Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Die blocks.. critical for measurements??

2 posters

Go down

Die blocks.. critical for measurements?? Empty Die blocks.. critical for measurements??

Post  highpressure Thu 13 Sep 2012, 5:55 pm

During last weeks rather poor run the engine was labouring hard due to the resistance created by the pump getting stiff and also an air lock in the lubricator caused a lack of steam oil to enter the cylinders making it even more difficult to run. This had the effect of causing quite a bit of wear in the LP die block as the expansion link went back and forth resulting in about 1 - 1.5 gap fore and aft thus allowing the link to "flap about " as it goes back and forth. I will get a couple of new ones from " The Shop" as I have began to call it but just wanted to know how critacal it is that this is tight?? Clearly it will affect the timing but only in a marginal way and it looks like its only the LP side at this stage, and I suspect the odd mil or two wont make a massive difference but would like to have the info.

For those steaming a bit of advice, as you do the oil round before running bleed out the input to the non return valve to ensure there is no air lock otherwise it does cause problems. I have had an air lock on more than one occasion.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Die blocks.. critical for measurements?? Empty Re: Die blocks.. critical for measurements??

Post  Tim Watson Fri 14 Sep 2012, 12:34 am

Did you open out the expansion link when you bent the valve rod?

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Die blocks.. critical for measurements?? Empty Re: Die blocks.. critical for measurements??

Post  highpressure Fri 14 Sep 2012, 3:30 pm

Good point, don't know is the answer there but will have a look tomorrow and see if I can measure some areas. Probably need my favourite tool then to sort that out Shocked ( Lump hammer) Smile
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down