Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The pain full things we do

+4
Steve Traill
highpressure
Steam Traction World
hudmut
8 posters

Go down

The pain full things we do Empty The pain full things we do

Post  hudmut Sun 04 Nov 2012, 3:30 pm

After all the time I've spent around drag cars,fast bikes and the hrs of road runs and steam rallys iv lived by one rule that i was given day one i started work and that was never stick your finger where you wouldn't stick your little man well yesterday I broke that rule for the first time. Saturday was the big day for my engine it got rolled out and steamed and all was as it should apart from a small short list ,taps leaking at manifold, one steam chest bolt needs a helicoil oh and a knock on the crank.

What has this all got to do with this post at a guess you can see it coming but ill tell you any way and that is even after all the years you spend around moving parts don't stick your finger in things that you would never stick your little man in because after getting my finger stuck in a cross head and a conrod trying to find my knock iv broken the end of my finger and iv got a blood blister from hell and may have to have small Op to fix it.

In sort don't get complacent iv been with engines 15 years and it still got me and I'm very angry with my self for doing it to. Evil or Very Mad

Just thought I'd share this with you as there is a few people out there I'm sure that are building a engine and have never used anything more deadly that a lawn mower and should take note.

You have been warned

hudmut
hudmut

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-07-05

https://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/hudmut/My%20little%20se

Back to top Go down

The pain full things we do Empty Re: The pain full things we do

Post  Steam Traction World Sun 04 Nov 2012, 3:40 pm

Owwwww, bet that bugger hurt & still hurts like hell. Hope you're ok & it gets better soon. Glad it was only your finger tho.

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Sun 04 Nov 2012, 4:56 pm

Been there, done exactly that, could have told you just what would happen, as Tim and Colin and others can attest to. Broke the end off mine and split it wide open, nail off too, hurt like hell.

The knock is more than likely to be the main bearing with the faintest of movement, take out both halves, rub each side on wet and dry or run in a mill if you have access to take about 0.2mm off each half and that will allow the adjuster to take out enough to loose it, did just the same on the LP side of the new engine and now a silent as a sewing machine.

Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

The pain full things we do Empty Looking for that knock

Post  Steve Traill Sun 04 Nov 2012, 6:06 pm

I've been there when looking for that elusive 'knock', fortunately it was only a 'crush' on the knuckles but still hurt!!

I look for knocks now when the engine is cold!

I think it could be some sort of 'right of passage' into engine ownership! welcome to the club.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Mon 05 Nov 2012, 12:01 am

You can point to any number of hazards on an engine, but its not so easy with a large bandage on your finger.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Mon 05 Nov 2012, 1:07 pm

Hi Stu,

That sounds painful but thanks for the reminder to all of us that these engines can bite. So far only squashed by thumb between wheel rim and brake block when rolling the engine forward. Currently sporting nothing worse than a black thumb nail.

Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Mon 05 Nov 2012, 1:18 pm

Father was helping me move Crystal back in to the garage last April and did not pay attention when pushing the wheel and got bitten by the crank.
Lots of expletives from father. But no lasting damage. Father was fine also.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  hudmut Mon 05 Nov 2012, 1:41 pm

It's sort of good to here that I'm not the only one that has taken the pain full right of passage but the good news is iv got away with it all no Op is needed every thing will be fine in 8 weeks and my boss just thought it was funny because he know I'm angry with my self for doing it and yup it was the big end that was knocking.

On a another note all this reminded me of a story that I read some where about a roller that runaway on a hill the tail goes that the drive got of in short order and left the poor steers man to fight it out. Well half way down the hill the engine hit a bank rolled over and pinned the poor steers man to the floor by his hip with the reversing lever now that is pain in its self but it gets even more pain full. The local black smith was called to try and cut the steer man free the poor black smith was asked to shuffle under a hot engine give the steer man a shot of brandy and then file his way thought the lever to set him free can you think in your head how much pain that steers man had to put up with for the hr or so it would of taken the blacksmith to file his way thought that lever. Any way the story goes they got him out but later he died in hospital i would of been happy to go as soon as I found out they was about to file there way thought that lever.
hudmut
hudmut

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-07-05

https://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/hudmut/My%20little%20se

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Mon 05 Nov 2012, 4:40 pm

Accidents happen. We all have a variety of tee shirts to attest to that. The secret is not to do it again.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down