Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cylinder fitting

+4
highpressure
lynnr
Rickster
MrStationHouse
8 posters

Go down

Cylinder fitting Empty Cylinder fitting

Post  MrStationHouse Fri 21 Dec 2012, 10:44 pm

I am planning my Christmas workshop time, I have the cylinder and the fittings kit and have two thoughts.

First of all, the studs. Some people have left them at full height others are flush with the nuts. Those whose are flush, did you cut each one?

Secondly, it would seem a good idea to fit the pistons etc whilst it is on the bench. Can anyone see a reason why this can't be done?

All the best to you all

Simon

MrStationHouse

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Cylinder fitting Empty Re: Cylinder fitting

Post  Rickster Fri 21 Dec 2012, 10:51 pm

Hi Simon,

I can't see any reason why you couldn't fit the pistons on the bench but it could encourage a bit of rough handling if the block has to go and come off a few times, as mine had too. It's easier to get hold of the block through the bores empty and your wouldn't be tempted to grab the piston rods by accident if you get caught off balance as it were.

I cut off each stud in turn after it a few days of torqueing up the nuts as the foliac squeezed out. Then dremmelled each one to round and smooth them off. It's a bit of a bind to do but not difficult - just takes time.

Rick

Rickster

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Fri 21 Dec 2012, 10:57 pm

Defo. Leave the pistons etc/off is thinks are heavy enough and as said above no temptation to grab something that could bend or bite!
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse Sat 22 Dec 2012, 8:10 am

Thankyou both, the weight and handling issue seems to tip the balance in favour of assembly on the engine itself.

All the best and Lynn hope you are managing to cope with the non-steaming withdrawal symptoms!

Simon

MrStationHouse

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sat 22 Dec 2012, 8:15 am

Hi Simon.

Yes just about coping with out steam. Tempered by the -5 current weekly average night time temps. A draw back of living in the far north.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Sat 22 Dec 2012, 10:29 am

I was disscussing the fitting pistons issue with The Coleman yesterday as he has reached that stage, as I said to him mine only went in with the piston rings in April this year once I was sure they wouldnt need to come out. As Lynn will confirm it can be a right pig of a job if you need to take them out and the rings are on and there is no need to fit them till you are certain that they can stay in. As they can be easily screwed into the crossheads at any time that could feasibly be the morning of the first steaming!!! if you wanted to be really cautious. There is no point in making things more difficult than they really need to be. You can align all the slide bar and crosshead arrangment without them having the rings on.

Andy will also confirm that we didnt fit the crank properly until after the water pump had arrived as again there is no need to make the already restricted working space more tight although as others will happily confirm the pump can be fitted with the crank insitu but again lets make life easy Smile
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster Sat 22 Dec 2012, 11:38 am

I set up my slidebars without the piston rings on, makes it much easier to set the crossheads to slide smoothly.

With the rings on there is a lot more friction to overcome so impossible to tell if its a slidebar too tight or its just the rings.

Worked for me

Hope that helps

Kev
Kevster
Kevster

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sat 22 Dec 2012, 11:44 am

Thanks for the tips, I like an easy life and if things can be fitted and removed the minimum number of times it reduces the risk of damage.....saving more time.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Cylinder fitting Empty Cylinder fittings

Post  tractor mike Sun 30 Dec 2012, 10:42 am

When fitting the cylinder to the boiler do u use both gaskets or just 1, is 1 a spare? Merry Xmas to everybody Very Happy
tractor mike
tractor mike

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Sun 30 Dec 2012, 10:51 am

Mike,
As far as I remember, you use two gaskets, I know I certainly did!........... Cover both sides of each gasket & boiler & cylinder surfaces with foliac & bolt it all up.
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sun 30 Dec 2012, 10:51 am

Use both with a good even layer of gunk between
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Cylinder fitting Empty Cylinder fitting

Post  tractor mike Sun 30 Dec 2012, 10:56 am

That's great I can get on and do that this morning, that's 1 good thing with this forum it don't take long for a good answer from some good people, thanx again and merry xmas Very Happy
tractor mike
tractor mike

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down