Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Builder 1st post

+2
Mike King
wingman
6 posters

Go down

New Builder 1st post Empty New Builder 1st post

Post  wingman Tue 28 Jun 2016, 2:50 am

Hi
I placed my order at the end of may 2016 for a 2" burrell and have recieved kits 1 2 3 7 and 8 so far (kits 4 and 5 were delayed ).I am totally delighted with the workmanship and quality of all the kits so far and I applaud everyone at STW for their committment and obvious dedication.I was initialy going to go for the 4" agricultural or SCC and after much thoughtadvise and soul searching I thought I would go the 2" route to see how it goes I must say I couln't be more pleased.......Fantastic loving every minute so far.
I am currently working on the tender which is comming together nicely, will have to be thinking about a colour soon but can't quite decide.

I do have a couple of questions so far so here goes, The drain plug in the bottom of the tender tank does it require any form of sealant or ptfe or has everyone fitted it as it comes. Secondly what are your opinions regarding use of the Isoflex primer inside the tank I have read a couple of threads where it has been said not to bother, just wondered how everyone felt.
I will post some pics as and when I can work out how if anyone is interested.
John.

wingman

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2016-03-31

Back to top Go down

New Builder 1st post Empty Re: New Builder 1st post

Post  Mike King Tue 28 Jun 2016, 8:09 am

Hi,
I fitted the drain plug as it comes. With the isoflex being the sealant. I cant see why anyone would not want to use primer to isoflex the tender.thats the only way i would have thought that the isoflex would be guaranteed to stick. I put three coats of isoflex. There will be loads of info on this forum, plus STW are always on hand to help out.
Mike

Mike King

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2014-09-04

http://www.mikekingphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  wingman Tue 28 Jun 2016, 6:45 pm

Hi Mike,
thanks for your advise,with regards to the isoflex in the build notes it does state to use the primer but there seem to be mixed opinions ,hence the question.

Many thanks
John.

wingman

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Tue 28 Jun 2016, 6:53 pm

For the sake of a few quid,why would you not want to use the primer it cleans and prepares the surface and helps with adhesion,as recommended by the manufactures
I certainly don't want to find a few years down the line that the coating has come off.
But it is your choice.
Steve H:D
Steve H
Steve H

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2014-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Tue 28 Jun 2016, 6:55 pm

I've sealed my tank with POR-15 Fuel Tank Sealer, however in the bowser I didn't prep properly and it pealed off and I had to re do it. When speaking to others they have used Hydrate 80 which having used both they said was better. I've not used it though as yet.

Yes PTFE on the drain plug.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  wingman Tue 28 Jun 2016, 7:06 pm

Hi Steve,
Thankyou for your advise,that was my thinking also and I already have the primer from doing the front wheels.
There are a couple of posts saying don't use it, just wondered if anyone had experienced problems in the long term.

Thanks for the info Rob is Isoflex something that you have had problems with as you chose an alternative.

John.

wingman

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Tue 28 Jun 2016, 8:20 pm

Hi, I used the primer too, found it gives a good base for the Isoflex to stick to. i know some hhave used other stuff, but STW recommends it, so that is good enough for me.

Charlie

chas12154

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2015-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Tue 28 Jun 2016, 8:46 pm

John.

Not had a problem with isofix, but I've not tested the bowser since it was applied. If you have it from the front wheels is use it.

Kind regards.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Sat 02 Jul 2016, 1:57 pm

I used a nylon washer on the drain plugs for both tender and belly tank on my road Loco. It saved having to keep applying PTFE tape every time I took them out.
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  wingman Tue 05 Jul 2016, 10:28 pm

[]Thanks for all of the advise really helpfull,I expect that I will be looking to you all for more help as the build progresses.Brilliant forum and so good to know that theres help and advise out there

I have now sealed the tender tank with isoflex and i did use the primer all went well, waiting for kit 9, the hornplates to arive but I hear that Isobel and Steve are on holidays at the moment so may be next week, I guess its time to decide on a colour scheme I must say my first thoughts were burrell plum but still not sure.

Been trying to put some pics on here but not having much sucess, Do I have to use Photobucket.......

John

wingman

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Wed 06 Jul 2016, 2:27 pm

Hi John, Using Photobucket is the easiest way to post pictures on here. There is a thread that tells you how to upload pictures from Photobucket to here.
Hope you have fun with your build and keep us up to date on your thread.

Charlie

chas12154

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2015-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down