Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’

+8
JayBee
BurrellSimplicity
Flasback
Mark the spark
lynnr
Steve Traill
Simon C
bazzer
12 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 5 Empty Re: 4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’

Post  Midwest Steam Wed 21 Jun 2023, 11:35 pm

Some days it feels like life is kicking me in the shins, today wasn’t one of those days. While I’m not making the progress I’d like to make, anything is better than nothing. It is a marathon not a sprint

Todays I had put on some more bits, the differential/winch was fitted along with the flywheel brake. The diff will have to be adjusted some more with the spacers in the kit. Even with it not adjusted perfectly it did fit nicely and turns without issue. Also fitted the guard in place and also fits pretty well. It’s always a good idea to test fit parts before paint in case something doesn’t fit right. Next step will be to disassemble everything for paint and do the final assembly.

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 5 Img_1811

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 5 Img_1812

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 5 Img_1810

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 5 Img_1813
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2018-09-19

Dickinson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam Sun 25 Jun 2023, 7:04 pm

One step forward and two steps back, this build won’t get too far like that! However it’s a necessity to cut and fit the keys and get a good coat of paint on all the parts. Plus it’s easier to paint everything while it’s off the engine. Would have liked to have the gear change mechanism painted but there’s always next weekend, but I was able to paint the gears. The paint isn’t for looks it’s for rust prevention, once the gear guard and wheels are back on it won’t be seen very easily.

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 5 Img_1911

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 5 Img_1912

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 5 Img_1910
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2018-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Mon 26 Jun 2023, 9:51 pm

Midwest Steam wrote:The paint isn’t for looks it’s for rust prevention, once the gear guard and wheels are back on it won’t be seen very easily.......

Depends once its had a few years of oil lobbed on the gears and grim you wont ever see any rust Laughing took my gear guard off the other day and everything was well caked in oil and crud Laughing Laughing Laughing  made the decision it was best to let sleeping crud lie  Laughing  so refitted the guard back on.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5