Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good oil additive

4 posters

Go down

Good oil additive Empty Good oil additive

Post  Steve Traill Mon 06 Aug 2012, 10:23 pm

I thought I would add this here as it doesn't fit anywhere else! I bought a 'wonder gunge' oil additive a couple of months back from a 4x4 show I went too. It is called 'Activ8' and if you google it up there's a test video of it being added to a good oil & the difference it made. I actually carried out the same test as on the video & can confirm it is amazing in it's ability to reduce friction. Now I'm pretty sceptical of all these wonder gunges but even I parted with 70 quidlets for a litre of the stuff as I was so impressed with the demo. My thinking was to stick some in my old Landrover (Series III with a 200tdi engine) to try & quieten it down a bit, sound proofing not being a priority when Landrover built Series vehicles. Also I thought it would do the fairly crude (but tough) engineering a bit of good. Half a litre was all it needed to sort the engine, gearbox, axles, transferbox & overdrive. Almost immediately I noticed a big drop in the general din especially at it's cruising speed of about 55 - 60 mph. I can actually converse with a passenger & hear the radio! Wow I thought, I'll stick some in my oil can for the SC Burrell engine as it offers protection when there's no oil which has to be a good thing. Over the weekend at Boconnoc the engine was in steam on the Friday for 12 hours solid (9am to 9pm) & I have to say it's running sweeter now than ever & I don't worry so much about one of the oil pots running empty. It's not cheap but I can't fault it, it does what it says on the ........ plastic bottle! I wouldn't use it on a new engine as you need to run everything in but for it's second season I can recomend it wholeheartedly. sunny
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Good oil additive Empty Re: Good oil additive

Post  chrisnchrisroberts Mon 06 Aug 2012, 10:54 pm

I googled activ8 and came up with everything else but activ8. Then I googled "activ8 oil additive" and up it came. Looks like it is only sold in UK at the moment so I will have to buy it online.

chrisnchrisroberts

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Good oil additive Empty small quantities

Post  Steve Traill Tue 07 Aug 2012, 6:36 pm

They do sell it in smaller quantities & for a miniature engine you won't need much. I bought a litre of the stuff as I mixed it with the 30 odd pints of oil in a Landrover & then I only used 1/2 a litre.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Wed 08 Aug 2012, 8:03 am

I've ordered a litre, to be used as you have Steve, in my Defender 300TDi & Tracion engines & also I might chuck some in the car too!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wed 08 Aug 2012, 6:43 pm

hi i use it and still do i uesed it a v6 essex engin that i ran in landrover for off roading which had big end troble so put it in we try to size it as no oil presure no water left it runing at 6000 rpm to it stop when it to cool down started up drove home uesed it load of time offroading drive there ply all day drive home with oil light on the gage reading 0 but still went nether did get it to die but rattly like hell we even emty oil out water out to kill it but it still got me home you can add to greaes to put in wheel bearings
Richard
Richard

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2011-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down