Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you sitting comfortably

3 posters

Go down

Are you sitting comfortably Empty Are you sitting comfortably

Post  lynnr Tue 30 Apr 2013, 8:14 pm

No I am not.

Been sitting on then engine over the last couple of evenings. My arms are too short to reach the controls.
I am going to have to fabricate a new seat where I sit about 8" lower and inline with the wheel. The foot peg is going to have to be moved as well.

In that position I can steer better and reach through the rear to the regulator without problem. It also makes seeing the pressure gauge and water level much easier as a quick tilt of the head sideways affords a clear view at a good angle. Firing can also be accomplished from this position by adding the coal to the shovel with the left hand then feeding into the fire with the right on the shovel.

Only issue is front line visibility. There is a larger blind spot for close range but a quick look under the canopy from the middle clears this. Manovering is fine as you can look out left along the side of the engine and see the front wheel and smokebox.

I plan to make the seat this weekend so will let you see what I have then.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Are you sitting comfortably Empty Re: Are you sitting comfortably

Post  highpressure Sat 18 May 2013, 1:53 pm

I was until I tried to make a single seat and drive with the roof on!!

However having had a look at your shots at the last do I started thinking as it look like the showmans was a lot easier to get to the controls on what should effectively be the same engine, and then during one of those eureka moments it came to me. I have been trying to go about this the wrong way thinking that making the roof higher was the way to go when in fact it made it more difficult! Coupled with the fact that I am also sitting square in the middle of the tender as opposed to your left hand side.

So this morning I dropped the roof down and fitted the double seat to the lower frame and apart from a bit of leg issue it is much better to get to the controls and I can see a fair bit and a quick glance down the left side gives adequate road view. Still slightly concerned about rallies and dogs/small kids running infront of the "blind spot" but probably keep the roof in place for just parades, playpen etc. and perhaps have Nathan walk in front if moving to the arena.

As seen, I can now reach the controls without being bashed in the face!! I look so thrilled about this!!!

Are you sitting comfortably Img_0710

Drivers veiw from the seat.

Are you sitting comfortably Img_0711

The view from the left side glance.

Are you sitting comfortably Img_0712
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sat 18 May 2013, 2:07 pm

That's the ticket!
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Are you sitting comfortably Empty Driving position

Post  richspoo Sat 18 May 2013, 9:40 pm

Simplicity does not come home until the end of June and having bought it this week and sitting at the rear I too have some concerns about the driving position.

I too have that blind spot which will make driving difficult but hope that with some time at the controls it won't be too bad. My 2" scale Fowler Showmans was not easy but that was die to the size of the thing rather than this situation.

Mine only has a single which I would like to change for a double at some time, my crew man will have to be on some form of trailer which may have to be a cheap and nasty until I can get something more in line with the period I have been told about a 4" living van but am waiting to see if it still exists and if so at what cost. Given i have blown my budget on the engine not sure i will get approval for more expense.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Richard

richspoo

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2013-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sat 18 May 2013, 10:04 pm

I have added the photos of my seat for completeness.

Are you sitting comfortably Null_zpsca090963

Seat frame
Are you sitting comfortably 9e6c878b34a4e58d08b09c7a8f6e7722_zpsf1a57879

Are you sitting comfortably D8712c07e08a696f612863a8e9b3ae8e_zpsddee13b3

Are you sitting comfortably 54c2dc80bc44832abc5861eeb2a0a321_zps9928fddd

To reduce stress on the seat frame while towing. I fitted a tube from the central tow pin through the frame to provide the tow hitch at the back of the seat.

Are you sitting comfortably 26b3d2f5c294cdb2589e5d6a222a344a_zps5647584c

Are you sitting comfortably Fec2c813dd289a12cb59d3cebb08da76_zps00a3095d

No tilting with this securing system. The angle over the top of the tender is almost full width as well.
Are you sitting comfortably F2eea845088d4885de3f527fe8965b60_zpsc5552b57

Are you sitting comfortably 98c5ce5419251703ed6321d2794bcd59_zps58ffba5c

Still need to sort out padded seats, just been using the pad from the single seat as supplied.

lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Are you sitting comfortably Empty Driving position

Post  richspoo Sat 18 May 2013, 10:17 pm

I feel a mod coming on!

Your water bowser looks great are they available or did you make it from plans?

How much water does the engine hold? how far can you go on a fill. My two inch was more or less constantly calling for water

I guess i need to carry both water and coal behind on some sort of trailer.

richard

richspoo

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sun 19 May 2013, 6:49 am

Hi Richard

The water bowser is a stw kit and holds 8 gal. I think the engine tops out at about 10 gal. With the engine notched up I ran around the rally field for 7 hours and used 2 complete fills and 1/4 an engine fill. That was including the steam up in the morning. So she has plent legs.

It's amazing how much water can be lost via the safety valves but I managed the full day without them going off once, other than on purpose at steam up to test.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Are you sitting comfortably Empty are you sitting comfortably

Post  richspoo Sun 19 May 2013, 8:38 am

thanks for that. its a lot better than my two inch which was always thirsty.

You did good not to blow off steam guess your well used to the engine then? Thats the secret of the whole job dont make steam to just get rid of it, thats what an old boy who helped me always said, keep a reasonable sized even fire dont get it too hot and you are ok, you can always add coal but not easy to reduce

Is the kit relatively straight forward to build? I guess i need to get to see one. I have been told about a showman's living van that was for sale last year and it is thought it did not sell. That would be good

Richard

richspoo

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sun 19 May 2013, 8:50 am

Hi Richard.

If you have a look in the photo threads you will find my thread of building the water bowser. I, all but the springs, built the bowser in 4 days including into first top coat. The kit is very simple as there is actually not a lot of parts.

Water bowser
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Sun 19 May 2013, 4:13 pm

richspoo wrote:Simplicity does not come home until the end of June and having bought it this week and sitting at the rear I too have some concerns about the driving position.

Having read this and your new member posting have you bought an STW kit? or a finished engine? If its a kit you'll only get the wheels in June unless you have bought all the kits in one hit in which case you'll have a lot of boxes and building!! If its a finished engine where did that come from??

Just curious. All the same welcome aboard and perhaps we'll see you at Banbury for the STW do?

Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Are you sitting comfortably Empty are you sitting comfortably

Post  richspoo Mon 20 May 2013, 7:46 am

Hi there Kevin. I have purchased a finished engine, It is coming from Preston Services and was the one shown on the back of this month's Old Glory. I so much admire you guys that can build your own but I am not graced with those skills.

I have owned a 2" Fowler Showman's previously but nothing quite like this one. I have been lucky in life to date ( some say you make your own ) and hence have the money in order I too can join a very exclusive band of people.

Not sure about Banbury I will try to get there if possible, I am intending to take the engine out to some shows but most likely in East Anglia, I do have an issue with some of these however I wanted to go to my local show at Weeting, I got the forms and found out you HAVE to attend all three days. I sadly for working commitments cannot go on the Friday which it seems excludes me from the event, so will not be able to attend.

Richard

richspoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down