Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Compression vs flair fittings

2 posters

Go down

Compression vs flair fittings Empty Compression vs flair fittings

Post  jjtjr Tue 11 Feb 2020, 1:22 am

One other item worth talking about is the car comes with compression fittings what i found is they will leak after a while. This is what happens you tighten them the car flex's the copper works then they start to leak again so you tighten again, then the back of the compression nut starts to distorts then you can't tighten them because the nut is no good any more. The best fix is replace all compression fittings with flair type since I've done it no more leaks. Flair type fittings are used in high vibration areas like brake lines, you can also double flair.
jjtjr
jjtjr

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Back to top Go down

Compression vs flair fittings Empty Re: Compression vs flair fittings

Post  Will@STW Tue 11 Feb 2020, 11:04 am

jjtjr wrote:One other item worth talking about is the car comes with compression fittings what i found is they will leak after a while. This is what happens you tighten them the car flex's  the copper works then they start to leak again so you tighten again, then the back of the compression nut starts to distorts then you can't tighten them because the nut is no good any more.  The best fix is replace all compression fittings with flair type since I've done it no more leaks.   Flair type fittings are used in high vibration areas like brake lines,  you can also double flair.

Hi jjtjr

Way ahead of you. This is indeed what we have done with the new design, there are now no compression fittings on the car, they have all been switched to flare fittings

Many thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2019-01-29

Back to top Go down