Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking to connect with this year's Lyka MK2 Series builders.

3 posters

Go down

Looking to connect with this year's Lyka MK2 Series builders.   Empty Looking to connect with this year's Lyka MK2 Series builders.

Post  JPDenver Wed 22 Dec 2021, 6:43 pm

Greetings all.

I am looking to connect with those that are building the Lykamobile (MK2) in the 2021 series of kits.
I have seen a lot of older posts from Grier and Jim. Grier's build log is fantastic by-the-way.

I have not seen anything from the current series.  

Background:
I am a self-taught micro machinist that has been building small engines and water-crafts (RC Model Boats) for the past
10 years.  (See my you-tube channel in the signature if you are interested).   Anyway, turning 70 and changing to a
semi-retirement position, I find I want to increase the scale of my builds and picked the Lykamobile as my next project.
It may be my last big project, I hope to get a number of years of fun steaming before they take me away to the "home".

I contacted Dean last August and we came to the agreement that he would allow me to join the current build series,  
and since I did not want to receive the first kits until March-April 2022, that would give him time to "back-fill" the early kits
and I will start my project in the right sequence.

--------  
So - I would like to communicate, either in the open here, or via email (PM me) with those that are currently in the build cycle.
I assume Kit 11 or 12?  How's it going?  

I also need to stock up on a few larger tools - like an angle grinder? and supplies.  So that will be a topic as well.
For those in the USA, I am curious if there has been any issues with Customs. Any duties or tariffs?

Anyway,
Please reach out of you would like to share, and let's talk.

Much Appreciated,
Happy Holidays to All.

Jim Pope
Denver, CO
USA
JPDenver
JPDenver

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2021-07-25

Mutleybob likes this post

Back to top Go down

Looking to connect with this year's Lyka MK2 Series builders.   Empty JP

Post  AlanD Fri 31 Dec 2021, 5:27 pm

Jim,
I have all the parts (I think) to compete the build; but have been delayed by family problems.
I hope to return to building activities in the new year, to be recorded in https://alansloco.blogspot.com/.
Best of luck with your build.
Alan

AlanD

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2016-08-03

Goliewogs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Looking to connect with this year's Lyka MK2 Series builders.   Empty Re: Looking to connect with this year's Lyka MK2 Series builders.

Post  IanL Sun 30 Jan 2022, 8:31 am

Hi Jim,
Welcome to the Group.

I am one of the current build group, received kit 12 this week. (Kit one arrived March 2020, COVID issues) I have the brake system yet to fill with fluid its all fitted but I am looking to alter the way the system is designed to bleed. Which I think is not going to work well. So plan to add some more bleed nipples to each calliper and ignore the current bleed nipples fitted on the banjo connection which I plan on moving to the lower port. This way the system will be more like modern vehicle design i.e. fluid in at bottom air bleeds out the top.
The only issue I have had is that STW have changed the design of the middle hand brake cable mount. My chassis has the new design but was supplied with the old mounting plate. This was quickly replaced with the correct one from STW.
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Looking to connect with this year's Lyka MK2 Series builders.   Empty Break bleeding issues

Post  JPDenver Tue 01 Feb 2022, 4:06 am

Hello Ian,

Can you post some photos of the issue and the solution?

Even though I am fairly experienced in steam, I am VERY new to cars and related
technology. I have never bled brakes in my life. I am not sure I know what a bleed nipple would look like.
much less where/how to mount them.

Thanks,

Jim Pope

JPDenver
JPDenver

Back to top Go down

Looking to connect with this year's Lyka MK2 Series builders.   Empty Re: Looking to connect with this year's Lyka MK2 Series builders.

Post  IanL Wed 02 Feb 2022, 7:26 pm

I will take some pictures and try to upload them
IanL
IanL

Back to top Go down

Looking to connect with this year's Lyka MK2 Series builders.   Empty Getting things together

Post  JPDenver Thu 03 Mar 2022, 5:27 pm

Greetings again,
I am still hoping to hear from others that are in this year's build cycle.
It is still winter here in Denver, which means that the weather can be 70F today and 40F tomorrow,

I am hoping to get my first batch of kits (1-11) shipped out this month - (DEAN - HINT HINT)
So I am gathering the misc supplies.  

In reviewing Alan's build blog, I see that he is using a product called "Waxoyl" to protect the parts that are not
painted.  When I search here in the USA for the product, I find a source website that has a number of different products from them.
So- I am wondering which one he uses?  
This one seems a likely possibility -
https://www.waxoyl-usa.com/products/motor-care/rnw5113-motor-care-500ml.html

Can someone please enlighten me on the right product.  

Also- what products do other use to protect the raw steel pieces when not painting.  

Thanks,
Jim Pope
Denver, CO
USA
JPDenver
JPDenver

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Wed 13 Apr 2022, 10:07 am

https://www.waxoyl-usa.com/products/corrosion-protection.html

This looks like what was being talked about.
IanL
IanL

Back to top Go down

Looking to connect with this year's Lyka MK2 Series builders.   Empty Waxoyl vs Black Oxide

Post  JPDenver Wed 13 Apr 2022, 2:31 pm

Greetings,

So in my preparations for my build, I am looking for ways to protect the raw metal parts that may not get painted or powder-coated.
As discussed in the thread above, I came across the Waxoyl product mentioned in another build log.

There is a very limited distribution of the Waxoyl products here in the USA. But I found a source that sells it:
https://www.roversnorth.com/parts/rnw5005p_waxoyl_black_hardwax_plus_underbody_5_litre_1_32_gal_tin
From what I see it is a very thin coating that helps protect from moisture.

I also see some antique auto restorer supply houses selling a "Black Oxide" process to also be used to protect bare metals.
https://www.epi.com/insta-blak-333.html

I am asking for opinions from others who may have used either of these products as to which may appropriate for the un-painted
engine and drive parts on the Lykamobile.

Thanks for your opinions,

Jim Pope
Denver, CO USA

JPDenver
JPDenver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down