Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just a small hint

2 posters

Go down

Just a small hint Empty Just a small hint

Post  elwood-59 Tue 17 Mar 2020, 5:17 pm

To whom it may concern
Or whoever is just building his engine....

Please be aware the parts are manufactured to close tolerances. Think ahead and try to anticipate what part A might need to fit to subassembly X which might be delivered at a later time. Namely the paint and thickness thereof might get you into trouble. I know as I was just trying to mount steering onto Pied Piper.
Problem A: the paint in the bracket prevented the LH and RH chain shaft housing to sit into the bore in the steering bracket as part of the belly tank. With a flap wheel in the cordless drill I could sort that.
But
Problem B the paint on the mating surfaces of chain shaft housing and bracket lead to the chain shaft being to short, so the worm wheel does not fully seat on the chain shaft, and in turn binds with the worm gear (which was running great on the workbench...)
At this moment I think of either removing the LH and RH housings again and try to remove more paint to get them closer together or to shorten the flange on the worm wheel accordingly. Neither is a pleasant idea.

Conclusion:
All of that I could have avoided by test-fitting the steering shaft to the belly tank while it was still laying on the workbench without paint and internal sealing. Could have adjusted the brackets and see where NOT to paint or at least sparsingly.

So if you are not (yet) at that point please be aware. The fit and tolerances of the kits, good as they are!, sometimes might give you trouble unless prepared.

Cheers

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Back to top Go down

Just a small hint Empty Re: Just a small hint

Post  lynnr Tue 17 Mar 2020, 5:34 pm

Well said Elwood.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Just a small hint Empty and another one

Post  elwood-59 Thu 19 Mar 2020, 12:41 pm

Hi,

When in a tight spot, as I was above, don‘t force it. Call it a day ans walk away. I‘ve done more damage to things because I wanted to force my way though („it has to work“) than anything else. Sit back, have a coffee, tea or beer, depending on the content of your fridge and your mindset. But whatever you do STOP-
Let your mind wander, talk to your companion (with two or four legs) and forget about the issue for a moment. After some time your mind will start to look at the problem by itself and a solution will jump at you, mostly from a completely unexpected corner.
For me that happened while I was about to fall asleep last night.
Remember: position of work wheel and worm gear shifted due to paint (too much of it)?
No, the position is based only on the LH steering bracket. And as I had that part blackened only, there was no paint. I removed the bracket and gear again and confirmed free movement with the parts laying on the workbench. It turned out just to be a misalignment between bracket steering shaft and top steering housing. After sorting that the parts fit nicely, snug, but nicely. So tempest in a teaspoon.
Yes, the depth of the steering shaft is altered by the beforementioned paint, but a small washer easily took care of it.

Conclusion. Sometimes your idea and imagination will lead you astray, sit back and wait and a solution will come to you. Else ask here in forum. Good thing is that most, if not all, issues you might have others have faced already before and have found a solution or workaround.
Enough preaching, sorry for that.

Cheers

ELwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Back to top Go down

Just a small hint Empty Re: Just a small hint

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down