Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Planned schedule for the next few kits

+3
Rickster
Steam Traction World
highpressure
7 posters

Go down

Planned schedule for the next few kits Empty Planned schedule for the next few kits

Post  highpressure Tue 05 Oct 2010, 5:27 pm

Hi Steve Dean and Craig,

Just wondered what the current planning is for the next few kits as I know you have the boiler barrells in and are still running through the cylinder casting? Are you hoping to catch up the lost months at some point? I make it we're about 3 months behind. This is not a push just curious and looking at budget in case you decide to do the boiler and offer it all in one go to pick up the time frame.

Cheers Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Planned schedule for the next few kits Empty Re: Planned schedule for the next few kits

Post  Steam Traction World Wed 06 Oct 2010, 3:29 pm

Hi Kevin,

It’s so difficult to accurately plan and schedule future kit deliveries because there are so many things that happen that are beyond our control. For example, we had a second batch of boiler tube delivered to the laser cutters around mid August. We’re still waiting for the cut tube to be delivered to us due to their quite specialized cutter breaking down. The order was placed for the cylinder block castings in April and we’re still working with the foundry to produce the first acceptable casting. We had originally planned for the cylinders to be delivered to us in October; it’s more likely that the first delivery to us won’t be until November! We’ve also now decided to fully machine a very small batch of these before we ask the foundry to produce our full production requirements.

Having said all that, we can tell you what we know at the moment:

All the boiler plate has now been delivered to the laser cutters and we should take delivery of the cut plates this month. Upon which we will start all the weld preparations and start drilling the boiler barrels. We would hope that the first batch of boilers should be completed and signed off in January.

We should take delivery of the kit 8 (tender accessories) castings in early November. We have already completed many of the non cast items.

Kit 10 (crank bearing, 2nd shaft and axle housings) castings should be delivered by early December.

We have already placed the casting orders for the Steering (Kit 18), Crankshaft (Kit 19) and Weighshaft Bracket (Kit 20).

Drawings for the Dynamo castings on the Showmans are out for tender and we have just placed the order for the Dynamo Extension Name Plate.

So in answer to your question:

October Kit 06 Boiler deposit
November Kit 08 Tender Accessories
December Kit 10 Main Bearings
January Kit 11/12 Cylinder Block
Kit 14/15 Boilers (1st Batch 10)
February Kit 13 Cylinder Components
Kit 14/15 Boilers (2nd Batch 10)

So theoretically we should go through 8 kits in the next 5 months.

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Planned schedule for the next few kits Empty Kit 17 Fittings

Post  Rickster Sun 10 Oct 2010, 9:00 pm

Hi Steve/Dean,

Is there any further news on the arrival of parts still pending for kit 17 ?

cheers

Rick

Rickster

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Planned schedule for the next few kits Empty Re: Planned schedule for the next few kits

Post  Steam Traction World Mon 11 Oct 2010, 10:35 am

Hi Rick

I should get the first samples late this week or early next. As soon as these are approved I should be able to give you a realistic delivery date.

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Planned schedule for the next few kits Empty Planned schedule for the next few kits

Post  eng14110 Sat 12 Feb 2011, 6:43 pm

Hi Dean,Steve,Craig,
Any chance of an update on what kits we can expect in the near future ? The previous
schedule seems to have gone "out the window!! "

Colin
eng14110
eng14110

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Thu 17 Feb 2011, 8:25 am

Hi everyone.

I'm working on publishing a new schedule in the next day or so. I've contacted all the appropriate suppliers and have asked them to up date their anticipated supply dates.

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Wed 23 Feb 2011, 12:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I promised an update on the DCC production which is shown below. The dates shown have now all be confirmed by our suppliers, so this represents the best information we have.

Some of you will already know that we are in the process of planning a factory move into our own premises (still in Daventry). Exchange of contracts is imminent and we are currently planning the move itself. Anyone who has visited our factory will understand what a huge undertaking this will be!! We intend to run the two factories in parallel for a while so we minimize production loss but of course this cannot be eliminated completely. We will post details of the move as details become available, but keep your diaries free because we’ll be looking for volunteers to help with the move and we’re planning what we hope will be quite a spectacular opening event, hopefully in May.

Production Schedule for 4” Scale Road Loco & Showmans as at 16th Feb 2011

Kit 11/12 Cylinder Block

Four good castings received so far. Now casting them at 4/5 per week with a high success rate in terms of the visual integrity of each casting. The moulding of this component is critical and the foundry only has one person with the necessary skills to do this to our satisfaction. This represents a clear vulnerability if he’s taken sick or is allowed to take any holidays. The foundry is well aware of the importance of this item to us.

We will commence machining of the block once we have received 20 which are expected to be towards the end of March. We anticipate completing two further batches of 20 each as soon as castings are available.

The first delivery of machined cylinder block to our customer will be April 2011.

Kit 13 Cylinder Components.

There are no castings used with this kit. Long lead time items in this kit are the piston rings and nameplate etchings. Piston rings will be ordered early March. Etchings will be left until the steam chest covers are made to ensure fit and supplied with a later kit.

Production will start following completion of the first cylinder batch.

Kit 14/15 Boiler

First batch of 10 has been completed and certified. Further batches of 10 are planned every six weeks.

A customer suggested that we should supply the firedoor with this kit because it’s far easier to fit before the hornplates are attached. Material has been delivered.

Kit 16 Ashpan & Cladding

Production can now start following completion of the first boiler batch. There are no castings used in this kit. Delivery can commence late April 2011.

Kit 17 Belly Tank

Completed.

Kit 18 Steering

The steering worm and wheel were ordered in September. Samples were received and approved in December 2010. Delivery is anticipated in March. Other castings were ordered at the same time but delivery is not expected until late April.

We had to order additional steam head castings for our single cylinder Burrell. This is the same casting as will be used on the DCC so we took the opportunity to order sufficient for this as well. Delivery is expected end of April 2011.

Kit 19 Crankshaft

Ordered in June 2010. Casting samples have been approved. These items are precision ground which has been sub-contracted. Completed cranks are expected June 2011.

Kit 20 Weighshaft

The weighshaft bracket casting was ordered at the same time as the crank, however we put it on hold until we were confident about the cylinder production. Just incase changes were necessary. Expected delivery is now June 2011.

Kit 21 Valve Gear

Eccentric strap castings were ordered in November 2010. Due in June 2011.

Kit 22 Crank & 2nd Shaft Gears

Ordered November 2010, samples due in March, delivery expected July 2011.

Kit 23 Final Drive & Diff

Ordered December 2010, samples expected April, delivery due in August 2011.

Kit 32 Dynamo

Ordered November 2010, samples due in March, delivery expected July 2011.

Kit 24 onwards

Drawings for cast items will be issued to our suppliers for quotation progressively. Most of this should be completed during March. Most cast items have been dealt with but there are still a few major ones to sort, such as the flywheel, water pump and the exciter dynamo.

Regards

Steve & Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Planned schedule for the next few kits Empty Showmans kits

Post  Tony King Wed 23 Feb 2011, 9:01 pm

Hi Steve & Dean,
Have you got a pile of the generator extensions in stock as yet, or is there only the one I saw on your control model?
Would be nice to get them on the smoke box & paint as a complete unit!!
Got to agree with other comments on the web site, The rolling chassis looks very impressive, & fits together with an accuracy second to none!!
Those cylinder castings must be about the biggest challenge on the engine, if you can get them under your belt I reackon you'll be home & dry!!
Thanks for your time when I collected the boiler.
Not sure if I'll be able to come down to help with the move to new factory unit, it may not tie up with school hols up here, but would love to help out if I can.
Kind regards
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Thu 24 Feb 2011, 4:30 am

i'm only a few junctions down the motorway so expect some young muscle to be available when you move.

I also have a twin axle trailer which if you wish to borrow to save on trips to and from the sites can be brought up to you too.

regards

Nick

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Thu 24 Feb 2011, 1:39 pm

Nick, you working nights???? Sleep
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Thu 24 Feb 2011, 2:27 pm

Actually I'm working a day buy I do work nights too. Crazy I know.

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down