Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PIPE CLAMPS AND STEERING CHAINS

+6
TonyT
Big Al
LilyJack
Vapor
greystones
BUNGLE
10 posters

Go down

PIPE CLAMPS AND STEERING CHAINS Empty PIPE CLAMPS AND STEERING CHAINS

Post  BUNGLE Mon 24 Aug 2009, 11:42 pm

HI GUYS, AS WE HAVE/ARE NOW PUTTING IN THE PIPEWORK, CAN I ASK WHEN WILL WE BE GETTING THE 'TOP' HALFS OF THE CLAMPS, AND INDEED THE WHOLE CLAMP FO THE GEAR SIDE WHERE THE PIPES PASS FROM THE OUTSIDE OF THE TENDER TO THE INSIDE ??

ALSO THE SAGA OF THE STEERING CHAINS SEEMS TO BE GOING ON FOR A LONG TIME, WHAT IS THE LASTEST NEWS ON THAT FRONT - WE COULD HAVE FINISHED ENGINES AND NO WAY OF STEERING THEM !!!

REGARDS
BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

PIPE CLAMPS AND STEERING CHAINS Empty PIPES and CLAMPS

Post  greystones Tue 25 Aug 2009, 9:57 am

Hi Bungle, I can understand that many of you 2 inch builders want to finish your engines , but will you bear in mind that some of us 4 inch Foden builders are in the same position. We got our first kit in February 2006 thats 41 months ago. We are only too thankfull that Dean & Steve bought out the now defunct ModelWorks and have conitued to support us. We could have been left with half built kits. They were under no obligation to continue supplying the rest of the kits to us and could have walked away. There seems to be a thread running on the forum by the 2 inch builders winging whenever something is late or not resolved immediatly. Wether you like it or not there are other kits being built and also want there parts yesterday. Come on be fair give Steve & Dean a chance to keep everyone happy lets COOL IT Mike
greystones
greystones

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-06-16

http://greystonesholidays.co.uk

Back to top Go down

PIPE CLAMPS AND STEERING CHAINS Empty Re: PIPE CLAMPS AND STEERING CHAINS

Post  BUNGLE Tue 25 Aug 2009, 2:02 pm

JUST HOLD ON THERE GREYSTONES, THERE WAS NO 'WINGING' GOING ON IN MY QUESTION, IT WAS JUST A SIMPLE QUESTION, WE HAVE SOME PIPE WORK WE CAN'T CLAMP AT THE MOMENT AND I WONDERED WHICH KIT THE CLAMPS WOULD COME IN, AS IT WILL BECOME MORE DIFFERCULT AS TIME GOES ON TO FIT THEM. THE STEERING CHAIN ISSUE IS SOMETHING I AND OTHERS HAVE SPOKEN TO STEVE DIRECTLY ABOUT OVER A PERIOD OF TIME, AND WONDERED WHAT THE LATEST SITUATION WAS. I ASKED VIA THE FORUM SO THAT ALLTHE 2" BUILDERS COULD BE KEPT UP TO SPEED AS IT WERE.

AS FOR THE 2" FORUM HAVING ALOT OF MOANING ON IT, ARE YOU SURE YOUR READING THE SAME ONE THAT THE REST OF US ARE ??????? THERES NORMALLY A FAIR AMOUNT OF BANTER BETWEEN US 2" BUILDERS, AND ALOT OF HELP AND SUGGESTIONS SHOULD A PROBLEM ARISE.

I WOULD SUGGEST THAT IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE 2" FORUM, THE SIMPLE ANSWER IS DON'T READ IT !!

I WOULD ALSO SUGGEST THAT YOU PULL YOUR HEAD BACK IN, WITH REGARDS TO STEVE AND DEAN, US 2" BUILDERS, AND BY THE SOUNDS OF YOU, LIFE IN GENERAL.

VERY PISSED OFF
BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Back to top Go down

PIPE CLAMPS AND STEERING CHAINS Empty PIPES & CLAMPS

Post  greystones Tue 25 Aug 2009, 3:08 pm

Bungle. Your talking to a Yorkshireman not a southerner we see things as they are . The truth hurts ..... so it would seem. End of subject Mike
greystones
greystones

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-06-16

http://greystonesholidays.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Tue 25 Aug 2009, 3:09 pm

Ooooh!!
Vapor
Vapor

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Tue 25 Aug 2009, 3:12 pm

Yorkshire,

Where men are men and sheep are frightened Laughing
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Tue 25 Aug 2009, 3:30 pm

Thanks Ian, i will be speaking to the guys about this idiot, can't today they are in norwich, might call Steve tonite when hes home.

Bungle

BUNGLE

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Tue 25 Aug 2009, 3:47 pm

How do Bungle,

Nice to see everyone gettin on well Shocked
I'm uncertain as to whats what with chains for these engines BUT, I happened across one of our supply catalogues at work and found a section on link chain WITH metric measurements of the link sizes, have made a note of the page number n whatnot so if you want to know more, give us a shout and I'll get more info for you mate..
I know that DOESNT answer the question as to STW's not having an input to this but just took the opinion meself that if they can't source any chain then I'll get it myself. No great shakes to me either way..

Right then, assuming your memories as crap as mine, I make NO joke of this next statement. I AM OFF WORK FOR 12 DAYS, GETTIN 3 KITS TOMOZ AND NOW AM GONNA GET PISSED FOR THE EVENING SO CHEERS CHAP N HOPE THE HANDS ORIGHT!!! Very Happy

Regards

Soft Southerner LilyJack Cool

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Tue 25 Aug 2009, 3:55 pm

Hi All

I spoke to Isobel the other day re these bits and she spoke to Steve/Dean and the answer was in relation to the steering chain that they have possibly sourced another supplier and will check to see if it is suitable so something should happen soon.

There are other outstanding bits such as the Brake parts from Kit 8, Brake Bands and Blocks from Kit 18, pipe clamp halves will all be supplied in the next kit (23) I assume the clack and pump handles will be included as well

I noted a bracket missing from Kit 20 that was to follow, but can't remember what that referred to!

Big Al

Big Al

Number of posts : 147

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Tue 25 Aug 2009, 7:29 pm

THANKS FOR THE UPDATES GUYS, NICE TO SEE US ALL HELPING EACH OTHER WITH INFO, ETC.

APPARENTLY IN YORKSHIRE THIS IS KNOWN AS 'WINGING', BY SOME IDIOTS Evil or Very Mad

REGARDS
BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyT Tue 25 Aug 2009, 9:31 pm

Well,this is a good one isn't it!

Bungle,I agree with what you've said about the steering chains,this is an on going issue and probably one the guys wish too get sorted,amongst everything else at the moment.I myself have been asking about the diff and gears as we can't complete stages without these.Good to hear they will be out at the end of the week Very Happy

As for winging by the 2" owners,the Foden owners may wish to look at their forum.Shouldn't be too hard to find a comment or 2 that aren't positive.I like to think we are a constructive bunch who like to share our experiences of building with other's,or should I take off my rose tinted glasses! I know I've made a few negative comments in the past,and so have others,but isn't that what a forum should for?Not just to kiss each others asses!

Anyhow thats my thoughts for what their worth

cheer's Tony

Last edited by TonyT on Tue 25 Aug 2009, 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
TonyT
TonyT

Number of posts : 134

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Tue 25 Aug 2009, 9:48 pm

THANKS FOR THAT TONY, LEAST WE ALL KNOW WE ARE NOT 'WINGING' Very Happy

REGARDS
BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Back to top Go down

Post  tef 20 Tue 25 Aug 2009, 10:02 pm

First ofall i think Steve and Dean are doing a great job of keeping everyone happy in all the scale models they are producing which isnt an easy task i bet Steve spends more time ansearing emails and pm's then getting on with his work but then he is trying to keep every one happy.

Secondly Bungle i dont agree with you calling people idiots at no point was Mike making it personal to you yet you feel the need to call him an idiot on a forum everyone reads including potential customers and i think the 2" scale forum has been very positive until now so lets not ruin it by make comments about one another and stick to what is important STEAM ENGINES Very Happy

Mark
tef 20
tef 20

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Wed 26 Aug 2009, 12:21 am

tef 20, I WHOLE HEARTLY AGREE THAT STEVE AND DEAN ARE DOING A GREAT JOB, I HAVE NEVER SAID ANYTHING DIFFERENT TO THAT, IN THE PAST STEVE HAS EVEN CALLED ME TO ASK FOR FEEDBACK, HE KNOWS I WILL SAY IT HOW I SEE IT. NONE OF THAT OR GREYSTONE COMMENTS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH ME ASKING A SIMPLE QUESTION ON BEHALF OF THE 2" BULIDERS. AND I BELEIVE HE WAS MAKING IT PERSONNEL TO ALLTHE 2" BUILDERS BY SAYING WE ARE 'WINGING' (I BELEIVE HE MEANS WHINGING !) SO THATS NOT ONLY AN ATTACK ON ME, BUT ALSO MY FELLOW BUILDERS, AND SORRY BUT IF ONE IDIOT ATTACKS ME, OR MY FRIENDS, I WILL STAND UP FOR US. Evil or Very Mad

I ALSO BELIEVE HE HAS MADE A BIG ENOUGH FOOL OF HIS SELF, FOR ANYBODY READING THE FORUM TO SEE THAT, AND ALSO SEE THE SUPPORT THE NORMAL BUILDERS GIVE EACH OTHER.

REGARDS
BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Back to top Go down

Post  AlexinSuffolk Wed 26 Aug 2009, 8:39 am

Well I am just glad that these forums weren't about when I was getting or should that be awaiting my bits for Billy Burrell (My 4 inch Traction Engine).

As I have to admit I may have typed something I may have regretted, the Kit way of building an engine is great, but how ever many kits you have lined up, your always chomping at the bit for parts from kits you ain't got yet.

Unfortunately Modelworks didn't always give it to you straight whereas to be fair to Dean and Steve, they are trying to juggle a lot of balls in the air, such as introducing new products, producing the kits, improving the parts quality as well as keeping existing builders happy, I shall certainly be ordering something soon, but I just don't know...showmans or lyka...showmans or lyka...repeat after me... Wink

As for the forums well they are a good idea, and yes theres whinging as well as backslapping on all internet forums, but the man bungles taken umbridge with is far from an idiot, you only have to see his 4 inch Burrell and Trailer to know that, so why not just chill and look forward to seeing your engines in steam, after all thats what we're here for.

~Al~

AlexinSuffolk

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Wed 26 Aug 2009, 9:50 pm

Alex,

Don't for gods sakes be deterred by anything read. I guess at the end of the day, the forum doesn't take into account the different characters that build engines so it can be misread when someone doesn't take into account such things. I for one have had no issues with anyone on here but rest assured, I'd spit venom as quick as fart where someone to upset me BUT at the end of the day, we do ALL have a common ground and thats that we ALL are engine builders, be it 2" Burbs or 4" burbs etc, just something to keep in mind. It would appear that we as 2" builders come across as a little "Colourful" for want of a better description but it's all good banter, as long as the topics not lost in translation along the line. By the way, if any of you went for that bulls***t, I'm running for PM, if I can sit here straight faced spewing all that diplo stuff then bugger me, I should run for parliament, free beer n coal to all STW engine owners..

Right, beer drinking continues, catch yaz all later..

Regards

LilyJack Cool

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

PIPE CLAMPS AND STEERING CHAINS Empty Truce Called Please

Post  Steam Traction World Wed 26 Aug 2009, 11:52 pm

Hi Guys

I think things started to get a bit out of hand and escaleted unnecessarily. I agree whole heatedly with LilyJack and not just the bit about going for another beer. Our forum is a wonderful facility, it provides a great opportunity to share ideas, techniques as well as giving us all a laugh from time to time, but it can't share emotion, show body language, or easily show emphasis in our communication. Words used are often taken literally, but their emphasis has to be guessed at, often wrongly. We all know that by changing our tone of voice the same words can mean totally different things. Either Dean or me should have butted in and done our moderators job a bit earlier but we were off doing other things (playing with a Stanley type R..... great, I want one!!!)

So please, lets cool things down and start again. Afterall, this hobby of ours is supposed to be fun.

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Thu 27 Aug 2009, 1:01 am

THANKS STEVE, CAN I THEN RE-ASK MY SIMPLE QUESTION RE THE STEERING CHAINS AND CLAMPS, WITHOUT FEAR OF UPSETTING OTHERS, I KNOW YOU AND I CHATTED ON THE PHONE AND YOU ANSWERED IT FOR ME, BUT, AS MY ORIGNAL QUEST WAS TO GET AN ANSWER FOR ALL THE 2" BUILDERS, WOULD YOU KINDLY POST THAT INFO ON HERE.

CHEERS MATE
SEE YOU GUYS AT DORSET

BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Thu 27 Aug 2009, 7:24 am

Bungle

Don't you ever sleep, what you doing up at 1.01 am posting topics?

Ala

Big Al

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Thu 27 Aug 2009, 9:31 pm

HI SLIM AL, ONLY SLEEP WHEN I'M DRIVING !!!

I OWN A RECOVERY COMPANY, TEND TO SLEEP 3/4 HOURS, THEN EVERY COUPLE WEEKS CRASH FOR 12/14 HOURS. I'M OFF ON HOLIDAYS AS OF TONITE, AS CATCH UP THEN, WILL BE BACK TUESDAY - BEEN TOLD I AM NOT WORKING, YEAH RIGHT !!, THEN DOWN TO DORSET EARLY HOURS WED MORNING, KINDA SPLIT HOLS, TWO LOCATIONS. WILL YOU MISS ME !!!!! lol!

REGARDS
BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Fri 28 Aug 2009, 7:22 am

Bungle

Have a good holiday. Rumour is you're going toYorkshire !

Al

Big Al

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Fri 28 Aug 2009, 8:04 am

You'll soon know where he's going have a look and see if he's packed his rubber wellies. Laughing
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

PIPE CLAMPS AND STEERING CHAINS Empty Pipe Clamps & Steering Chains

Post  Steam Traction World Sat 29 Aug 2009, 3:51 pm

Hi Guys

The pipe clamps are due in along with the remaining pipes, injector etc etc.

We have found a much better steering chain. It's not spot on but it is a considerable improvement on the MW version. We have found better looking chain through MJ eng but the links arn't welded and its not very strong. Alan at MJ suggested silver soldering each link, but that would make it more costly than buying it from H Samuel. It has been ordered, infact it should have been in around the 1st week in Sept, unfortunately due to a miss communication with our supplier they didn't put it in the shipment. That means its likely to be mid October, hopefully just before we ship the last 2" Burrell kit.

Regards

Steve

p.s. The missing oiler from kit 24 will be sent with kit 17 (due out next week) along with the washer for the top of the governor.

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Sat 29 Aug 2009, 8:22 pm

Thankyou veary much Very Happy looking forward to it
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575