Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2K Epoxy Primer

+2
lynnr
Ian the Burrell builder
6 posters

Go down

2K Epoxy Primer Empty 2K Epoxy Primer

Post  Ian the Burrell builder Fri 28 Dec 2012, 11:27 am

Has anyone tried using 2k epoxy primer on their engines? The classic car and bike restorers seem to swear by it as the very best base to paint on for a long lasting rust free coating.
Ian the Burrell builder
Ian the Burrell builder

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-12-06

Back to top Go down

2K Epoxy Primer Empty Re: 2K Epoxy Primer

Post  lynnr Fri 28 Dec 2012, 11:36 am

I use Imron 2k primer and top. Works very well.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian the Burrell builder Fri 28 Dec 2012, 12:01 pm

Were can I buy that from and is it easy to put on?
Ian the Burrell builder
Ian the Burrell builder

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Fri 28 Dec 2012, 12:35 pm

I get it from my local industrial supplier. They have a paint shop.

Very easy to use but you will need a mask! As quite toxic. When going to get do not mention it is for a miniature.

lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  the coleman Fri 28 Dec 2012, 12:42 pm

You could try auto paints in Brighton or Mitchell's paint burgess hill. Hope this helps
the coleman
the coleman

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Fri 28 Dec 2012, 8:03 pm

lynnr wrote:When going to get do not mention it is for a miniature.

Sounds ominous.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Fri 28 Dec 2012, 8:17 pm

My paint factors are ok with it being for home use. But a lot will not sell to "non pro" workshops.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

2K Epoxy Primer Empty Respirator

Post  Kiwiconnection Fri 28 Dec 2012, 9:48 pm

Two pack epoxy primers are carcinogenic with accumulative results so a full face respirator is absolutely essential if you are going to use these products. If you can smell the fumes your mask isn’t up to the standard required or the filters require changing. Most paint suppliers will advise you about the required type of respirator you will need.
Kiwiconnection
Kiwiconnection

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian the Burrell builder Tue 01 Jan 2013, 8:59 pm

I cant find a bad thing said about 2K epoxy primer apart from the health issues but a good respirator will sort that . I have emailed a large number of paint suppliers and manufacturers for their suggestions of the most suitable paint system to use. I'll report back with any info I get.
Ian the Burrell builder
Ian the Burrell builder

Back to top Go down

Post  Adam Brown Wed 02 Jan 2013, 9:25 am

I suspect most of your emails will lead to a recommendation of 2k products. Simply because these are pretty much the best products on the market for automotive and other uses. Most manufacturers will not fully understand the requirements of models or steam in general and will lead you down this path. Thats not to say that 2k products are unsuited to task (they're not) but I do believe that 1k products such as our Coach Enamels and associated products are more appropriate to this market

When looking at primers for corrosion protection and the like its important to realise that these models and most vintage vehicles type projects are not going to see the sort of abuse that the high end 2k epoxy primers are there to deal with. They will be garaged, covered, and probably wrapped up in a warm woolly blanket! They will spend 20-30 days a year outside chugging around and I suspect all nights on a rally field will be spend in a trailer or awning. They are not going to see the worst of the weather or prolonged exposure to even mild weather conditions

It important I would say not to look too deeply at such things. From my point of view the traditional way of painting the full size things is with a brush and coach enamel. You may not be able to scale down the brush strokes but it is still the most appropriate way of painting an engine of any size. By applying with a brush you also put a hell of a lot more paint on than when you spray something which will help with long term durability.

The biggest risk I think these engines are at is from over-polishing!

This is not meant to be an advert for Craftmaster, just a balanced look from me trying to be as impartial as I can. There are I believe one or two on here using 2k, I doubt they'll encounter any problems (with the right precautions such as respirators and the like...) and will end up with a good quality hard wearing finish. Those brushing or spraying with our products will end up with a similarly good quality hard wearing finish.

Adam Brown

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2012-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down