Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

kit 1 wheels

+3
Robfishman
lynnr
mooreheat
7 posters

Go down

kit 1 wheels Empty kit 1 wheels

Post  mooreheat Fri 09 Dec 2011, 10:46 pm

Yes, both front wheels built with rubber tyres fitted, i am sat here now looking at my wheels feeling i have really achieved somthing, the machining from STW was spot on and as description states de burring, sanding and fitting required. over the weekend i intend to mask the tyres and sandblast the wheels and get a coat of primer on. I must say the 2" front wheels are a bit fiddly for me with sausage fingers but we got there.

how many 2" builders have started this time? it would be good to have some company on here, the 4" appears to have lots of people.

mooreheat

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-10-11

Back to top Go down

kit 1 wheels Empty Masking tape and rubber

Post  lynnr Sat 10 Dec 2011, 8:03 am

Hi Moorheat

Watch the time the masking tape is on the rubber as the adhesive gets harder to remove after about 2 days for low tack masking tape. Took me over a week of graft to remove the tape from my front wheels.

Welcome to the build.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

kit 1 wheels Empty Re: kit 1 wheels

Post  Robfishman Sat 10 Dec 2011, 11:02 am

I found the blue scotch masking tape to be the best. Left it on my fronts for two weeks and it could be easily removed, however when doing the top coat I left it on three weeks and spent an hour removing it. It's quite a bit more expensive but I think worth it.

Welcome to the start of your build, I hope you enjoy it as much as we are.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Sat 10 Dec 2011, 12:46 pm

I used flexible tape from Halfords left it on for up to three weeks, still came off OK but did leave a bit of the adhesive behind but this was easily removed with paper towel dipped in light oil ( 3 in 1) and took no more than 5 minutes a wipe off the adhesive. Also left the tyre looking black and clean. This was a tip I picked up when putting sticking in carpet in a car, any adhesive on the carpet pile comes off with this method.

I only started my 4" build in July so not far ahead of you.

Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Mon 12 Dec 2011, 9:22 am

Mooreheat

If you're having trouble with sauasge fingers whilst building the front wheels you wait till you get to some of the other kits!

Big Al

Big Al

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  northburrell Tue 13 Dec 2011, 6:00 pm

I used some random pizza boxes ( I think from Tesco) that had a round hole in the front to see your yummy grub through.. this hole happened to be the correct size to fit over the tire and have a nice snug fit to the rim to stop paint spray.. I have two or three still for the other wheel that i've still not painted yet! might be worth seeing what you can find in the you local food store you mgiht get lucky... (wondering around with a tape measure is not cool though) santa rendeer rendeer rendeer

northburrell

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  chrisnchrisroberts Tue 13 Dec 2011, 9:55 pm

Wandering around with a tape measure? I never use them as a rule. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

chrisnchrisroberts

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down