Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another newbie looking for advice

+2
Robfishman
btiratsoo
6 posters

Go down

Another newbie looking for advice Empty Another newbie looking for advice

Post  btiratsoo Mon 01 Aug 2016, 4:20 pm

Afternoon all

I've just joined up after knowing about the forum for a while. I'm currently not in a position to buy an engine, but I will hopefully be in the near future. I've had a love affair with all things steam since I was a kid, especially traction engines. I'm a marine engineer and having sailed on various vessels all over the world have now settled down at home and work on a tug. This has lead to me having some more time on my hands as we work week on/ week off. Being in my early 30s I figured its a great time to start looking into building an engine.

My first question would be scale - having seen the 4" scale engines at various rallies, local one being the Bill Targett in Eastleigh, I think this would be a great size to work on as everything is a good size.

What sort of tools are required? Although able to use a lathe and mill I don't have one. I do however have a 10ft x 12ft shed and a fairly well stocked tool box! What do you guys use as an engine shed? Garage, shed, lock-up etc? If you use a shed do you have power to your mancave (or woman cave). Did you insulate it for winter layup? Oh my god so many questions......!

I think I'll stop there. Looking forward to seeing where this goes and getting chatting to you all.

Cheers for now, Ben

btiratsoo

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2016-08-01

Back to top Go down

Another newbie looking for advice Empty Re: Another newbie looking for advice

Post  Robfishman Mon 01 Aug 2016, 6:52 pm

Hi Ben

First of all welcome to the forum.  For the first question on tools in my case its been mainly hand tools, I do have bench polisher and a dremel.  Please see Lynn's comments here...

https://traction.forumotion.com/t2018-tools-required?highlight=tools

I've not needed anything like lathes as the parts really do come pre machined and if there is a problem STW get it sorted out very quickly. Having said that I've only had to take one bit back for minor adjustment.

Engine shed, this seems to vary depending on space.  When I started I built a timber framed workshop of about 6m x 3m.  With the showman's I was finding this rather cramped lately so I extended earlier in the year.  Its not insulated (got the materials but not had the time) this later in the year.  I should point out I have yet to complete my build so this will be more of an issue for me in the future.

I don't have power as such but run an extension lead out when needed.  Being on the south coast we don't get the cold weather like some parts of the country.

Hope that helps, and there is a lovely 4" Burrell Roller about hit the production floor at STW if that is appealing. Very Happy
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Mon 01 Aug 2016, 9:14 pm

Hi Ben

I suspect you've seen me at Bill Targett as we've been twice now and love the Rally.

Cant offer build advice as just an owner driver but theres loads of folks here who will be able to. I can say I've loved my last couple of years of ownership and the 4" Agri is lovely to steam, drive and I've found very forgiving when firing.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  btiratsoo Mon 01 Aug 2016, 10:37 pm

Fantastic chaps. Thanks for the replies. I certainly have admired the engines at Bill Targett. Didn't make it this year but the previous two were lovely. Even managed to get a drive on the roller Major Henry. It was in the paddock and the idea was for a donation to charity one could steer the engine. I got chatting to the kind gentleman who owned it and it turned into a childhood dream come true! Full on driving for a couple of laps.

These posts are hopefully the start of a great journey. When it will begin I'm not sure yet as we have just bought our first house, are about to get married and I was laid off last year! Great time to be looking at getting involved in the hobby.

Thanks for the shed advice Rob and hopefully see you at Hollycombe Chris. Great to see you're both Hampshire lads too.

Ben

btiratsoo

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Tue 02 Aug 2016, 5:09 pm

As rob said. My thread on tools used.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  btiratsoo Wed 03 Aug 2016, 10:19 pm

Thanks Lynn. I've got a good set of hand tools so that should be fine. Only thing I haven't got access to any more is a mill and lathe.

I'm thinking of joining an engineering society, Basingstoke Model Engineers seems like a good bet. Do any of you guys and girls belong to any?

Rob, I see you're a Hampshire man. Are you local to Eastleigh at all?

Ben

btiratsoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Wed 03 Aug 2016, 11:20 pm

If I threw a stone over the motorway it would land in it yes. Drop me a PM and you're welcome round to see the quality of what's produced and a chat about my experience with the build so far.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  btiratsoo Thu 04 Aug 2016, 9:24 pm

Rob, you're a gent fella. I'll send you a pm and see if we can arrange something. Thank you very much.

Ben

btiratsoo

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Fri 05 Aug 2016, 4:12 pm

Hi Ben, I'm a member of the Southampton Model Club. They meet in Bitterne. There is a website and some information on there. It is mostly trains but there are a few traction engine members too.
I know I'm building the 2" Burrell, but I only have basic hand tools, no lathe or milling machine, or any engineering experience.

You can get find a answer to most question you have on the forum, hope you enjoy your build.

Charlie

chas12154

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2015-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  hydro9 Thu 13 Oct 2016, 11:06 am

If you fancy a short trip along the M27/A3M to Horndean you're welcome to come and see the 4" Agricultural that I've recently finished building.
Send me a PM and I'll give you details.
Chris

hydro9

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2015-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down