pm

Hi Mike

Would you be able to post a picture of your mod tot he steering linkage so us that haven't received it yet can see roughly what will need to be changed

Thanks Russ
hartshaulage
hartshaulage

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2014-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Down Trevor Tue 25 Nov 2014, 7:46 pm

Hello Folks- I have spoken to Ian at STW today ( Steve was on his hols) Ian says that the problem can also be solved by moving the steering box 3mm forwards- this will require the steering column support to be modified but apparently this will only need some spacer washers.
I will be able to check this out in next week or so- will report what I find.
Trevor

Old Down Trevor

Back to top Go down

Post  hartshaulage Tue 25 Nov 2014, 9:43 pm

Thanks for that Trevor. I look forward to your results, I think the boiler should really be supplied very early on like when the foden is a rolling chassis that way people wont be painting parts to then find much later they need to be modified so have to be repainted or sent back to STW

Russ
hartshaulage
hartshaulage

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Tue 25 Nov 2014, 10:15 pm

I will be taking the panels off in the next few weeks to do the boiler lagging so I will take a couple of photos then Russ. Mind you there is no guarantee all our engines are going to be the same, I drilled my own holes for the steering box as they were missing when I got the kit.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post  hartshaulage Tue 25 Nov 2014, 10:25 pm

Thank you Mike, No no two model will be alike but to see others mods gives you an idea of what could be done if other builders get in difficulty

Russ
hartshaulage
hartshaulage

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Wed 26 Nov 2014, 12:20 pm

Hi Russ,

Totally understand what you are saying about the boiler etc however not everyone is as honest as you so it's just not viable. Believe it or not we have had a number of occasions where we've supplied the boiler earlier than planned and then that customer has then stopped taking the balance of kits and decided to do the rest themselves....something we DO NOT agree with and despite chasing then have little or no means of reinforcing.

The way we do it means we have at least been paid for half the engine when you receive the most expensive item with in the build.

Bear in mind the cost of a 'machined' boiler from another supplier, ready to drop horn plates etc straight on would be much more than three kit payments we receive plus there would be maybe a 12 month wait from the likes of Bell boilers for example. You can see how some one wanting to 'part' scratch build an engine might then want to take advantage of the situation.

All the best

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  hartshaulage Wed 26 Nov 2014, 1:28 pm

Thank You for your reply Dean, I completely understand where your coming from I apologies if i have offended any one sometimes i don't quite word things as good as i think the idea

Russ
hartshaulage
hartshaulage

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Down Trevor Mon 08 Dec 2014, 7:54 pm

Hello- I have examined the problem of the foul between the steering box and the front LH side of the boiler. As mentioned in my previous posting Ian said that the problem could be solved by moving the box forwards about 3mm. My trials have confirmed this but I didn't like the idea of drilling new 1/2 holes so I have opted for the "grind it away" solution- there isn't much to take off but it does mean a bit of a repaint of an already nicely painted part!! If I knew how to upload photos I could share the solution with you.

Old Down Trevor

Old Down Trevor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down