Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finesse lining tape

5 posters

Go down

Finesse lining tape Empty Finesse lining tape

Post  wingman Sat 30 Jul 2016, 9:36 am

Help,has anyone any tips on seperating the clear film from the line guide strips,I have set all my lining out on the tender using the finesse tape but every time I try to remove the clear film that is over the line guides I end up wrecking my tape ends Any suggestions or help would be much apreciated.

John.

wingman

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2016-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Sat 30 Jul 2016, 11:02 am

Hi John, I'm no expert, but I found, if you leave the tape ends, where possible, longer than the line you require, then get a Stanley knife, or similar sharp knife, and hold end of tape on one finger, with the backing on your finger, peal the brown part off, leaving the backing on your finger. Then you can press any of your tape that has come off your part back on and then as you peal the backing off, use another finger to press the two lining parts, back to where you want it. Corners are a pain, but I tried to do one side of the lining strip first, then do abit of the other side.
Its all trail and error I'm afraid. All you can do is your best.

Charlie

P.S. Take a look at my thread, MY BURRELL NEW BUILD. I have pics of my tender on there.
Not as good as some on here, but its the best I can do.

chas12154

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2015-01-21

Back to top Go down

Finesse lining tape Empty Re: Finesse lining tape

Post  Robfishman Mon 01 Aug 2016, 8:13 am

Hi John

Yes, as Charlie said leave the ends long and you should be ok.

Regards

Rob
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  wingman Tue 02 Aug 2016, 6:48 pm

hI Charlie,
Thanks for your advise I'm still trying with the tape left the ends longer but struggling to get the clear off,I guess its just me .

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of your thread, My Burrell,wow I have to say great job mate and your lining looks really good,great inspiration to keep at it thanks.

I still can't get any pics on here have tried several times without success. again just me I guess.

What kit are you on now.

Great work buddy .

John.
Thanks Rob for your advise again your engine is looking fantastic I would love to build a showman's myself and will certainly be going to a larger scale if all is a success with the 2". just have to wait and see.

John.

wingman

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Tue 02 Aug 2016, 9:35 pm

In the start of the photo section. There is instructions on uploading and displaying pictures.

With the tape. I used a set of square ended tweezers. You can get under the edge of the backing at the cut end and peal it off no problem.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  wingman Tue 02 Aug 2016, 11:36 pm

Hi Lynne,thanks for your reply ,great suggestion I will give the tweezers a try ........ (I do have great problems with my hands and fingers due to an illness but I shall percivier).
As for uploading photo's I think I have read everything on here and tried but can't seem to get them onto the forum I shall try again.

thanks a million,

John.

wingman

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Wed 03 Aug 2016, 3:35 pm

Hi John, Thanks for your kind words, regarding my engine and thread. I too have had problems loading pics on here. There is a thread, tell you how to get pics uploaded on here. Sometimes I can do, sometime I can't, its hit and miss, trail and error!! As it is with most things in life.

I am on kit 15, the steering etc. I haven't yet, had my engine together. After getting the boiler, attaching the cylinder block and working on the cladding, painting and lining, I am a few days away from starting to assembling the parts. Have put firehole doors on, the extension for the water glass and painted the whole boiler matt black.

I can't wait to see the engine on its wheel, hornplate and tender on the boiler, I have the smokebox fitted, so starting to see the engine come together from the parts I have been working on for the last year.

The tweezers was a good idea, I tried using them when I lined the, hornplate end, of the cladding, was easier to get hold of the end and then able to pull the clear backing off.

I know what you mean, about your fingers and hands. I have chunky fingers and a touch of arthritis.

You can learn a lot from the threads on here, I tend to read most of the new messages, an take note from others experiences and learn how to solve your own problems as they occur.

Keep trying to upload pics, I'm sure you will get there in the end. Looking forward to see your pics and your engine coming together as time goes by.

Charlie

chas12154

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2015-01-21

Back to top Go down

Finesse lining tape Empty Peeling back the ends of finesse lining tape

Post  MikeBelham Tue 02 Jun 2020, 1:39 pm

Hi Folks,

I wish I'd found this thread earlier having just had the same problem myself.

I agree that leaving the ends long enough helps, but, I also found that if you use two hands and bend the backing back flat against the tan section while pulling the tan section in the opposite direction it comes off quite well.
MikeBelham
MikeBelham

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2020-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down