Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Regulator Quadrant

5 posters

Go down

Regulator Quadrant Empty Regulator Quadrant

Post  AndrewR Fri 16 Aug 2013, 5:53 pm

Hi All,

Does anyone have a picture of the regulator quadrant with the slots for the reversing lever cut?
With the latest batch of engines they have left it for the builder to cut them rather than building an adjustment mechanism into the rod. The pictures in the instructions show 3 forward. 3 reverse and 1 middle slot - however - in full reverse my lever only goes back to just past half way, ie no where near enough room to cut all those slots Shocked

Any pictures, help much appreciated.

Cheers Andrew
AndrewR
AndrewR

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-08-15

Back to top Go down

Regulator Quadrant Empty Re: Regulator Quadrant

Post  lynnr Fri 16 Aug 2013, 9:19 pm

My picture thread shows the quadrant. For reverse you only need 1 slot. Full. As you are not often sitting in reverse.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Sat 17 Aug 2013, 8:20 am

Hi Andrew,

As Lynn points out, you don't really need three slots for reverse, however, I've done two on mine, so I can notch it back a bit to save on steam!!

Here's a pic showing my quadrants & as you have observed the notches are near the front, but you will also observe the reversing lever is to the rear of all the notches, so needs the "extended" quadrant to slide in!! :-

Regulator Quadrant Te110

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Regulator Quadrant Empty Reply with quote Re: Regulator Quadrant

Post  AndrewR Sat 17 Aug 2013, 9:54 am

Many thanks, will go ahead and cut the slots today.
AndrewR
AndrewR

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Thu 22 Aug 2013, 12:19 am

Andrew

I would suggest not cutting the slots until you are in steam as the furthest position cannot be to far forward or back as the valve gear can be overstressed if it is set to far forward or backwards. the easiest way is to run the engine without the slots but slide in a small flat screwdriver at the end of the travel and slide it up and down as the engine runs to find the point just before the valve gear starts to make the reversing lever jump. If you had the slot filed here then locking the reversing lever by the slot in this position will mean the valve gear components will try to bend/break. You will see what I mean during holding it by hand.

There is a post possibly on the DCC Road Loco thread about this, I think HIGHRESSURE put it on after he had gained advice from Julia on here about this.
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Thu 22 Aug 2013, 5:38 pm

Yes totally agree with Brian here, I have already replaced my die blocks as I set the lever furthest forward and stressed it all out and pulled it too much. I have since taken the quadrant off, welded the old slots up and recut them in situ. As Brian says best done in steam and then mark the slots and take off to cut.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down