Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie.....Llooking for Advise

+2
Tony King
wingman
6 posters

Go down

Newbie.....Llooking for Advise Empty Newbie.....Llooking for Advise

Post  wingman Mon 04 Apr 2016, 10:46 am

Hi everyone,I am contemplating placing an order for an STM 4" Burrell and just cannot make up my mind which one to go for, the agricultural or the single cylinder compound.
As this will be m first traction engine build I would value any advice or input that you guys can give me.

I have spoken to Dean at STM and he has given me loads of advise but would really value some imput from you guys that are building or steaming one.

Thanks guys.

John.

P.S I live in Pembrokeshire West Wales ..... does anyone else live in this neck of the woods or indeed wales that is building or built one It would be great to make contact with someone down here.
Thanks again.

wingman

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2016-03-31

Back to top Go down

Newbie.....Llooking for Advise Empty Newbie looking for advice

Post  wingman Mon 04 Apr 2016, 11:20 am

Sorry a spelling mistake on my behalf should read STW not STM

wingman

Back to top Go down

Newbie.....Llooking for Advise Empty Re: Newbie.....Llooking for Advise

Post  Tony King Mon 04 Apr 2016, 3:51 pm

Hello John, welcome to the forum!

If it were Me facing the choice of 4" single as opposed to 4" Single crank compound, then I would definitely go for SCC!!

However, it will be more expensive & probably more of a challenge to build, but in the end a far more "interesting" engine with more power & better economy I would think!... Either way, both are brilliant engines!

Just My personnel view!!

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Mon 04 Apr 2016, 4:07 pm

Hello and welcome John,

I would echo Tony's advise. I have more experience with full size singles and doubles and you cant go wrong with either.  They both have there pitfalls and were designed for very specific jobs.

Both will give you lots of fun but I would say this.  

There are loads of singles out there. There is a growing selection of Double Crank Compounds but not as many Single Crank Compounds. So if you want to be ahead of the trend and build something that will attract attention from other steamers I would go with the SCC.  It will have loads of power to stretch its legs out on those summer road runs and with extra water on board you wont have to worry about running out. It will be more economical to run also..  

I wish you the best of luck building your choice and hopefully seeing a few updates on here. .

Nick

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Mon 04 Apr 2016, 6:19 pm

Simplicity (Slightly) go with Argi

Something not seen as much so will stand out more. Be more powerful and economic go with the compound.

Either way there are plenty people on here that will give advise and if close enough lend a helping hand if needed.

Which ever one you go with! Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Mon 04 Apr 2016, 8:38 pm

Replied on the 4" agri version of this thread as a 4" owner driver, didnt see this one in time Embarassed

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Newbie.....Llooking for Advise Empty newbie looking for advise

Post  wingman Thu 07 Apr 2016, 6:19 pm

Hi Tony and thankyou for your advise all duly noted I have been in quite a quandrie of not knowing which way to go
I must say the details and pictures of your build are a real inspiration of what can be achieved all credit to you superb.

John.

wingman

Back to top Go down

Post  wingman Thu 07 Apr 2016, 6:30 pm

Hi Nick thankyou so much for your sound advice I am very grateful and have noted everything you have said .....as this is my first involvement in steam I want very much to make the right choice .......It will most certainly be a dream come true and the knowledge that STW all of you guys on here will be there to help me through any problems that I am bound to come across is a huge re assurance ......

John

wingman

Back to top Go down

Post  wingman Thu 07 Apr 2016, 6:37 pm

Hi Lynn

Thankyou for taking the time to give me your advice gratefully recieved and duly noted

I am already aware of what an inspiration you are to everyone on here and have followed your build through your threads on here what a beautiful engine you set the bar very high indeed well done buddy I take my hat off to you Tony and all of the other builders on here incredible.

John

wingman

Back to top Go down

Post  wingman Fri 08 Apr 2016, 10:07 pm

Hi,
Well I,ve done it..........after so many questions and so much helpful advise from everyone I made my decision and have paid my deposit on a
4" burrell Agricultural and now I can't wait for the first kit to arrive and make a start.
I went with vulcanised tyres having read how messy and sometimes difficult they can be to fit.

A very big thankyou to everyone who gave me their advise and of couse Dean at STW for being there to answer all of my endless questions...I am really happy with the choice that I've made and as I've said already .....can't wait.

Regards.

John

wingman

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Fri 08 Apr 2016, 11:49 pm

Good choice, great engine, enjoy the journey!
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  wingman Sat 09 Apr 2016, 12:03 am

Thanks Steve .......I will keep you posted

wingman

Back to top Go down