Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cylinder Block

2 posters

Go down

cylinder Block Empty cylinder Block

Post  hartshaulage Fri 12 Jun 2015, 9:33 pm

]Hi all, i received my cylinder block a few month ago and have only just gotten around to prepping it ready for the hopeful arrival of my boiler  at the end of the month. However when i came to test the pistons in the cylinder i found that even after deburing they would not go in (as shown in the video), so i went out and brought a small Honing tool and set about gently working that through, after about 30 passes in each direction i have ended up where the piston slides straight through nicely, although on the video it does jam at the very end so i shall do another 10 pass's tomorrow to rectify this.

Just thought id share this to see if any one else had this problem, and if so how did you rectify it?

Russ
hartshaulage
hartshaulage

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2014-01-22

Back to top Go down

cylinder Block Empty Re: cylinder Block

Post  phil gomez Sat 13 Jun 2015, 6:19 am

Thanks for the video Russ.
That very intresting you would think STW would test the cylinder block to make sure the piston fits as this is quite important?
Phil.

phil gomez

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2014-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post  hartshaulage Sat 13 Jun 2015, 8:03 am

Yes that did cross my mind phil, its not just the cylinders that have this issue i forgot the name of the part but there is another part that attaches to the cylinder and has a part screwed on the end of the piston, this also will not fit and slide so i shall need to hone that out as well, i shall post a video when to get to that part.

Its all a good learning curve and another skill to add to the ever growing collection during the build process though so i cannot complain

Russ
hartshaulage
hartshaulage

Back to top Go down

Post  phil gomez Sat 13 Jun 2015, 8:29 am

That's the cross head fitting in to the trunk guide, again that needs to be a good fit.
Out of intrest, what type of honing tool did you use just in case I have to go down that route.
The problem with this part of the assemble is all the parts need to fitted when being made due to tolerances differences within the different components a couple hundred of a mill is the difference between a good fit or not fitting at all?
I have to say what I've seen so far is not given me much confidence. Only time will tell if I'm wrong or not.
Phil.

phil gomez

Back to top Go down

Post  hartshaulage Sat 13 Jun 2015, 8:47 am

Thats the one the cross head into the trunk guide, I use this one from cromwell tools it has interchangeable ends on it https://www.cromwell.co.uk/KEN5032940K , I agree with the problem i understand its not possible to test all the parts due to material delays and them being manufactured at different times, I shall look forward to seeing if you have these problems or if any other builders have had them

Russ
hartshaulage
hartshaulage

Back to top Go down

Post  phil gomez Sat 13 Jun 2015, 9:01 am

That's a nice looking tool.

phil gomez

Back to top Go down

Post  hartshaulage Sat 13 Jun 2015, 5:44 pm

phil gomez wrote:That's a nice looking tool.

Yer its not bad, ive had to admit defeat though a friend who is a machinist came round and took the cylinder away from me as it was going slightly outta shape, one end jammed up the other was nice and free :/

Russ
hartshaulage
hartshaulage

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down